Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Out of State Deer Hunting (Questions)(Advice)

HuntingJudge

Good morning everyone.

I am looking at possibly going out of state for deer hunting in the next few years. I have no Idea where to start, I have watched Randy's break down on youtube. I know many of you all do this, but I am just starting. Does anyone have any good advice on where to start? I know reading each states regulations, I am sure I will need points, looking for Whitetail or Muledeer just about any state just something different than Montana.

Figure I would throw a picture of my buck from this season in here, weapon restriction Shotgun deer. First deer I have shot with a Shotgun.

Attachments

• deer 23.jpg
    deer 23.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 24
I think every hunter ought to experience whitetail rut hunting in the hardwood forests of the Midwest or the east at least once in their lives.

I can tell you, if you decide to hunt Ohio for whitetail during our short gun season, you will definitely need a straight walled cartridge larger than .357 magnum, up to and including .50. You can also use shotguns and muzzle loaders. Archery is from the end of september until late january just about every year.

There is plenty of public land here with monsters taken every year. It's well known that Woodbury in the Coschocton area is usually a good spot to be.

Our gun season is short and you will need to deal with a heavy Amish population normally in that area as I have seen, but there are many places to be if you want to put in the work.

Ask yourself some of these questions:

Does length of season matter?
Amount of tags available?
Driving distance?
Cost?
Type of terrain you want to hunt?
Time of year?
Style of hunt?
Weapon?
Trophy potential?
Game numbers / density?

I try to hunt Wyoming/Idaho/Nebraska each year. Whitetail tags are pretty easy to come by in each state. Although, I think the ship has sailed on your Idaho chance after the general Dec 1st fiasco. Good deer populations in all of the above and regs are pretty easy to read.

Ask yourself some of these questions:

Does length of season matter?
Amount of tags available?
Driving distance?
Cost?
Type of terrain you want to hunt?
Time of year?
Style of hunt?
Weapon?
Trophy potential?
Game numbers / density?
Does length of season matter? no it doesn't, Montana's season is so long that I can put a week or more hunt in anywhere in it.
Amount of tags available? Yes I dont want to be 10 years out, 1-5 would be ok
Driving distance? doesn't matter
Cost? doesn't matter, just don't want to have a guide/outfitter
Type of terrain you want to hunt? not the high County, I enjoy the flats, and breaks country here in Montana
Time of year? doesn't matter
Style of hunt? spot and stalk/ blinds/ combo of both
Weapon? rifle/muzzy/shotgun/ or spot and stalk with a bow
Trophy potential? not a deal breaker, just like to see a decent buck/ have a chance at a decent one.
Game numbers / density? that one matters a little more. I like good numbers of deer.

Does length of season matter? no it doesn't, Montana's season is so long that I can put a week or more hunt in anywhere in it.
Amount of tags available? Yes I dont want to be 10 years out, 1-5 would be ok
Driving distance? doesn't matter
Cost? doesn't matter, just don't want to have a guide/outfitter
Type of terrain you want to hunt? not the high County, I enjoy the flats, and breaks country here in Montana
Time of year? doesn't matter
Style of hunt? spot and stalk/ blinds/ combo of both
Weapon? rifle/muzzy/shotgun/ or spot and stalk with a bow
Trophy potential? not a deal breaker, just like to see a decent buck/ have a chance at a decent one.
Game numbers / density? that one matters a little more. I like good numbers of deer.
Seems like you have too much flexibility. Basically any state could meet your needs.

Maybe narrow down your dream hunt? Maybe spot and stalk in river breaks. From there you can start to look at what states have that available.

Without that narrowing it down, throw a dart at the map of the US and get a tag there?

Pick a state with a location for something you want to see, food, do, etc. and plan a hunt in that area. 2 birds.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back