Arizona desert sheep tag!!!

Yur killin me, smalls.

I hope the freeway ram bites the dust.

I've been away for a while work and family have kept my busy, so glad to see you enjoyed this hunt but having read through all that was back logged I'm dying!

Got back to camp just at dark. The quietness of the night with no one else there hit me --- tomorrow would be my last day of my hunt. Had some Chunky Man soup before hitting the sleeping bag. I lay there looking at the top of my tent --- my brain was scrambled rehashing the many events of the past several weeks. I don't remember falling asleep ...

Tuesday, Dec. 31. This was it. I was supposed to meet Mike (one of the Yuma Boys) at 6:30 --- we were going to go back and glass near where I was camped originally (nobody had been back there in days). I had to go through a Border Patrol check station on the highway on my to the other side of the mountain --- the guys manning it wished me good luck!

I pulled up next to Mike's Rubicon, Mike said a prayer and we were off. 1/2 an hour we were setting up our tripods and starting to glass. As I turned to glass another part of the mountain, I was greeted by one last sunrise ...

tom's sheep hunt - last day sunrise.jpg

Then it was back to glassing ...

Tom's sheep hunt - last day 1.JPG

8:30 came and we decided to move back around the side of the mountain --- my phone suddenly picked up an incoming text: "We have rams all over the place. Get over here!"

We had big smiles on our faces as Mike put the pedal the the metal. A little over 1/2 an hour later we pulled up to a small group of optics pointed to the mountain. Rams weren't exactly "all" over its face, but there were 3 broomed rams up feeding! I was talked in to the largest, easily a 160-class ram. Game on.

Not much question as to who was making the stalk with me --- David had helped out on many other sheep kills before (in fact, he'd killed a beautiful ram the year before in the unit just south of mine). He had springs for legs and lungs I'd die for. Jake would tag along (he lived on the unit boundary and knew it better than anyone). The rams continued to move across the face from left to right, edging upwards as they fed.

It was 1.5 miles across the desert floor to the base of the mountain. David moved slowly as we progressed, his head pointed towards the ground to hide his face. We made it across, then reassessed things. The rams were approaching a saddle that seemed to lead to a hidden cut. We headed up, trying to be as quiet as possible (the rocky terrain amplified every misstep).

The view down to where we glassed from, a mile beyond the foothills to the right ...

Tom's sheep hunt - last day A.jpeg

We worked our way across the lower mountain, then up a finger on the far ridge, glassing as we went ...

Tom's sheep hunt - last day ridge.JPG

The rams had moved through the saddle, out of sight. Same ol' same ol'. We dropped off that ridge and across to the one to the south, hoping we might spot sheep from a different angle. Our eyeballs strained as we stared up into the shadows ...

Tom's sheep hunt - last day D.jpeg

Nothing showed itself up there either. Without saying anything, David nodded towards a saddle up above us --- it'd be the last spot from where we might spot the rams. It was now almost 3:30. I whispered that it'd be our last push --- we'd run out of ground and time.

20 minutes later we threw our packs off just below the saddle. The little cut we'd moved up was a lot of loose rock, so David inched his way the last few yards to the saddle by himself. I continued to glass in all directions from where I sat. The finality of everything was enveloping me.

David worked his way back down to me. It was now 4:15. We looked at each other --- I shrugged my shoulders and said: "That's it, I'm calling it. We need to get off the mountain now --- it wouldn't be safe getting down from here by headlamp."

View to the south --- Sheep Mountain where my hunt had started ...

Tom's sheep hunt - last day view to foothills.JPG

As we approached the desert floor, we got a message that Kent was working his way towards us in his truck. Good to hear --- I hadn't been looking forward to that last trek back to the vehicle. We'd been in the truck for only about 5 minutes when Kent's truck radio barked: "Where are you guys? We've got sheep spotted above us!"

Kent hit the accelerator and the wheels spun. We dropped David off at his truck and made our way north. Another Mike was sitting in the approaching twilight --- he had 6 ewes spotted, plus the Freeway Ram! Kent followed some twisting 2-tracks to where we thought we might spot the sheep. The ewes were by themselves. The ram was off to the side, by himself, as spooky as ever. As soon as he sensed our arrival, he headed for the horizon at warp speed. Game over. Really.

Somewhere out there, several nice rams are waiting for next year ...

Tom's sheep hunt - last day freeway ram.JPG

It certainly sounds like you gave this hunt everything you possibly could - and then some. I was really hoping it was going to end in a grip-n-grin photo. Thanks for sharing all the pics.

Uhg, what a heartbreaker!!!

Thanks for sharing the adventure with us, I wish it had a happier ending.

Heartbreaking for sure. I can't even imagine living it (though I felt like I did a little). I have to tell you that I enjoyed reading the tale of this hunt more than any other hunting story I have ever read. Thanks for sharing the epic adventure/quest with us. Well done!

Ken, thanks for 'dragging' all of us along on your hunt! I certainly hoped that Jack O'Conner was going to help out on that last go at the 'Freeway Ram' and we would see a picture of the two of you posed on a mountainside where he had fallen. Hats off man as you guys gave it your all!

What a ride and I can only imagine what you went through physically but more so emotionally!

Thanks for taking us along on the ride.

Sheep or no, you did good.

Epic!!!!! Staying the course is an accomplishment in itself. Sounds like you made a lot of new friends as well. Thanks for sharing the story and the country.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back