ATV users don't really want to weed out the "bad apples"

Oak

Expert
How many times have we heard the mufflerheads on here say that they would be all for stiffer fines???

Stiffer fines suggested for ATV violators
January 9, 2005

St. Paul, Minn. — The coalition includes groups like the Sierra Club, the Audubon Society and the Izaak Walton League. The League of Women Voters also backs the proposed legislation.

Sean Wherley with Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness says the coalition decided to bring the ATV issue back to the Legislature after reviewing state statistics that showed a big increase in off-highway violations. During a recent 12-month period, conservation officers handed out more than 3,100 tickets.

"What's revealing about those figures is that 86 percent of them were committed by adults," says Wherley. "It counters the age-old argument that these are only irresponsible youth who are tearing up our hunting grounds and our fishing streams -- and it's time we rein in those lawbreakers."

Wherley thinks stiffer fines would help. His group proposes raising the fee on a first-offense from $100 to $200. Second and third violations would increase substantially, too. The group also wants to add ATV tickets to a driver's motor vehicle record, a move that would likely affect the driver's insurance rates.

But repeat offenders would feel the most pain in their pocketbooks. Under the proposal, flagrant violators would have their ATVs seized and sold.

Gene Larimore, a member of the Jack Pine Coalition, says the plan may sound harsh, but it's fair.

"Some people just have to be separated from their vehicle," says Larimore. "If you get arrested three times in one day, I think the time has come when the authorities simply have to take the machine away. You can't tolerate that. That is criminal behavior."

Larimore says he's seen the destruction caused by ATVs first-hand. He owns a cabin near the Foothills State Forest in north central Minnesota. The area has been a popular off-road vehicle site.

"The damage was astonishing. Huge ruts made by ATVs, hills absolutely trashed by 4x4 trucks, and just generally an aura of destruction," says Larimore. "The understory of the forest is ... gone. So that's kind of how I got my consciousness raised."

But the All Terrain Vehicle Association of Minnesota, also known as ATVAM, doesn't think environmental groups are being fair at all.

"We understand that there are things that need to be fixed, no doubt about it," says ATVAM's president, Dave Hendricks. "But you gotta fix 'em right and they've gotta be on the right side."

ATVAM opposes the new fines. Hendricks says the problem isn't bad drivers, it's a lack of access to trails. He says even if all ATV drivers obeyed the law, environmentalists would still be opposed to giving them more room to ride.

"Anti-access groups and this conglomerate of nine organizations -- they're going to do whatever they need to do to keep ATVs out of public lands," says Hendricks. "They will stop at nothing and they will say anything to make that a reality for their organizations."

Hendricks says his group does want to rein in ATV violators who are ruining the sport for others. ATVAM will ask lawmakers this session to require mandatory ATV training for all riders born after July 1, 1987. The group is also recommending training for riders who are cited for violations.

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources enforces ATV regulations, and so far, the agency hasn't taken a position on the competing proposals. But the DNR is used to criticism when it comes to this issue. Environmentalists claim the agency isn't doing enough to protect state land, while angry ATV users complain there aren't enough trails.

Assistant Commissioner Brad Moore says even within his agency there are disagreements over how to handle the ATV issue. But he says it's definitely not an option for the DNR to ignore ATV users and other off-highway vehicles.

"The Legislature's made it very clear that this kind of recreation is appropriate on state forest land, and our job is to try to determine where to put those machines in an environmentally sound manner."

The popularity of ATVs has been growing steadily. Figures show that Minnesotans have bought roughly 15,000 new machines each year for the past five years. Currently, there are more than 230,000 registered ATVs in Minnesota.

ATV 'bad apple' bill draws mixed reviews
Cook County News-Herald
Thursday, January 27th, 2005

Julie Bratvold/Legislative correspondent
ST. PAUL — Led by Sen. John Marty, DFL-Roseville, a bipartisan group of legislators held a press conference at the State Capitol Thursday to unveil new legislation geared toward imposing harsher penalties for off-highway vehicle users who damage land.

