MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Arizona otc Archery

Jason Balazs

So I am looking into going to Arizona in January to hunt Muleys OTC Archery. I live in SAN Diego and was thinking about area 16a to hunt. Anyone have any info for the state? It's been 20 years since I shot a muley, and I'm getting the itch.

I hunted 16A in October 2015. This was my first western hunt and I had absolutely no info to go off of. I didn't see a single deer. I am sure my lack of experience was the cause but I wont be putting in for 16A again.

This should give you a starting point:

The Hualapai Mountains and surrounding areas contain the highest density of mule deer in the unit and therefore generally see the greatest hunting pressure. Some areas to consider include the foothills and ridges on the north and east side. Access roads include Old Highway 93 and Blake Ranch Road. In the higher elevations the BLM has conducted controlled burns in a few of the basins in the last couple of years. These areas offer greater visibility than unburned areas and palatable new growth that attracts deer. The west side of the Hualapai Mountains is drier than the east side and consequently deer densities are lower. Look in the major canyons from Walnut Canyon south. Because this area is drier, hunters should key on water sources. On the south end, deer can be found from Cane Springs Wash all of the way south of Chicken Springs Road.

McCracken Mountains: This small range located west of Alamo Road holds a fair number of deer. Some older age class bucks have been surveyed throughout the range.

Poachie Mountains: This range in the southeast portion of 16A includes the Arrastra Mountain Wilderness Area and is composed of open grassy areas, prickly-pear flats, and large canyons. There are many springs in the vicinity that often attracts deer. Access is via People’s Canyon Road or any of the smaller roads that lead west of Highway 93 between Santa Maria River and 17-Mile Road.

Artillery Mountains: Running along the west side of the Big Sandy River from Signal Road to Alamo Lake, the Artillery Mountains are home to a low-density deer herd. Because of the arid nature of this range hunters should scout. Water sources are good place to start when looking for deer. Access is primarily via Brown’s Crossing Road off Alamo Road.

Southwest: The Mohave Mountains and Mohave Wash area can be accessed from Standard Wash on the west side or Planet Ranch Road on the east. A few herds of deer are scattered throughout the area and often forage and bed in the larger washes. Again, this is a very arid area so it is critical to find water sources if the hunter is to be successful.

Back