Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

ATV's who's got 'em

This is perhaps my favorite ATV photo I've seen on the net. It is indeed all good:

Attachments

• ATV.jpg
    ATV.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 124
When driving deep into winderness areas that others have to walk a long hot way into I recommend having good body armor.sf-atv.jpeg

:D

Last edited:
Oak,
Everytime I think of ATV abuse those pictures you posted are what I think of. If I remember right his user name was Water Gremlin and the hunting story was almost as impressive as the pictures.

BigFin,
I would comment back about the wear and tear but honestly I've already been banned from two websites in the last two weeks. I can't lose hunttalk. ;)

I got banned on one website for a full metal jacket quote....and not even one with curse words in it :S

BigFin,
I would comment back about the wear and tear but honestly I've already been banned from two websites in the last two weeks. I can't lose hunttalk. ;)

I got banned on one website for a full metal jacket quote....and not even one with curse words in it :S

Fret not. I have yet to ban anyone. I guess you could be a first, but I wouldn't let that slow down a good discussion.

Looking at some of these posts, I see there is a lot of missionary work lies ahead for the groups we are promoting - Tread Lightly! and Respected Access.

Man, I see I better brace myself for all kinds of accolades when I announce our ATV sponsor.
The rifle sponsor (even unnamed) only spawned about a 7 page thread. You should look into a sponsor for the thread that will be born out of the quad announcement. Maybe you should change the name to "On yOur Quad Adventures" :rolleyes:

illegal access by ATVers. That has to be the most frustrating thing ever.
I wish that was the most frustrating part of my life. :eek:

I've given some thought about buying a quad for fetching game, though I've managed so far to only kill things I could carry out in 1 trip by myself :mad: or to get me to legally navigable places to start my hike into the backcountry.

I may still go that route but I've had 2 "quad experiences" (aside from having hundreds of quail coveys busted "for" me by people tearing ass through every spot in AZ). My cousin, who has no sense of direction and only enough sense to buy (but not learn how to use) a GPS "lost" his quad a couple years back on opening day of a cow hunt. I spent the better part of the day helping him find it and then we got weathered out the next day. Hunt over.

The second happened with his brother about 8 years back. I put him in a great spot on opening morning (I took the area a ridge over) and he had his bull by 8am. We used his quad (and a trail) to retrieve his bull. He stayed until Sunday & had to go back so he told me he'd leave it with me. It never made it out of my truck since I'd only use it to retrieve but it did bust out the back window on my Tundra when a strap came loose from the rough road I was trekking.

I figured between these 2 events I could take a hint: Bad karma for me & quads.

While Dink's scenario is "hypothetical", it really does beg the question of what do you do when you encounter such a situation -- illegal access by ATVers. That has to be the most frustrating thing ever. But ethically you try to get information (sticker, etc) and turn them in to F&G. Or is that moot due to insufficient F&G resources to actually do something about the violation? Hell, I vote to instantiate some sort of deputized program...you find guys illegally accessing areas and you get bonus points or even big game tags for turning them in with proof (video camera footage, digital pics, GPS coords, etc) -- now that would be something. :D

Unethically, do any of you guys get pissed enough to thrash some rubber?

I turned in a wheeler that had "cheated" and went in and parked. There was an obvious sign on the newly renovated trail into a wilderness area. After a 1 hour hike and seeing it in there it made me mad. I called the number into the local Forest Service deputy from up on the mountain. I wasn't sure that anything would happen but it made me feel better. I actually got a call from the warden a couple days later and he issued them a $100 fine. I'd rather try that route than doing damage. So justice can prevail. Now I have some dude from Ennis pissed at me. Oh well maybe he will read next time.

I dont own one, but my dad has one, all he uses it for is to push snow..so I borrow it during hunting season..

elk_hunter- IMO, you'd be better served calling that agencies LEO for the area. Not familiar with all areas, but I'm not positive that county/state agencies can or will enforce federal travel designations. I know some have agreements, but not sure they all do.

ATVs are the scourge of hunting, I would like to see them severely restricted.

I see illegal ATV us every hunting season. Several times i have turned them in but it was to a FS enforcement cop who was proATV and would not ticket them. One of these days ill snap and there will be a huge firebomb in the woods.

Back