Back country camping...in a unit I'm not hunting?

brianaernst

So I'm working hard to plan a DIY, OTC back country hunt in Colorado. I've been struggling to find an ideal camp location. The area I'm looking to hunt borders up against a "trophy"/draw unit.

QUESTION: Can I camp in a draw unit then cross the boundary to hunt the OTC units? Along those same lines of questioning, I assume if I shoot an elk in an OTC unit and it crosses into a draw unit, I can still retrieve?

Any advice/help would be much appreciated!

So I'm working hard to plan a DIY, OTC back country hunt in Colorado. I've been struggling to find an ideal camp location. The area I'm looking to hunt borders up against a "trophy"/draw unit.

QUESTION: Can I camp in a draw unit then cross the boundary to hunt the OTC units? Along those same lines of questioning, I assume if I shoot an elk in an OTC unit and it crosses into a draw unit, I can still retrieve?

Any advice/help would be much appreciated!

First question = Absolutely. We've done this plenty of times, but we are generally driving out of 1 unit into another, not walking, so it's just like leaving the house to go hunt. If hiking, I would not have my weapon loaded when traversing the draw unit.

Second Question = Probably, but I would immediately contact the local CPW officer before I did anything. I remember reading somewhere that, legally speaking, if the animal is wounded when it crosses into a different GMU, following it up is considered 'hunting' - without a valid tag. If it is laying there dead, it's 'retrieval' in which case it's probably similar to the private property retrieval statutes. In either case - call the warden.

As a rule - call the warden. Not only will they clear these up for sure, but generally good to talk to those folks.

I would never carry a weapon in the field during the season in a unit for which you are not licensed, without first contacting the came warden as cedahm suggested. In this case, asking permission is a much better option than begging forgiveness.

First question is an emphatic YES. 2nd question is a bit tougher, I remember a guy shot a bison outside of Grand Teton National Park and the animal died inside the park boundary. I believe all of the animal was confiscated even though there was a clear blood trail from the animal. If this does happen the more honest you are with the warden from the beginning the better off you'll be. I would also suggest getting in touch with CPW prior to the season to get a clear run down on the laws.

I would never carry a weapon in the field during the season in a unit for which you are not licensed, without first contacting the came warden as cedahm suggested. In this case, asking permission is a much better option than begging forgiveness.

"No officer, I'm only coyote hunting."

I travel boundary roads & use roads in a different unit all the time.
I even camp on opposite side of road from my hunt unit in different one at times to throw folks off my track.LOL
I am more cautious when I use the state line road hunting & actually avoid doing that at all costs now.
AZ wardens can be as anal as NM wardens when you have out of state plates. Even worse when the only road goes thru both.
As a former LEO I made a point of a call to local LEO & wardens when would go hunting out of state. Ask about stuff just like this or how safe is camp left alone. This usually turned into a list of great advice on where to go have a good time. Yeah I have had them come later & check me out.But it was all good.

Awesome, thanks to all for the advice!! It at least helps me open the possible camp locations up a bit. We are bow hunting (first time for elk, long time bow hunter for whitetail), so I'll just keep my bow on my pack and out of my hands while in the draw unit. I'll also talk to the local CPW officer regarding game retrieval laws.

Thanks again my fellow hunters!

I have a spot (this is montana though) that I elk hunt in, we hike/ride horses for 8 miles through a draw only zone to hunt a few sections of public that are in an OTC unit that is 90% private. Our few sections are sandwiched between the draw unit and a huge ranch. I've had a guide harass me, claiming there's no way I legally accessed it, but I've seen the warden and never had an issue as far as legality.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back