Backcountry rifle weight?

huntin24/7

Does anyone carry a heavier rifle elk hunting? My current rifle setup is just over 10# all set up and doesn’t bother me at all. I’ve decided which rifle I’m going to get except can’t decide which model. One is 7.5ish# and the other 9.5# rifle only. Im in good hunting shape and have been on 2 mountain goat hunts so have an idea of mountain hunting even though my elk experience is limited to the breaks. I know heavier usually shoots better but obviously the weight adds up. Anyone out there use “heavy” rifles in the mountains?

Mine is about 8.5 pounds scoped with three rounds in it. Heavy by today's "standards". As far as being packable and heavy enough for use at longer ranges I think it is a good balance. If you can pack a rifle around the Breaks, you'll be good in the mountains.mtmuley

My smart azz buddy says, if you're concerned about a couple extra pounds of rifle, maybe you should take those pounds off your gut.
Kinda makes sense.
Haha! I don’t have that problem at all. Fitness is a non issue, but I’m curious about opinions from guys that are in shape but spend more time in the mountains than I do.

All of my big game hunting rifles are in the 9.5-10# weight class. Like huntin24/7, I've carried several of these rifles on 2 mountain goat hunts and about a dozen sheep hunts. I think that it would be more beneficial if I could loose 10-15 pounds than to try to shave a pound or so off my rifle.

For elk hunting I normally use a medium weight rifle and scope that weighs around 8.5 lbs. I have carried very light rifle outfits (app. 6 lbs.) and have had be very careful with my heavy breathing or I shot poorly. I have also use a 10 lb. outfit that felt just a bit heavy for the job.

While i'm not hunting in the higher elevations (located in central PA), for me the lighter the better.
I often make journeys of 4 miles or more with my pack and either a bow or rifle.
The other year i purchased a new bow with lighter draw weight, more speed, and most important half the weight of my old bow.
Most of my rifles are in the 8-9 pound range.
The Mauser i build is 10lbs with scope, sling, and 3 rounds of ammo. I haven't taken it hunting due to it's weight.
I bought a used Forbes 24B in 280 Rem that weighs just under 7lbs scoped.
And it's just as accurate at 600 yards as my heavier rifles.
Being light weight doesn't mean being less accurate.

It's not a question of a rifles accuracy vs weight. Light rifles are harder to shoot. 4 miles? Most guys here that hunt the mountains do that or more one way. mtmuley
Correct. I should’ve phrased that as heavier generally a bit easier to shoot with a resting aim, not more accurate. I was thinking up to about 5 miles max each way.

I never realized how sensitive I am to rifle weight until I got one that was too heavy. Anything north of 8 pounds is pretty annoying to me, but unlike alot of you (probably) I carry my rifle in my hand most often.

My rifle is north of 10lbs... I mostly backpack hunt, I would go 7.5-8.5 if I had the money to burn.

You even contact Manners or McMillan about the stock you were looking for? That would get your weight down a bit, I imagine.

Mine is around 8.5 all in. You wouldn't think another 1.5 would make a difference but it'd be tough to get me to carry a Ruger 1 in the hills again.

Mine is a shade over 7.5. I love it. It's not too light to shoot well, and I'm not a long range shooter anyway.

8lbs to 11lbs with scope, sling and ammo. It depends on the hunt and type of terrain.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back