Caribou Gear Tarp

Anyone else bowhunting the breaks next month?

huntin24/7

We're heading over to hunt the breaks on Sept 10th for a week on the north side of the river. It's been 5 years since I bowhunted elk there. The last time I went, we packed out a cow in 100 degree heat. I've been pouring over Google earth and the refuge maps looking for new spots to check out. After talking to biologists and the refuge, it sounds like the hunting isn't as good as it used to be, but I'm still pumped for it and ready to hunt hard. Anyone else going?

My son will be in NW Colorado for opening week and I will be in Southern Wyoming the last week of September.
Never been in the breaks.

good luck! i was up there two year ago and was in elk every day. went somewhere different last year, but will be back up this year with my dad. probably be up there around 9/20...

Good luck to you too. I'm sure it will be crowded as poke em mentioned, but I've never run into many people once I get a mile from the road even when there were more tags issued.

I'll be here, and finally have drawn so I can hunt where I live. Youngest son and I plan on hitting them right at opening. I normally don't like hunting until cold weather but am going to give it my best this season even in the heat. Had a big fire over by the Fergus/ Petroleum county line this week end. (Trophy Ridge) area. Saw lots of elk around home last week even though the temp got up to 112 a couple of days.

I'll be here, and finally have drawn so I can hunt where I live. Youngest son and I plan on hitting them right at opening. I normally don't like hunting until cold weather but am going to give it my best this season even in the heat. Had a big fire over by the Fergus/ Petroleum county line this week end. (Trophy Ridge) area. Saw lots of elk around home last week even though the temp got up to 112 a couple of days.

Where is the Trophy Ridge area? How many acres got burned?

At least 4000 acres burned. Area of Fergus/ Petroleum line, south of 79 trail. I hear it is very near Flying Arrow and the Dunn ridge west end. I will be heading over there in a few minutes and will post my findings and a few photos about sundown today. Best I can do for now.

twodot did you make it up near where the fire burned? I looked on inciweb and could find any info there.

I'll be hunting the north side this year. Heading up tomorrow morning to do a little scouting and maybe chase a speedgoat or two with my bow.

gregt and teamhoyt, the "Trophy Ridge" fire as some locals were calling it.
Was mainly between Dovetail and Valentine roads ranging north right up to the subdivision along 79 Trail rd. at the Fergus/ Petroleum co line. You can see the burnt area from the west end of Dun Ridge by looking west. If you know where the Flying Arrow is it was just west of there also. Best of my understanding it is out or very well controlled now. This afternoon we have had a new fire start up somewhere south of Crooked Creek road about on the fenceline between the CMR and BLM. Looks from here to be in the Alkali drainage. We will be going to check it out in a few minutes. Hope that helps, gotta go, twodot.

OK just came in. This latest fire started right along Crooked Creek road. It is not , thankfully in Alkali.
As the sun went down we could see a pretty good plume going up, but with is being so close to a road, hopefully it will be easier to handle.

Will also be heading out in a few weeks! I have been keeping track of the weather and looks fairly dry, anyone been down to the river and have a mosquito report??

Compared to last season, there are no mosquitos. Was out in the willows along river last night and only noticed one or two the whole time. Out again this morning, same thing. Hope it doesn't rain even once between now and opener. Elk are very mobile right now and everything is wearing hard antler. Let her happen!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back