Archery Pronghorn

Rooster52

You archery pronghorn hunters,do you like spot and stalk or hunt from a blind ?Do you ever use a decoy ?

I have the patience and attention span of a 3 year old on crack, so I avoid blinds at all cost...lol All of my archery antelope have been spot and stalk without decoys. My fat ass can be pretty stealthy when I need to be :D

The bad part of blind hunting is being in an area with minimal phone service and your phone going dead from playing games to pass the time.

Looking forward to the challenge. Have rifle hunted antelope several times ,but this year going to try it with my bow.I have spot and stalked whitetail,but that is in Michigan cornfields. This will be different for sure.I have a pop up blind if needed.

Last edited:
Blind hunting is a lot like tree stand hunting, you are limited to one area but it can be productive it just means you have to be really patient and put in a lot of time in one spot.

Spot and stock lets you be more mobile and let's you cover a lot of ground. I like spot and stock using a decoy and being a little more agrssive. I've seen goats come to a decoy on the run from six hundred yards.

No Bowtech or Mathews for me, 1970's Bear Kodiak Hunter recurve. 52 pounds,shooting 2018 29 inch Gamegetters, 100 grain thunderheads.

They were the Cadilac of the recurve in there day. Still shoots like new.
I also have a Darton 45# magnum recurve bought it new in 1968. Could not tell you how many whitetail met there end with that bow. Started out shooting Cedar shaft arrows with the big ol Bear 145 grain Razor head that took the bleeder blade insert. Now there worth more to a collector than used for hunting.

I have a cow decoy that attaches to my bow.I like to sit by fence crossings and wait with decoy attached.If they choose a different fence crossing I walk to them and try to get in range quick enough while looking somewhat normal.I had a blind that lasted a couple hours in an Wy storm 1st day I had it.Have no idea where it may be right now,butI'm sure it blew out of the state of Wy that day.I went back to hotel to wait out storm and when I came back there was no sign for miles of my blind
I've also had good luck getting close with just burlap put on the fence and sitting behind it waiting for them to cross fences,but the cow decoy works way better.Never had one bit of luck spot and stalk with my bow.Rifle yes but getting bow close is very tough and frustrating.I hunt very flat country in Wy so that doesn't help with spot/stalk.I have a tough time resembling a blade of grass but no problem looking like a cow,lol
I love antelope hunting but haven't been for about 4 years now.Its a great way to kick off the season since it starts in August.I'll be taking my sons one of these years.Good luck on your hunt.Your going to have a lot of fun

I am left eye dominate but shoot a bow right handed. Tried compound bows ,sights and all but went back to recurve and shooting instinctive. done quit well with them.Just got to put the time into practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back