Caribou Gear

ATV's who's got 'em

Ultrahunter

Just wondering how many of you guys have, and use 4-wheelers on your hunts? I have had one in the past but haven't had any use for them in the last 6-7 years. Just curious how many of you guys are wheeling during the season? I think I have done better since getting rid of mine. Thoughts?

dinkshooter and I got matching ones. I put the big wheeler kit on mine though. To compensate? Sure why not.

All I know is there isn't a sagebrush tall enough to stop my 4 wheeler.

Of course I only own my 4 wheeler to save on wear and tear on my truck.

I only drive it on the road.

I have a medical condition which has limited my hunting to only the use of atvs

Theres roads have always been opened and I'd be damn if the forest service or someone else is going to stop me from driving the roads my family have drove for generations

It is a much more effective way of finding shed antlers. Because of course, isn't that the purpose of shed hunting? To find all of them.

After all its only the 10% that ruin atv's for the rest of us

I have a bad back so ATV's help get my animal out of the field. Nevermind the fact I sit on it all day long. ya know....the back and all.....

The typical atv isn't even cool anymore. If you don't have a side by side RAZOR, Rhino etc in utah then well, gasp, you ain't cool. Period.

I can't match WDH's humor, so I will just have to answer in a much more boring way.

I have one. Does it help my hunting? No.

Does it help me get to some places that I might not be willing to take my truck? Yup. So some might say that helps my hunting.

Now for the part where WDH is gonna laugh at me. ;)

Does it keep me from tearing up my truck? Yup, some times.

Is it easier on the gumbo and wet roads than my truck is? Yup.

Are there many good reasons to have one, if you want one? Yup.

Do 10% of the people mess it up for the rest of us? Nope, I think it is much more than 10% who are knotheads, but that is just my observation.

Will I always have one? Probably will.

I only ever use my ATV for opening up new trails through heavy brush that would take too much time to clear by hand...gotta get huntin ya know.

I have my ATV outfitted with a shed-collector that scoops up horn from the sage slicker than a golf-ball picker.

BRP, the Chuck Norris of sagebusters..and yes Ernesto, it's the camo model.:cool:...sometmes when I climb down from my heated sniper's blind, it takes a few moment to locate it for the 200 yard ride back to my RV.

...take some saltpeter Dink.:hump:

Last edited:
I think with a bit of advance planning, a skidsteer, and a small Cat, you can do enough work that your ATV really won't do that noticable enough damage. And definitely improve the hunting in an area....
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Since mine was given to me, I've been obligated to put it to good use, or at least take it along to look cool.
IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_2697.jpg

Stuck1.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

There's always a 50 inch path somewhere that goes "around" or "under" the gate.

You can even track down bighorn sheep with them..

Attachments

• Sheep Hunting 030.jpg
    Sheep Hunting 030.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 276
Man, I see I better brace myself for all kinds of accolades when I announce our ATV sponsor. Too bad it won't be Timberjack Skidders, Bobcat, Caterpillar, or John Deere. But I do think Jose has some good points there.

The rifle scabbards are ultragay, but definitely worthy when it's mucky out.

I have two of them. Use them every hunting season. Sometimes they seem very helpful for getting game out, but mostly just save wear and tear on the truck. They only get used in area's legal to use them.

I can't match WDH's humor, so I will just have to answer in a much more boring way.

I have one. Does it help my hunting? No.

Does it help me get to some places that I might not be willing to take my truck? Yup. So some might say that helps my hunting.

Now for the part where WDH is gonna laugh at me. ;)

Does it keep me from tearing up my truck? Yup, some times.

Is it easier on the gumbo and wet roads than my truck is? Yup.

Are there many good reasons to have one, if you want one? Yup.

Do 10% of the people mess it up for the rest of us? Nope, I think it is much more than 10% who are knotheads, but that is just my observation.

Will I always have one? Probably will.

I'll second this; I've got a Yamaha Grizz and I prefer to let the quad take the thrashing instead of my truck. :D

I've got 2 of them and 4 horses, mtn. bike, mileage car, and a pickup. I use any and all of the above to help with the hunting. As long as it's legal then I use them (meaning all of the above mentioned modes of transportation).

I've used them a couple times on private land to retrieve game, which was nice. Most the hunting I do though one would be absolutely worthless. Nine times out of ten I could get by driving my fiancee's Focus to where I park.

I do have a motorcycle that I use sometimes, but I am thinking of getting rid of it too, in order to upgrade my backpack gear. I probably will get another wheeler someday though.

I took the liberty of snapping a photo of WDH's quad when I was last at his place drinking his beer and eating his elk sausage (undoubtably the elk was killed in an area accessible only by atv, and not just any atv, but one with a lift kit, mudders, AND a snorkel. Probably without ever having to get off the seat of said machine)

photo2.jpg

*note the lack of cargo racks. He prefers the drag method. 800cc of bombardier power with 4x4. Just tie a line around the rear legs and drag.

Back