Backcountry rifle weight?

Savage 11 Lady Hunter. Tell me that stock looks comfortable for you to use.

Looking comfortable is different than feeling comfortable. Weatherby designed the stocks on their hard kicking rifles like that for a reason. You get a good cheek weld, and the force of the recoil is directed away from your face.

Does anyone carry a heavier rifle elk hunting? My current rifle setup is just over 10# all set up and doesn’t bother me at all. I’ve decided which rifle I’m going to get except can’t decide which model. One is 7.5ish# and the other 9.5# rifle only. Im in good hunting shape and have been on 2 mountain goat hunts so have an idea of mountain hunting even though my elk experience is limited to the breaks. I know heavier usually shoots better but obviously the weight adds up. Anyone out there use “heavy” rifles in the mountains?

I hunt high country here in CO with my 10#+ rifle for elk.

Couple of questions though. Is your current rifle accurate? Is there anything wrong with your current rifle? Are you comfortable shooting your current rifle? If your answers were- yes, no, yes......why do you need another rifle?

I am so used to carrying my old heavy 30-06 that I barely notice it.

I hunt high country here in CO with my 10#+ rifle for elk.

Couple of questions though. Is your current rifle accurate? Is there anything wrong with your current rifle? Are you comfortable shooting your current rifle? If your answers were- yes, no, yes......why do you need another rifle?

I am so used to carrying my old heavy 30-06 that I barely notice it.
I mostly just want a new rifle. I’ve never owned a rifle that wasn’t accurate. I want one larger caliber and the .300 win mag that I own is about 20 years and I don’t like it. It’s a shooter. It’s always been a shooter but I don’t like the gun, so time for something new.

I mostly just want a new rifle. I’ve never owned a rifle that wasn’t accurate. I want one larger caliber and the .300 win mag that I own is about 20 years and I don’t like it. It’s a shooter. It’s always been a shooter but I don’t like the gun, so time for something new.

Well, Elk aren't indestructible and they don't get any harder to kill each time a new caliber is introduced. I have seen elk taken with short action, long action and magnum cartridges. What cartridge are you looking at?

7mm rem mag. I have a 243, 257 wby, 270, and 300. My wife and I have taken cow elk with the wby and 270. I know they can kill elk. The 243 can too. I want a different rifle in that 7mag-300 range, so I’m going to buy one.

7mm rem mag. I have a 243, 257 wby, 270, and 300. My wife and I have taken cow elk with the wby and 270. I know they can kill elk. The 243 can too. I want a different rifle in that 7mag-300 range, so I’m going to buy one.

Nothing wrong with buying a new rifle! And the calibers you have listed (7mag, 300) are awesome choices.

Back