However, many lawmakers from the Iron Range are not supportive of the legislation, saying better ATV trails for users not harsher penalties is the way to go.

The legislation, which is authored by Marty, includes several measures that would add more regulations on OHV use and enact stricter punishments on those who violate the rules. Marty claims that his bill is designed to help protect the state’s environment and natural resources. “ATV owners and riding clubs have long said they wanted to rein in the few ‘bad apples’ and now they have their chance,” Marty said in a press release. “Responsible ATV riders should support this common sense bill rather than allow our forests and wetlands to be trashed by reckless, lawbreaking riders.”

If passed, the proposed legislation would establish a toll-free hotline for reporting OHV violations, require full-size license plates on the back and front of all ATVs, prohibit snorkels and extreme tires on public lands starting in 2007 and require mufflers on all OHVs. Supporters of the bill also praise the punishment elements, which include more than doubling the maximum fines for violating natural resources laws and requiring that repeat OHV law violators have their vehicle taken away by law enforcement.

One of the co-sponsors of the bill, Sen. Carrie Ruud, R-Breezy Point, said that her district, located in north-central Minnesota is “ground zero for the ATV issue” and is glad to see that it is being addressed through this bill. “Two years ago we had no plan at all,” she said. “Now we have a good bill introduced.”

Ruud claims that the current penalties for law violators are too lenient and supports the additional penalties mentioned in the bill. “[Current penalties] are so inconsequential that it just doesn’t matter,” she said. “More stringent penalties are in order.”

But Sen. Tom Saxhaug, DFL-Grand Rapids, who is vice chair of the Senate Environment and Natural Resources Committee of which Marty is the chair, said he would prefer lawmakers devote their efforts to improving and creating ATV trails rather than impose harsher penalties.

“I think the biggest factor in keeping down damage done to property is better ATV trails,” Saxhaug said. He noted that more and better trails would prevent damage caused by OHV users who have too few areas where they are able to ride their equipment safely and lawfully.(gimme a break:rolleyes: ) “I realize that some people get mad at ATVs,” he said, “but most of these problems are because there isn’t much public land for them to use.”
Another member of the Environment and Natural Resources Committee, Sen. Tom Bakk, DFL-Cook, agreed.

“I’m very disappointed they are rattling their sabers about raising penalties when what the Legislature needs to do is create funds for trails for people to use them,” he said.

Rep. Tom Rukavina, DFL-Virginia, said he is against the bill because it limits the power judges have to enforce the punishment that they feel best fits the crime. “I’ve always opposed these heavy-handed measures where good people end up as criminals for minor violations,” he said.

“To put in law what the fine has to be, it takes justice away from the judges.”

Rep. David Dill, DFL-Crane Lake, the vice chair of the House Agriculture, Environment and Natural Resources Finance Committee, declined to comment on the proposed legislation. However, Dill did say that he is rarely in agreement with Marty when it comes to legislation involving OHV regulation and use.

The bill is expected to be passed down to the Environment and Natural Resources committees for further discussion.

Bakk expects that the bill will be met with a fight in committee, and said it was up in the air whether or not it will survive past committee hearings. “I think it might be really hard for Senator Marty to get [the bill] out of his own committee that he is the chair of,” Bakk said.

“It’s going to be a real close vote. It could go either way.”

That's like saying that hunters don't want to weed out the bad apples (poachers)..... :rolleyes: Do you say that poachers are hunters, or are poachers poachers, and hunters hunters???? Was the increase in citatrions from equal field work, or did it result from an emphasis year????? Is the media being unbiased, or did a reporter find a new twist???

Ten beers, who gives a rip if its increased emphasis on an illegal activity...they're illegal. What part of that dont you understand?

You're the typical ATVer...defend even the ones clearly in violation of the law. 3100 atvers broke the law, 3100 citations were issued...the laws are being enforced. Thats what needs to happen...combined with a law that bites a little harder. I'd say 3100 citations is pretty much an epidemic problem and most arent getting the hint. The poor atvers are a victim because there was an increase in enforcement of a HUGE problem? Do you realize how dumb that sounds?

