Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Backcountry rifle weight?

Huntin24/7,
Congratulations on the new rifle!
I hope you enjoy it! What scope are you planning for it?
No matter which scope you choose, give Schmalts a PM, he'll get you set up & treat ya right!
I’ve got a Vx3i 4.5-14x40 30mm. I haven’t bought the gun yet. Just been saving the money and trying to decide what to get. I thought long and hard about a bergara that was about 10# gun only, but in the end i feel confident in going with Remington which is what I’ve mostly always had.

I’ve got a Vx3i 4.5-14x40 30mm. I haven’t bought the gun yet. Just been saving the money and trying to decide what to get. I thought long and hard about a bergara that was about 10# gun only, but in the end i feel confident in going with Remington which is what I’ve mostly always had.

You should do yourself a favor and try hold the Mountian SS 6.5lbs and AWR 7.35lbs at the same time to compare side by side. With that scope, rings, and ammo your adding about a 1.5lbs. A finished 8lb rifle is nice.

You should do yourself a favor and try hold the Mountian SS 6.5lbs and AWR 7.35lbs at the same time to compare side by side. With that scope, rings, and ammo your adding about a 1.5lbs. A finished 8lb rifle is nice.
I would strongly consider that, but this is a gun my wife would occasionally use too. I’d prefer if she can shoot it without a brake if possible and that’s why I like the idea of a bit more weight.

Gotcha!
Just remember too much can be a hinderence for her too.

Better to get her own rifle with a stock that fits her properly.
Weman generally can use more drop, cast off, shorter length of pull, and a higher comb.

If you got a stock that properly fit her, and you tried to shoot it, you'd be "What The Heck!".

We’re literally the exact same height and arm length. She shoots a 257 weatherby that I bought as well as a 243 and shoots them very well. I want one larger caliber and will be used almost entirely by me, but she probably will use on a couple hunts over the years. She fits our rifles the same as me.

My smart azz buddy says, if you're concerned about a couple extra pounds of rifle, maybe you should take those pounds off your gut.
Kinda makes sense.
You cal lose 50lbs off your gut if ya have it to lose, it aint gonna make that 12lb rifle on your shoulder feel any lighter.

We’re literally the exact same height and arm length. She shoots a 257 weatherby that I bought as well as a 243 and shoots them very well. I want one larger caliber and will be used almost entirely by me, but she probably will use on a couple hunts over the years. She fits our rifles the same as me.
She may be the same size as you, in appearance, but bone and muscle structure are different.
While she can possibly shoot your rifles and be accurate with them, trust me, they don't "fit" her.
My wife will shoot my Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag, and she's more accurate than i am with it, but she'll be the first to say it doesn't fit her right.

As i said, more drop, more cast off, shorter LOP, higher comb, she'll far outshoot you!

If you run accross a Boyds AT-One stock at a store, run the adjustments so she's comfortable with it. Then you get on it.
You'll scratch your head wondering how it could possibly be comfortable to her. Cause it won't be comfortable to you.

That mountain rifle in a 280 would do everything your talking about. If you want a little more some day, run a Ackley reamer in it.

There is no way in hell my wife would be happy carrying that 9.5 lbs finished AWR. She carries a Savage Lady Hunter that comes in just over 7 and loves it. She wouldn’t even shoot my rifle because it didn’t have enough comb height.

Savage 11 Lady Hunter. Tell me that stock looks comfortable for you to use.

Attachments

• PhotoPictureResizer_200209_174841556.png
    PhotoPictureResizer_200209_174841556.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 4
The weight of the rifle isn’t an issue for her at all since I always carry the rifle so she can hike longer. We just carry one rifle when we go together. You make a good point though as far as the stock height and comfort. I’ll have to check on some stock options and see what she thinks.

The weight of the rifle isn’t an issue for her at all since I always carry the rifle so she can hike longer. We just carry one rifle when we go together.

Just what i need!
A gun bearer!!!
Lol

As far as stock factory new rifles are concerned, the Savage 11 Lady Hunter, and the Weatherby Lady Camilla are about the only stocks oriented towards weman.
Otherwise you can change stocks to one that's adjustable like a Boyds AT- One, GRS, or along those lines.

A Boyds stock will definitely be the least expensive of adjustable stocks. Just make sure to look at their accessories section as the different plastic parts, which do effect fit, come separate.

Last edited:
Just what i need!
A gun bearer!!!
Lol

As far as stock factory new rifles are concerned, the Savage 11 Lady Hunter, and the Weatherby Lady Camilla are about the only stocks oriented towards weman.
Otherwise you can change stocks to one that's adjustable like a Boyds AT- One, GRS, or along those lines.

A Boyds stock will definitely be the least expensive of adjustable stocks. Just make sure to look at their accessories section as the different plastic parts, which do effect fit, come separate.
Haha. It works pretty well for us. I carry it. She shoots something. She carries the gun back and I have a pack full of meat. She’s a good shot and a killer, so I have a full heavy pack about every other day that she joins me.

You need to go to the gun store with her. Let her pick out the one she is most comfortable with and then you learn how to shoot it.

I’ve been double lucky. My wife already knew how to shoot when me met. And, every gun we shoot, we both shoot in the same spot. I’ll get it sighted in, and she’ll get on a rest and fire off rounds basically through the same holes as mine. Then, I have her go as light as possible when we go hunting so she’s comfortable. I don’t mind carrying extra. That, accurate rifles, and some nice heads on the wall and full freezers keeps her quite happy.

I’ve been double lucky. My wife already knew how to shoot when me met. And, every gun we shoot, we both shoot in the same spot. I’ll get it sighted in, and she’ll get on a rest and fire off rounds basically through the same holes as mine. Then, I have her go as light as possible when we go hunting so she’s comfortable. I don’t mind carrying extra. That, accurate rifles, and some nice heads on the wall and full freezers keeps her quite happy.
My daughter can shoot. When I started teaching her there were no bad habits, no preconceived notions of what a "group" was. She just did what I told her. mtmuley

Very similar here! memtb

Back