Anyone done any hunting in Okalahoma?

Beavertrapper

Hey everybody just wondering if anyone has done any hunting/fishing down in Oklahoma? I have a cousin going to school at Oklahoma State and I promised him I would make the drive and visit him sometime and I thought I would plain a hunting trip while I'm down there I got three years left to plan and head down there. Just looking for some advice or tips on what game is available in and what the public lands access looks like down there. I've never planed an out of state hunt before so any pointers would be great. I've downloaded the state game regs and I've been looking them over I'm just so new to the out of state hunting I'm not sure really were to begin.

I have deer and turkey hunted it, never on public land though. Have a buddy down there that had some private we hunted on. Shot a doe during muzzy season and have taken a turkey. Hunting is a lot different then up here in the midwest and deer are smaller, body wise. He has hunted public and it is really tough. There are some good properties I have heard that have archery only. If weather is cool the muzzy season can be good as its towards end of Oct. Last time I was down it was 36 before sunrise and 70 at sun set almost every day. Might be able to find some hogs to shoot while down there.

I grew up an hour and a half from Stillwater, plenty of good hunting on public near Kaw Lake. Pigs and dove are going to be your best bets to hunt on private, otherwise you'll be looking at paying for a lease. Fishing? Man, I could go on for days. Lots and lots of great fishing, from setting trot lines, jug lines to snagging spoonbill to noodling. Plenty of options. But if you want to stick around Stillwater area, Sooner & Kaw Lakes are phenomenal fisheries. If you want some specifics, just let me know I'd be happy to help.

As said above great fishing can be found easily sooner is a great lake. Bass, crappie, catfish, sand bass, striper, and many other species can be found in the numerous lakes, ponds, rivers, and creeks through out the state. I'd recommend spoonbill fishing you'll have to go a couple hours North and east of stillwater to get to the rivers they live in but a fun and unique experience. As for hunting the main problem is a lack of public ground your best bet would probably be a duck hunt as many lakes are open to public hunting. There can also be some good public land turkey hunting about 3 hours west of stillwater. You can find some ok deer hunting on public if you're ok with using a bow or muzzleloader but I would avoid going hunting during rifle season on public it's a circus.

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/wildlife-management-areas

I'm sure you've already used this, but OK is a sleeper state.
There is plenty of public land, plenty of game to chase, and it's reasonably priced compared to many states.

$280 will get you an archery deer tag that is good for 2 bucks and 4 does. Or $280 will get you a deer rifle tag that is I believe good for 1 buck and 2 does.
There are many well managed WMAs all throughout OK and if you use the link, each WMA has the biologist contact info who runs each site. I'd suggest calling them.

I don't know what part your cousins school is in, but there are plenty of WMAs with pigs, stellar quail populations, whitetail, mule deer, etc.
I also agree with the poster above. I stick to WMAs that are bow/muzzleloader only. It really cuts down on the pressure.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys ya I'm mainly bow hunt so I would think the public land pressure wouldn't be to bad and I'll have to do some looking in to the Sooner and Kaw lake areas that you all listed. Now Paddlefish fishing I would never have thought of that one at all I'm definitely going to have to look into doing that I read that they can be found in the Kaw Lake tailwaters? Does that sound right to you guys? I'll have to do more research on how to fish for them. But you guys have given me a good starting point so thank you like I said I've never hunted outside of Illinois so it's all new to me

If you are going to make the trip down there, checkout your dates and see if you can't them line up with a rattlesnake hunt. Good times! Also, if you enjoy riding quads or bikes, bring them. You'll be really close to the dunes and it's a treat to go ride the Little Sahara for a day. You could ride the dunes, snag spoonbill, rattlesnake hunt and noodle flatheads all in one trip, helluva time! Don't forget to stop by and grab a cheeseburger and shake from Braum's Ice Cream.

Last edited:
I grew up and attended college in Oklahoma. I mainly hunted the Spavinaw and Cookson Hills area in NE OK and was lucky enough to elk hunt in the Wichita Mtns. It offers some good public land hunting and great fishing. Focus on archery and blackpowder hunts. Wild hogs are growing in eastern counties.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back