Am I wasting my time?

devon deer

OK, some of you might be aware I tried for my first Elk in Montana last year, and failed miserably with my rifle, never even saw a bull elk, just cows and calves.
So it got me thinking, perhaps I need another string to my bow (sorry!) and take up archery.
Bow hunting is banned in the UK, but I have found an introduction to field archery course spread over the next 5 weeks, I attended the first session last night and after a safety talk got to shoot some arrows with a recurve bow (I had the impression there is a little snobbery in relation to compound bow archers?) and I must admit I enjoyed the experience.
After the course I can attend the club evenings and get introduced to compound bows.
If I get to like this and become proficient over the next 18 months, if you were in my position would you go down this road or stick with the rifle should I decide (and am allowed, please don't tell my wife she doesn't know yet!) to return in 2 years time?
Is there an advantage that bow hunters have over the rifle in that they get to hunt during the rut?
Sorry, it might seem obvious to you living there but not to me living in blighty.
Thanks
Richard

Hunting is hunting...Time spent and some luck is what it takes. If you feel like you're lethal with the bow go for it. Seeing as how it's banned in the UK you may want to take the opportunity to experience a bow hunt.

The elk can be easier to find than in rifle season...more spread out on public rather than pushed onto private as happens during rifle season, and they make a lot of noise. But you have to know your shooting limits and get inside of that distance which can be easier said than done.

I think most folks would say that it is going to be easier to connect with a rifle than with a bow. I would stick with what you are used to unless for some reason you really want to pick up bow hunting.

Definitely easier with a rifle...being able to take shots at elk across canyons can result in a notched tag. I've stacked up way more rifle kills than bow kills but it is fun trying and getting in close on a fired up bull is one of the greatest experiences you can have hunting, even if you never get a shot off. I guess if a dead animal is the focus I'd say rifle.

Bow hunting is banned........that's un-American........oh, wait. Nevermind.
For me the experience is the biggest draw to hunting. If you go out during bow season, you will have less hunters, Elk in the rut (fired up and moving) and will have a better chance of seeing and being around animals. For me that is worth it even if my chances are less for grounding animals.

Besides that, I just enjoy shooting my bow. I can go home at night and shoot my bow in my backyard every day if I want to. Once you have the equipment, it's free to shoot arrows into a target as much/often as you want to.

I don't think you would regret learning to shoot/hunt with a bow no matter what.

For me the experience is the biggest draw to hunting. If you go out during bow season, you will have less hunters, Elk in the rut (fired up and moving) and will have a better chance of seeing and being around animals. For me that is worth it even if my chances are less for grounding animals.

Excellent point.

I agree with EODRay as well. You'll probably see more animals in bow season, not necessarily get a chance to kill one. BUT IMO, you'll probably have more opportunity.

I've about given up rifle hunting in MT, its a waste of time unless you get decent (bad) weather during your weeks vacation.

Personally I'd go to CO, find a spot where you get away from the ATVs and main trails, you'll have more elk than you know what to do with. In the last 13-14 years, of hunting CO and MT alternatively, I see 4-5x as many elk in a week in CO than in MT, maybe more. I really don't think your odds of killing a big bull in MT are any better or worse than CO either... at least not anymore.

I'd stick with the bow, I think you'll have a much better chance at killing a nice bull than you do with a rifle. Mostly because the bigger bulls wise up and hit the timber. You might have a better chance of killing an elk with a rifle, but I don't think that much better.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for the advice chaps, had another lesson last night, really enjoyed it, next week we will even have sights on the bows!
My wife has already figured out my plans, i will carry on with the archery and then convince my wife i need to return, with either rifle or bow, either way as already said its for the experience, not bothered about a big bull, just to see one would be nice.
ps anybody know any good divorce lawyers just in case?!
Cheers
Richard

Personally I'd go to CO, find a spot where you get away from the ATVs and main trails, you'll have more elk than you know what to do with. In the last 13-14 years, of hunting CO and MT alternatively, I see 4-5x as many elk in a week in CO than in MT, maybe more.

I agree with Bambistew on this one. Like him, I'm from MT and I love elk hunting in the Big Sky state but I'm assuming that since you're coming from the UK that you'd really, really like to get into elk. Colorado offers a lot of elk and high rifle success. I've hunted both states recently. I think your odds of punching your tag are higher in CO generally speaking.

I agree with Bambistew on this one. Like him, I'm from MT and I love elk hunting in the Big Sky state but I'm assuming that since you're coming from the UK that you'd really, really like to get into elk. Colorado offers a lot of elk and high rifle success. I've hunted both states recently. I think your odds of punching your tag are higher in CO generally speaking.

