Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bad week to be a walleye

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Wanted to get the fishing out of the way before this hot blast came along, so spent the last two days beating up on the walleyes. Giving a pint of blood to the mosquitoes at the boat ramp each morning seems to be the price of admission.

Son is home for the week, with his girlfriend, so he wanted to make sure she got a good taste of his walleye fishing addiction. She if now fully indoctrinated.

Crazy to be trolling crankbaits through the shallow weeds, ripping Fireline to keep the weeds off your baits, and catching fat fish like this.
IMG_1140.JPG

Snot rockets are in big supply with the high water these lakes have had the last few years.
IMG_1157.JPG

A cool sun set on a great day on the water with my son, his girlfriend, and a lot of cooperative fish. Reminder of why I live in such a wonderful place like Montana.
IMG_1190.JPG

Nothing like an early start to make sure you have limits before the sun starts toasting your cheeks. After the great bite the first night, getting up at 4am was not a problem.
IMG_1223.JPG

Three limits of these porkers made for a good morning's work. And will make for some good meals over the next few weeks. If, my son doesn't eat them all before he heads back home.
IMG_1227.JPG

And now, back to the realities of life.

I've been doing the same thing. Filling the freezer with some good walleyes. The snot rockets are not allowed on my boat... even for pictures.

Anytime you need someone to intercept the pike,let me know Randy.Don't quite get it,aren't they both related?Walleye Pike kin to a Pike.

Anytime you need someone to intercept the pike,let me know Randy.Don't quite get it,aren't they both related?Walleye Pike kin to a Pike.

They aren't even closely related - Walleye is in the perch family. Northerns are related to muskies, pickeral, etc. I believe "pike" is some sort of shorthand for "piscivorous" meaning "fish eating," thus you get Walleye Pike, Northern Pike, Northern pikeminnow (formally squawfish), Newberg Pike, etc.

Take the Y bones out and pikers taste like walleye. Just hose down your net good, and make sure you air out your live well. If you don't want them, I'll take 'em.

Well there you have it.Just an observation but Walleye get the ugly award hands down in my book.But having never eaten a walleye I guess I should just quit and not lose any more ground.Good work Randy, I'll still offer my services to catch Mr. Pike and leave you to those over-sized perch.

Very nice. Glad you got to spend some time with your son too. . .he will remember all of those times when he gets older I'm sure of it. As for eating. . .hands down walleye over any other!!!!! Hope they are biting good in the BWCA in a few weeks!!

Looks like some quality family time Randy. Hopefully Matthew's girlfriend passed the test. :)

I'm not much of a fish eater, but walleye are hands down my favorite.

Love seeing how green it is up here in Montana!!! Great pictures!

......Hopefully Matthew's girlfriend passed the test. :)

Oh yeah. She aced it. Up and ready before it was time to leave, not a single complaint about the masses of bugs, reeled in some good fish, and nothing but smiles. Now, if she would just go to grad school in Montana, rather than Virginia it might serve to get Matthew back to Montana sooner, rather than later.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back