It doesnt sound to me like the Minnesota ATV group is interested in making things tougher on ATV law-breaking...something you've said many times you would be in favor of "if it was enforced". The group is trying to come up with excuses for their law-breaking ways...great group huh?

Now its being enforced and you dont like it because they're being biased and picking on law-breakers? WTF dude, you dont make any sense.

My point, which obviously you can't grasp is, the article is written to imply that ATV crime is on the rise exponetially. If the increased citations came from increased inforcement, I applaud it, but represent it as such.

I draw a distinction between ATV riders and law breaking ATV activities (typically poachers in a sense - taking forest resources illegally). To say that all ATV riders are bad is to say that all hunters are poachers (they both kill animals) or all bank customers are bank robbers (they both enter banks)........

I have heard here from many ATVophobics that they don't have time to report illegal riders, I doubt many would report poachers eithers. If the shoe fits......

The point to my original post, which you obviously can't grasp, is that although ATV users claim to support higher fines for mis-use, they start backpeddling when they get the chance. Do you support higher fines? Do you agree that the president of the ATV club in the first story is against higher fines? Do you agree with his position?

It's a pretty simple concept. I can't imagine why responsible ATV users wouldn't support higher fines for the 'bad apples'.

Oak

Ten beers,

The problem is increasing...how many people on this board have seen ATV abuse that spend more than 2 days a year in the field? 80-90%+?

If it wasnt a problem, why is every agency closing more and more lands to ATV use? Why are people asking for tougher regulations? Why is Idaho out-lawing the use of them in more and more hunting districts each year?

If all the ATVers were sticking to the roads, we wouldnt be hearing about all this crap...would we?

If atvers in Minnesota were not breaking the law...there wouldnt have been 3100 tickets written.

If they ride into wilderness areas fine them $500 first offense and take the bike away on the second. Put 100% of the proceeds into developing new trail areas for atv users. I own one and ride it at times but I don't break the law and have little tolerance for those that do. The problem is that it's the Hatfields and McCoys. I don't support the enviro groups but still see the abuse as a problem. Ther needs to be more people who see that both groups need to be accomodated.

"put 100% of the proceeds into developing new trail areas for atv users"?????

I would suggest putting the money into something worthwhile like bonus money to the law enforcement officers who nab the most fat ass ATV slobs...

Something needs to be done in a lot of areas. It is just too tempting for ATV usuers to leave trails, and use them in areas that they are not allowed. I think stiffer fines, bigger ID tags are a great start. I know if I had been able to read the numbers on a few quads i would have called in some violaters.

Any single person or any group can initiate the process to pass a piece of legislation in a state legislature. I've done it at least three dozen times in Idaho. Every time I hear some fatassed ATV slob talk about how the ATV outlaws should be penalized I ask them why they don't get the Blue Ribbon Coalition or some other ATV group to lobby the legislature for tougher penalties for ATV outlaws. That's when they all shut up. Call the bluff on any ATV group by asking them to do some lobbying for tougher penalties and you'll find out they're all talk and no action. Of course they're not really in favor of tougher penalties because they all know people who break the law constantly. They probably break it themselves.

We found out in our discussion of ATV laws in Arizona that even the Arizona SI posters were completely ignorant of the ATV laws in Arizona. I believe ATV riders would rather not know the law so they can try to plead ignorance when they're caught. That's the most common mentality I see.

If the Blue Ribbon Coalition really wanted to help clean up the ATV act they'd be over in the Idaho State Legislature right now lobying for a bill to toughen up on fat assed slobs. I've never heard of Clark Collins or any other big shot in the BRC showing up at the Legislature.

