After your tagged out?

streamer

I will be hunt Wyoming on a backpack style hunt and would like to know if I would tag out on my elk can I still carry my gun with me to know that it's save, or to hunt coyotes, or do I have to leave it at camp. A little nervous about leaving it in the truck or at camp alone, guns are not cheap these days.

I would call the DNR and ask about that. If coyotes are legal year round, I don't see a problem as long as you have a tag that would let you hunt coyotes...like a small game tag or someting

I've covered that before with the Game Warden I know out there and you CAN carry legally before or after you tag your animal if you want to shoot a coyote that has no closed season on them and no license requirement. I do it all the time out there with my rifle and also carry a handgun a lot of times in case of a rattler. This is the actual section that covers it right out of the G&F Hunting Guide posted on their website:

Predatory Animals: In Wyoming, several species
are legally classified as predatory animals. These
are coyote, red fox, raccoon, porcupine, skunk,
jackrabbit and stray domestic cat. These species may
be hunted or trapped without a license and there is no
closed season.

Last edited:
I am no attorney but if I am in the American West and not near a schoolhouse I am pretty sure I can pack a rifle whether I am photographing butterflies or looking for a place to drop a steamer!

steamer---It just depends on where you are and what time of year it is as far as temperature. Prairie rattlers are the smaller version that are quite common throughput quite a bit of the state at the lower elevations. I've seen quite a few at 7,000 feet, but I call that a low elevation out there where the mountains go up almost twice that high.

We came accross a Prairie Rattler in Wyoming hunting antelope two years ago in Unit 7. He just coiled up and hid his head as if to say "leave me alone". I picked him up with a long stick and he just looked at me so I put him down and he went about his business. A good humored critter, way more friendly that a Diamondback. Not saying he wouldn't bite you if you stepped on him, but not all nasty tempered like a DB.

we call them ditch tigers here! As soon as the neighbors farm gets too many of them you see them running the ditches

My kid just about got bitten by a huge prairie rattler on a scouting trip on the east side of the Shirleys in Wyoming. It was the biggest prairie rattler that I have ever seen. He still talks about that close call! We just let him go and walked away. I kind of wish that I had killed him and kept the hide for a momento of the adventure!

They are just out doing their thing. I would not have the extra weight of a pistol just for a snake. Just walk around him and wish him all the luck at hunting mice-UNLESS HE IS IN YOUR CAMP!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back