Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

BOTSWANA: Leopard Hunt With Hounds - Botswana, Africa - September 2023

Great photos and write-up! I've spent a lot of time in East Africa (and going back again this year). I don't have familiarity with hound hunting there.

Do hounds have a high mortality rate out there? Where I've spent time in rural Kenya and Tanzania I would assume hounds would be killed quite often given the density of Lions/Leopards/Hyenas etc.
Dangerous game hunting, including hunting with hounds, is never risk-free. The professional hunters, trackers, houndsmen, tribal officials, and wildlife officials attempt to keep both the hunters and hounds safe throughout the hunt.

Nonetheless, a hound is occasionally injured by the leopard. The hounds take years to train and are worth quite a bit of money each. They all wear GPS collars so they are not lost. I have not heard of any hunters getting attacked or injured while hunting with this outfitter over the years.

You would not want to get attacked by the leopard. They’re called “spotted chainsaws” for a reason. Also, this type of hunting is extremely regulated by the government and wildlife officials. The majority of the hunt fees go to the local tribal officials for the benefit of the local people. I am sure that some corruption is present but discouraged and illegal.

SCI is conducting an extensive leopard density survey throughout Botswana at this time so future sustained-use wildlife management decisions by foreign and domestic wildlife officials can be based on science and not knee-jerk emotions. Very interesting information and data that is being compiled. I also think that SCI will attempt to gather the same data in Zimbabwe and Mozambique.

Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

Dangerous game hunting, including hunting with hounds, is never risk-free. The professional hunters, trackers, houndsmen, tribal officials, and wildlife officials attempt to keep both the hunters and hounds safe throughout the hunt.

Nonetheless, a hound is occasionally injured by the leopard. The hounds take years to train and are worth quite a bit of money each. They all wear GPS collars so they are not lost. I have not heard of any hunters getting attacked or injured while hunting with this outfitter over the years.

You would not want to get attacked by the leopard. They’re called “spotted chainsaws” for a reason. Also, this type of hunting is extremely regulated by the government and wildlife officials. The majority of the hunt fees go to the local tribal officials for the benefit of the local people. I am sure that some corruption is present but discouraged and illegal.

SCI is conducting an extensive leopard density survey throughout Botswana at this time so future sustained-use wildlife management decisions by foreign and domestic wildlife officials can be based on science and not knee-jerk emotions. Very interesting information and data that is being compiled. I also think that SCI will attempt to gather the same data in Zimbabwe and Mozambique.

Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.
Awesome info, thanks for the response!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back