Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Archery mule deer

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Is this possible, or is it merely an episode in frustration?

I see a few guys who are able to pull off the archery mule deer gig, but it seems pretty damn difficult.

The reason I ask is that I am applying for two, and maybe a third, archery mule deer hunts this year. Are these hunts the sport of guys who can make 60+ yard shots, or is there a chance for those of us "40 yard max" guys to actually shoot one?

Add the fact that I will probably have two videographers behind me, I am thinking I better find ambush locations, rather than spot and stalk options. Should make for funny video, if nothing else.

Curious how many of you have tried it, and how many have been successful.

Also applying for two archery antelope hunts, but I have done that enough to know how difficult that is. Going to try those as spot and stalk, but the fall back will be waterholes (as boring and hot as that can be).

Interested in any thoughts or experience you guys have.

I shot a doe with a bow 22 years ago. That's the extent of my personal experience. ;)

I don't think archery hunting for muleys is particularly difficult (based on my time spent in the field during September), as long as you're not setting a goal of killing a huge buck. Getting close to them isn't that difficult if you are careful and patient. I'm going to give it a try this year.

Hopefully the guys with more experience will speak up.

I've never killed a buck with a bow, however, I have killed four bucks and a bear with my rifle within bow range, does that count? :D

I remember anxiously anticipating one of these beasts to fall due to an arrow. http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32145

Wow, I fogot about that. That was the first video thread I ever tried to upload. Really bad stuff.

Here is a clip my son edited for me. He is way better at the editing than I ever was, or ever will be. I need to figure out how to get rid of his music, since I don't have license to it.

It was the blind I put up over a waterhole. First morning, this is what happened. If I can't even shoot one at a waterhole, I am not sure who I am

The big guy came to drink at that corner of the tank - 22 yards. When I drew my bow back, my elbow smacked the hub of the blind. As you can see, he heard me.

I was sure he would slowly turn and give me a broad side shot. Well, everything I did that day was wrong. Probably didn't deserve one that nice, that early in the season.

Moral of the story - Don't put the camera and tripod in your shooting lane. Put it off to the side and keep the shooting lane open.

Oh well. It was fun to continue chasing him all September.

Randy, I'm in the same boat. I have not had much success with archery muleys. It's been difficult to get close to them in both Nevada and Colorado. I've got a tremendous amount of respect for anyone who takes animals with bows, regardless of the animal's size/gender.

Matthew did an excellent job editing that one. You had a great setup there on that water hole. Next time .... ;)

Don't envy you trying to whack one with videographers in tow. Not that hard if you're solo and know how to be sneaky- my buddy and I go after mulies every year and usually get something. My average shots are 30 yards., though my buddy whacked this little 3X3 at about 7 yards-

Good luck!

daledeerrejoined-Copy.jpg

IM000588.jpg

Randy,

Is it frustrating? Yes! Can it be done with a max range of 40 yards? Yes!

I think taking a mule deer with a bow is one of the biggest and most rewarding hunting challenges there are. If your max range is 40 yards you may have to make a few more stalks to be successful though, especially with a camera crew behind you! That's all right, you seem to thrive on challenges! If a person is comfortable shooting at longer distances, you will obviously have more opportunities though.

I was scouting and shed hunting in the Badlands with "Grizzly" from Hunttalk this weekend. We learned lots of new information about our hunting areas, found 12 sheds and two deadheads. The biggest would have scored around 165-170. Like everyone else, I can't wait for fall to get here!

Also, the new Kifaru 6-man tepee and medium stove worked wonderfully. I couldn't ask for it to perform better. It's great equipment!

Attachments

• IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    453 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    306.8 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    452.4 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0115.JPG
    IMG_0115.JPG
    433.9 KB · Views: 543
The last three years I have lucked into 3 nice muleys by spot and stalk, spot and stalk/ambush, and sitting a known funnel. All three situations I could have had a camera man without a problem! The problem is getting a camera man to follow you for days on end until the right opportunity presents itself! If you are looking for small to medium size bucks you should be able to do it within a weeks time. 180" + bucks you would need more time/luck, but I am probably just typing everything you already know. You seam to do pretty damn well year in year out.

Are these hunts the sport of guys who can make 60+ yard shots, or is there a chance for those of us "40 yard max" guys to actually shoot one?

There sure is a chance Big Fin. I can't count how many I've taken at that yardage or less in open sage country or high above timberline in the open. It's all about patience and getting close, IMO.

I think you'll have a blast chasing mule deer with a bow......especially chasing the big ones. A true test of wits IMO.

Now while being video taped is another beast. I had my first video taped bowhunt last year on the AZ Strip......it worked out fine, but it was tricky trying to capture the stalk, shot and recovery without any re-enactment. I'm a hunter not an actor, so I was sort of a dull TV personality. :D

Stalking up a bedded critter with 3 folks will be pretty darn tough, IMO. Sitting water or trails may be a better option. Either way, I know you're savy enough to get it done with a bow. Good luck and can't wait for the movie! :p

If possible, keep one camera at a distance (inside 100 yards) and one over your shoulder. That'll keep noise to a minimum and it'll hopefully give you two different angles on the shot. Just be patient, it's possible. I've had more luck during the rut too. "ElkWhisper" has a magic call you might want to ask him about. It's great for calling (muley) does in. I want to try him out with his call during the rut. I think it'd work great!!

I would definitely shoot for the spot and stalk hunts first. Way more entertaining to watch. Watching a guy sit over a water hole is about like watching someone in a treestand. It's been done to death. Watching someone in a treestand or over bait or sitting by a waterhole is about like golf. It can be fun to do, but I would rather sit and watch paint dry for entertainment value. That said.......a little humor and a good host can take an episode like that and make it their own. All depends how it's put together I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back