I ''Know'' a fella that has a T.V. show that may not agree with this statement.

Do it! The archery, not the divorce. :D

I'm probably the least-skilled hunter on this board but learning archery a few years ago totally changed my hunting life. I enjoy the sport 1000% more than I ever did while hunting with a rifle, and I'm getting marginally better as time progresses. I spent about 45 minutes on my hands and knees in the middle of an elk herd last year - literally feet away from some cows and calves - and though I couldn't ever get a shot on the big herd bull, I kept thinking 'How cool is this?!' the entire time.

I spent about 45 minutes on my hands and knees in the middle of an elk herd last year - literally feet away from some cows and calves - and though I couldn't ever get a shot on the big herd bull, I kept thinking 'How cool is this?!' the entire time.

That is it right there.

I ''Know'' a fella that has a T.V. show that may not agree with this statement.

I'd be interested to hear his take on it to be honest. I haven't seen said "fella" hunting much in the western part of MT in OTC units, but I know he hunts a lot... may have missed some.

I'd be interested to hear his take on it to be honest. I haven't seen said "fella" hunting much in the western part of MT in OTC units, but I know he hunts a lot... may have missed some.

Rmyoung made a valid point and I'm sure he's right. I was just pointing out that hunting CO. isn't the walk in the park that some would like to portray it to be.
A guy can know what he's doing and still get humbled out there.

I was just pointing out that hunting CO. isn't the walk in the park that some would like to portray it to be. A guy can know what he's doing and still get humbled out there.

Agreed. In Colorado elk don't walk in front of your gun barrel asking to be shot. It's still fair chase elk hunting. Nothing's a given. But that's where I would start if I were making the long trip across the Atlantic for my first bull elk.

If I was going to hunt elk in Montana and it was my only elk hunt of the year, I would be hunting archery season, for the reasons some have stated. But also for this reason. - In September the elk are found higher, which in MT is mostly public land. Once weather and hunting pressure starts, many of the elk go lower, which is private.

If you want to have more encounters in Montana, archery is the way to go, especially if you are hunting public land. If you have private access, either rifle or bow is probably good.

I know some guys on this site who shoot a lot of public land bulls in rifle season, some are really big bulls, so the bulls are obviously there to be had.

As far as Colorado, in my last four years of hunting there, I had chances to shoot bulls that if not for filming and deferral to my tree-shooting brother, I would have punched tags in three of those years. Last year, I had a deer tag and spent most my time on that, so I did not have big expectations of shooting an elk, once I saw the weather and decided deer was on the menu.

Now that MT is pretty much an OTC state, draw odds don't really come into play when comparing the two states; both have easy access to tags. MT does allow you to hunt a deer while elk hunting, which is a good thing when you see a rutted up buck you want to shoot.

If you gave me one elk hunt option and it was a choice between MT or CO for elk and allowed me to choose my weapon, and told me it had to be in a general or OTC unit, I would grab my bow and head to some places within 100 miles of my house. If I lived in CO, I might know some similar spots in CO and that could change my mind.

Even with the left over tags in MT, the public land archery elk hunt here is far better than some of the hunts I have burned points on in other states; both rifle and archery elk hunts in other states. And I am not talking about MT areas where you need a helicopter. If non-residents knew how good some of our public land archery hunts are, compared to states where they are waiting years for a tag, Montana would not have any left over elk tags.

Is it worth looking at the option to build a handful of points and
possibly do a late season rifle hunt in Arizona in one of the 'marginal'
units. Might have a good chance of mature bull encounters with this
hunt as well.

Is it worth looking at the option to build a handful of points and
possibly do a late season rifle hunt in Arizona in one of the 'marginal'
units. Might have a good chance of mature bull encounters with this
hunt as well.

Someone got their hands on my playbook. I will never accumulate more than 5 points in AZ, for the rest of my life, unless it starts taking more than that for the late rifle hunts. I was in a "marginal" elk unit last week, chasing antelope, and every day we saw bulls over 300" and some way over 300". Most people, myself included, a 300" late seasonb ull is a "smile maker."

Originally Posted by Devil Diver Down I spent about 45 minutes on my hands and knees in the middle of an elk herd last year - literally feet away from some cows and calves - and though I couldn't ever get a shot on the big herd bull, I kept thinking 'How cool is this?!' the entire time.
That is it right there.quote mtlion

Nothing like being into them. Good description trip D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back