BTW, whatever happened to that BRC Director that was caught illegally outfitting for ATV riders? No wonder those ATV industry whores don't want tougher laws! :D

A couple years ago I even offered to introduce Ten Bears to the people right at the top of the Idaho F&G and the Idaho Citizen's Against Poaching organization so he could get help in organizing some efforts to toughen ATV laws (which he claimed he was in favor of). Naturally, when I called his bluff good 'ol Ten backed down real fast. The offer is still open, too, not only for Ten but for anyone who wants to start an effort to toughen up on fatassed ATV slobs in Idaho. I'll make it real easy for them to get started.

Your full of bullshit Ithaca...[we found out AZ atv`s users don`t know the laws] we kicked your ass and straightened you out...But you won`t admit it...While i would agree with everyone here for more enforcment and tougher penalties.. i just can`t let you get away with such outright B.S. hump :D

This is the problem with fringe bungholes who want to wipe out all ATV use and will not compromise. Why not open your small minds and figure out that putting a carrot for the other side in the form of new riding areas just might help to control the abusers. As for your Arizona comment IT you can just go whine to someone that might believe you know of what you speak. You and your buddies were dead wrong on taking ATVs off trail to retrieve big game and I just confirmed that in one of the hunters ed courses. It is legal on all state lands and most of the NF areas but no atv use in designated wilderness. As for your bragging about personally initiating three dozen pieces of legislation that pretty well says you ain't too normal.

Ringer,

I shouldnt have to dangle a carrot for the abusers so they'll stop their illegal activities...do you realize how absolutely stupid that sounds? Lets dangle bags full of hundreds in front of bank robbers so they quit abusing/robbing banks??? How about we just stop atvers and bank robbers from breaking the freaking law...theres a novel idea.

I dont have the time to compromise...compromise is exactly why we're now having to legislate ATV's out of some country.

The only compromise involved with ATV's is them compromising MY public lands with all the damage they cause.

I'm done compromising...time for someone else to compromise.

Compromise 4 times and you're left with 6 1/4% of what you started with...

Heres my final, and only compromise on ATV's: keep them on the 380,000 miles of roads already designed for motorized access on National Forest land.

ringer, "As for your bragging about personally initiating three dozen pieces of legislation that pretty well says you ain't too normal." If putting my money where my mouth is makes me abnormal in your opinion that's fine with me. The fact is, I know how to get things done when I want to. There's also a few others here in SI who aren't afraid to take part in the political process. I'd say 99 out of 100 hunters have never even been to a Legislative session, let alone participate in one. It's real easy to tell who the talkers are here in SI and who actually do something to try to protect our recreational opportunities.

BTW, the first successful bill I initiated was one allowing the Idaho Dept. of F&G to make a bighorn sheep tag available for auction. We've raised well over a million dollars since 1986 with that one and it's all gone into bighorn sheep programs.

Remember what Ali said? "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." :D

They dangle carrots for slob hunters by putting up roadside targets for them to shoot at... ;)

Is developing new trails and riding areas really a workable solution? Sure it can concentrate the use to an area and thus the disturbance. But, it can also invite pioneering into areas that were not impacted before the new trails were built. The area around Richfield, UT has a very extensive trail system for ATVs. This was done in hopes of concentrating the use to these trails to head off widespread overuse. The problem they are starting to see is that the trails get 'boring' to some of the riders. Now, the legal trail is used as a way to get into areas that were not legal to get into with an ATV and new trails are popping up. IMO, until the industry and ATV users domore to police themselves this activity will continue. What choices are left??

Ten,

This weekend I went up into the nearby hills for a hike, and there were a number of orange flexable fiberglass signs set up to close illegal orv use. Every single one was run over and torn to shit. Fresh ripped up ground all over the place. If you don't do something soon about the behavior of YOUR user group, orv's will be banned completely from the National Forests. Even people with patience are starting to lose it. Quit making excuses, and start cleaning up the bad apples. 2nd offense should result in confiscation of orv IMO.

Well Ithaca i for one think its great that you get involved in legislative process,i wish more people would.

