1st time jackrabbit

Bullshot

I was a jackrabbit virgin until today. I went out for a last hour small game hunt without real expectations of finding anything but hoping for a sage grouse. Nothing at all moved until just before I had gotten back to my truck, when a jackrabbit erupted. I badly missed my first shot, flubbed pumping in the next round and then missed my second shot. Rabbit gone.

Reinvigorated, I trampled around the area for another 20 minutes and scored on my second chance rabbit. 1st time hunting them in my life. Feeling happy. Now… is it edible?

Short answer…yes! Deliciously so. I simply cooked in a pot with a little water and vegetable oil, a chopped onion, salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of fajita seasoning. After 2 and a half hours of simmering, it falls off the bone and I shredded it in with the soup. Was very good, better than some other game meats that I’ve had. Thank goodness too, cause the rabbit itself did NOT smell so good while I was cleaning it, LOL.

4B44BAB0-8DDE-4751-8239-2417D77EF804.jpeg34DA5D62-C99A-4781-A8B1-2CA924DD66FA.jpegE742E9FC-734A-479B-919B-2D1F79463665.jpeg

The only white-tailed jack I've had was the strongest rabbit I've ever had. Don't know what was up with that. It was absolutely covered in fleas. Most of the Blacktails I've eaten have been fine.

So about cleaning rabbits..
I use Gerber game shears. I pull the skin off shirt and pants style. Then clip the neck, clip down both sides of the rib cage down past the tenderloins, then clip the pelvis. Never have to touch the guts. From there I clip the forelegs off. If I'm slow cooking the I'll clip the spine in half. If I'm making buffalo rabbit I'll pull each leg and then split the spine. If I remember, I'll take photos when I'm processing the next bun'.

...cause the rabbit itself did NOT smell so good while I was cleaning it...
Thanks for the post. I got two squirrels this past weekend (first time squirrel hunting), and thought they smelled strange as I was "attempting" to skin them. Long story short, skinned the first one okay but the second one exploded as I was pulling his shirt off. Left number two for the coyotes. I haven't cooked number one yet.

We have swamp rabbits in Louisiana, good eating. But we do not kill any until we have had a couple of frost on the ground. The heat here makes them have worms and fleas and the cold kills the parasites. Congrats on the kill.

Attachments

• 20220206_103910.jpg
    20220206_103910.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back