Africa Big Five

Europe

I have spoken to and read about hunting preferences of the Big Five in Africa and find my preferences are different than the majority.

I found the Lion to be the most exhilarating and the Leopard to be the least challenging ( excluding the small window of time allowed to take one each day ), but find very few who agree with me.

Please dont consider the difference in the cost or export restrictions ( if any ) when considering. Simply from a pure "Hunting" point of view------which of the Big Five would you choose to hunt and why ?

Thank you

If I was ever able to go and hunt in Africa I would be so excited I wouldn't care, ha.

Without a doubt it would be Cape Buffalo. I grew up reading stories of charges and hunters who had and who didn't have "it" when it came time. I'd kinda like to see if I did. I'd like to think I did and by "it" I mean be calm enough to make a good shot the first time and not endanger anyone with a wounded one.

I'd go lion second. Not very close for me but I would like to feel the intensity of those situations

I'm with you Europe, anything I've ever read on Leopards seems a bit boring. If I'm spending that kind of money that wouldn't be my choice. Also, not all that excited about rhino or elephant. Not that they lack excitement during the hunt, just not my thing I guess.

Un related, but I would put Tiger at the absolute top of my list. I couldn't imagine some of the scenarios I've read in books. "Tigers if Kumaon" by Jim Corbett is my all time favorite. And he did most of it with a 7mm mauser (275 Rigby).

Last edited:
For me my first would be rhino I think it would be exhilarating taking down and animal of that size.

I was fortunate to tag along on some of my dad’s buffalo hunts when we lived in Kenya, but none of his elephant or leopard adventures. He eventually “proved up” (qualified to hunt buffalo without a Professional Hunter guiding him) on buffalo and was even authorized to do control work helping reduce populations. Those control hunts utilized dogs to bring buffalo to bay, and then the hunting party would catch up, much in the same way hounds are used for mountain lions in the west.

For myself, I would choose a Cape Buffalo hunt. I would personally entertain an elephant hunt, but Mrs kansasdad has told me that this would be a non negotiable “NOPE” for her, and I’m ok with that.

Heck with Africa, hunt Az.
We have similar animals, just in miniature form:
Dik -dik = Coues Deer
Jaguar= Mountain Lion
Wart Hog=Javelina
Kudu=Elk
Gazelle=Mule Deer
Costs a lot less also.
You still get the fear factor from Rattlesnakes, Tarantulas and the
various cactus/ flora that can scratch you, poke you and find different ways
to disembowel you. OH, and then there is the guaranteed sunburn that will blister your skin!
Enjoy your stay in sunny Az., Now Go Home...Ha!, Ha! 💥

Last edited:
Like most, I have never been fortunate enough to hunt in Africa. If given the opportunity though, elephant would be my first choice without a doubt. The old stories of the ivory hunters have captivated me. Buffalo would be my second choice, then followed by rhino. I think I would rather hunt hippo before lion and leopard even though it isn't part of the "Big 5." As far as antelope go, I think the black wildebeest would be my first choice.

I am with Hunting Wife. There are so many beautiful and different types of Antelope, I would be broke just hunting them.

Big Five preferences

Elephant
Lion
buffalo
Rhino
Leopard

And for what it is worth April, I am available if you need someone to assist your family the next time one of them heads to Africa. I can carry luggage, cook, help set up and break camp, drive, hell I might even be willing to act as a "decoy" if necessary ;)

I am with Hunting Wife. There are so many beautiful and different types of Antelope, I would be broke just hunting them.

Big Five preferences

Elephant
Lion
buffalo
Rhino
Leopard

And for what it is worth April, I am available if you need someone to assist your family the next time one of them heads to Africa. I can carry luggage, cook, help set up and break camp, drive, hell I might even be willing to act as a "decoy" if necessary ;)
Randi, which would you be a decoy for? Hmmm...
I guess "decoy" is better than "bait"! Ha!,Ha! 💥

Un related, but I would put Tiger at the absolute top of my list. I couldn't imagine some of the scenarios I've read in books. "Tigers if Kumaon" by Jim Corbett is my all time favorite. And he did most of it with a 7mm mauser (275 Right).

Hmm.....it was my impression that Corbett usually carried a 450 Nitro double when hunting man-eaters. The 275 H&H was brought out only when a long shot was expected and that wasn't often.

As for the big 5, I'd love to see all, but pocketbook would probably dictate the bag would be restricted to photos. Spending my allowance on mostly on the various antelope.

Hmm.....it was my impression that Corbett usually carried a 450 Nitro double when hunting man-eaters. The 275 H&H was brought out only when a long shot was expected and that wasn't often.

As for the big 5, I'd love to see all, but pocketbook would probably dictate the bag would be restricted to photos. Spending my allowance on mostly on the various antelope.
Perhaps I misspoke with saying mostly, but in reading his book it was used extensively. 1707c271f48bcbe4ae1364225e5cb89f.jpg

Perhaps I misspoke with saying mostly, but in reading his book it was used extensively. View attachment 147383

Yes, on sambar and chital and their mountain goat. Much of his writing about stalking the man -eaters doesn't really focus on the rifle carried, but often cites an immediate "second" shot, fired as insurance. In keeping with the British love of a double rifle for dangerous game and viewing that many of his shots at the tigers hunted can be ranged in feet rather than yards, I always felt that the 450 was his preferred tiger gun.
Who knows? Without his listing the rifle used for every kill, it's mostly conjecture. I'm sure we both agree that Corbett was a hell of a hunter and an equally fine writer and his stories make some of the most compelling reads in hunting literature.

Un related, but I would put Tiger at the absolute top of my list. I couldn't imagine some of the scenarios I've read in books. "Tigers if Kumaon" by Jim Corbett is my all time favorite. And he did most of it with a 7mm mauser (275 Rigby).

Not that important, but to clear up one point. VAspeedgoat is correct when referring to the 275 Rigby. Later on this thread someone said it was the 275 H & H--it was not.

Elephant, Buffalo, or Rhino would work for me. I understand Leopards are hunted from a blind, so I will pass on that hunt, but I will bet when push comes to shove, a Lion hunt would make the heart pump a bit faster.

I would prefer a "Double" on an Elephant, Buffalo, or Rhino hunt, but I think I would prefer my "lever" 348 for Lion.

I have taken the first step today toward the aforementioned hunts, I bought a lotto ticket

My personal Big 5 would be
1-Cape Buffalo
2-Kudu
3-Sable
4-Dik-dik
5-Leopard

Bonus animal- Elephant

Unless I fall on my face into a pile of money I will never hunt any of them.

I haven’t been here that long, but Europe you always create an awesome topic. For the big 5 I’d probably lean buffalo first closely followed by lion, not sure I would have interest in chasing the others. I would also thoroughly enjoy the hunt for the rifle to carry over there...

Perhaps I misspoke with saying mostly, but in reading his book it was used extensively. View attachment 147383

I'm a bit of a Corbett fanatic so you'll have to excuse me here. You need to read yourself all of his books, they're all great and you get a lot more about him as a man and his hunting from them.

Off the top of my head he only shot the talla des tiger and chowgarh tiger with the 275, most where with his 450/400 NE (using cordite not gun powder). He didn't even like following up wounded leopard with his 275. the only other guns I can think of him using were a shotgun to shoot the panar leopard (far worse than the rudrapryag leopard) and a 500BP double to shoot the champawat tiger for which the government awarded him the 275 Rigby. When he shot his first leopard, I think it was a 577/450 Martini Henry. Not bad for a solo hunting ten year old.

Contrary to what some people assume, he hunted tigers and leopards outside of maneaters pretty regularly.

Back