Buzz i have to agree with you to a point [no compromise] but unfortunately it doesn`t always work that way in the "politics" of today..i wish it were not the case... but sad as it is and i hate it just as much as you [compromise] is the only way most of these political pricks know how do get anything done.

But repeat offenders would feel the most pain in their pocketbooks. Under the proposal, flagrant violators would have their ATVs seized and sold.
Do we do that with any other motor vehicle or boat?????

But the All Terrain Vehicle Association of Minnesota, also known as ATVAM, doesn't think environmental groups are being fair at all.
It maybe a matter of semantics, however, if you took the BUT out of the start of the sentence, the sentence is less volitile.

"We understand that there are things that need to be fixed, no doubt about it," says ATVAM's president, Dave Hendricks. "But you gotta fix 'em right and they've gotta be on the right side."

ATVAM opposes the new fines. Hendricks says the problem isn't bad drivers, it's a lack of access to trails. He says even if all ATV drivers obeyed the law, environmentalists would still be opposed to giving them more room to ride.
How many times have we heard that espoused by the ATVophobics right here?
"Anti-access groups and this conglomerate of nine organizations -- they're going to do whatever they need to do to keep ATVs out of public lands," says Hendricks. "They will stop at nothing and they will say anything to make that a reality for their organizations."
Must have BUZZ/EG/IT sending them letters of encouragement.

Hendricks says his group does want to rein in ATV violators who are ruining the sport for others.
ATVAM will ask lawmakers this session to require mandatory ATV training for all riders born after July 1, 1987. The group is also recommending training for riders who are cited for violations.

"The Legislature's made it very clear that this kind of recreation is appropriate on state forest land, and our job is to try to determine where to put those machines in an environmentally sound manner."

The popularity of ATVs has been growing steadily. Figures show that Minnesotans have bought roughly 15,000 new machines each year for the past five years. Currently, there are more than 230,000 registered ATVs in Minnesota.

The legislation, which is authored by Marty, includes several measures that would add more regulations on OHV use and enact stricter punishments on those who violate the rules. Marty claims that his bill is designed to help protect the state’s environment and natural resources. “ATV owners and riding clubs have long said they wanted to rein in the few ‘bad apples’ and now they have their chance,” Marty said in a press release. “Responsible ATV riders should support this common sense bill rather than allow our forests and wetlands to be trashed by reckless, lawbreaking riders.”

If passed, the proposed legislation would establish a toll-free hotline for reporting OHV violations, require full-size license plates on the back and front of all ATVs, prohibit snorkels and extreme tires on public lands starting in 2007 and require mufflers on all OHVs. Supporters of the bill also praise the punishment elements, which include more than doubling the maximum fines for violating natural resources laws and requiring that repeat OHV law violators have their vehicle taken away by law enforcement.
Sounds kinda like some of the very things that many ATV riders have called for here at SI.

But Sen. Tom Saxhaug, DFL-Grand Rapids, who is vice chair of the Senate Environment and Natural Resources Committee of which Marty is the chair, said he would prefer lawmakers devote their efforts to improving and creating ATV trails rather than impose harsher penalties.

“I think the biggest factor in keeping down damage done to property is better ATV trails,” Saxhaug said. He noted that more and better trails would prevent damage caused by OHV users who have too few areas where they are able to ride their equipment safely and lawfully. “I realize that some people get mad at ATVs,” he said, “but most of these problems are because there isn’t much public land for them to use.”
Another member of the Environment and Natural Resources Committee, Sen. Tom Bakk, DFL-Cook, agreed.

Good Point. More areas clearly designated for use, equalled by clearly designated not for use.
“I’m very disappointed they are rattling their sabers about raising penalties when what the Legislature needs to do is create funds for trails for people to use them,” he said.
That's what you charge a sticker fee for, or how about directing the money from bigger fines into the trail improvement and maintenance account..... Make those that violate pick up the tab.

Those that violate the law using a motorvehicle should have that on their driving record. If they are drunk on an ATV or boat it should be a motor vehicle offense.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back