Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Airport drinking

The airliner contracted to fly us FNGs to Tan Son Nhut airfield in Saigon Sept of 1969 had a landing gear malfunction and landed in Honolulu for repairs. We thirsty young fellows in our Army TW uniforms went directly into the terminal and began ordering and sampling every "umbrella" drink available. By reboarding time seven hours later we really needed to sit ... as we could hardly walk. When we landed it was like entering a foggy, high humidy, high temperature unfamiliar scary huge sauna with a head-splitting hangover ... just sure somebody was about to shoot you! Truly a flight, an airport drinking layover, and a day not to be forgotten!

Last edited:
The airliner contracted to fly us FNGs to Tan Son Nhut airfield in Saigon Sept of 1969 had a landing gear malfunction and landed in Honolulu for repairs. We thirsty young fellows in our Army TW uniforms went directly into the terminal and began ordering and sampling every "umbrella" drink available. By reboarding time we really needed to sit ... as we could hardly walk. When we landed it was like entering a foggy, high humidy, high temperature unfamiliar scary huge sauna with a head-splitting hangover ... just sure somebody was about to shoot you! Truly a flight, an airport drinking layover, and a day not to be forgotten!
Great story.

My buddy Ray (USMC ‘68) said he remembers the flight. Then day two he was the FNG on patrol and realized, “These F$&kers are actually trying to kill me. “

The airliner contracted to fly us FNGs to Tan Son Nhut airfield in Saigon Sept of 1969 had a landing gear malfunction and landed in Honolulu for repairs. We thirsty young fellows in our Army TW uniforms went directly into the terminal and began ordering and sampling every "umbrella" drink available. By reboarding time seven hours later we really needed to sit ... as we could hardly walk. When we landed it was like entering a foggy, high humidy, high temperature unfamiliar scary huge sauna with a head-splitting hangover ... just sure somebody was about to shoot you! Truly a flight, an airport drinking layover, and a day not to be forgotten!
Thanks to you and your family for your service and sacrifice.

Thanks to you and your family for your service and sacrifice.
Thank-you. Second time I flew over was a sober flight so as not to "sacrifice" so many brain cells. Alas, there were a few binges while on the ground over there ... once when a brand new Army dentist literally broke my aching molars out with a hammer & chisel ... ouch!!!

I almost missed my flight back to Afghanistan from leave. I had a connection and forgot about time change so I was pounding Bud Lattes at the bar thinking I had another hour. Thank god they paged me and I was close to my gate. Walked on the plane half-cocked and kept this one man party going until I passed out somewhere over the Atlantic!!!

Four hour layover in Seattle.

Sitting here wondering if we fly to drink or drink to fly.

Either way. I’ll have another please.
That little spot kinda in that 4 way corner cut us off a couple years ago. Then I tried to buy a bottle of whiskey from the duty free place. The lady wasn’t buying that I was gonna drink it over international waters on my flight to ak

I almost missed my flight back to Afghanistan from leave. I had a connection and forgot about time change so I was pounding Bud Lattes at the bar thinking I had another hour. Thank god they paged me and I was close to my gate. Walked on the plane half-cocked and kept this one man party going until I passed out somewhere over the Atlantic!!!
Was @Gellar buying you drinks?

Thank-you. Second time I flew over was a sober flight so as not to "sacrifice" so many brain cells. Alas, there were a few binges while on the ground over there ... once when a brand new Army dentist literally broke my aching molars out with a hammer & chisel ... ouch!!!
Army dentists are the absolute worst.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back