Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Proposed Big Game Season Structure (BGSS) 2025-2029 - Colorado

I’m not sure I understand your point that you’re waiting for an RFW tag while living in New York. RFW tags are for residents only.

The ranch owners can dispose of the tags they received for being in the program any way they want, so most sell them or get outfitters to sell them to their hunters. I have relationship that allows me to purchase one.
Residents can draw for a RFW I believe however I don’t know the particulars of that.

The ranch owners can dispose of the tags they received for being in the program any way they want, so most sell them or get outfitters to sell them to their hunters. I have relationship that allows me to purchase one.
Residents can draw for a RFW I believe however I don’t know the particulars of that.

RFW and the vouchers you purchase are not the same thing. RFW is draw only, non transferable, and resident only. vouchers are transferable landowner tags not available to the any of the general public R/NR through a draw.

RFW and the vouchers you purchase are not the same thing. RFW is draw only, non transferable, and resident only.

Excuse me, maybe my terminology was incorrect? In any event I know the ranch is in the RFW program I assumed the voucher come from being in that program. I know for fact that the rancher/owner can dispose of the tags they receive any way they want.
In any event I haven’t had to draw, just purchase it any all applicable licenses.

Last edited:
RFW ranches get vouchers for their private licenses just like landowners in the LPP get when they are successful drawing vouchers.

Thanks for clearing that up for us Oak. Nice to see I am not crazy

Last edited:
I'm not sure how the agency would judge the economic impact on local communities beyond taking them at their word (LOL). And there is not an economic impact to the agency by going totally limited until they set license quotas. In other words, they have control over the impact.
Looking for the fine print, I scrolled clear to Appendix C @ bottom of the CPW doc. There I found CPW projections for revenue loss related to each option they considered. CPW uses average of 2021 & 22 total license sales in their revenue and tag # projections, which will be low because of almost certain increase in OTC archery licenses in 2023 (didn't find total OTC archery elk # in stats), and what will be an archery OTC last chance free-for-all in 2024 if CPW announces totally limited archery elk beginning 2025.

"While staff acknowledge that limiting OTC elk archery licenses for both residents and nonresidents would have a financial impact on CPW and some hunting-related businesses and local businesses that financially benefit from hunting, staff believe that reducing archery elk licenses around 10% initially is appropriate for addressing concerns of overcrowding in OTC elk units and enhancing local management ability, while remaining cognizant of the financial impacts."

I would think you could get to the 10% number by making OTC units a draw for non-residents (similar to other western states). Alternatively, OTC with Caps vs. eliminating OTC all together for both residents and non-residents alike. Also, this does nothing for overcrowding during 2nd and 3rd rifle pumpkin patch.

Noon tomorrow (March 8) is the deadline to sign up if you would like to comment virtually on BGSS or any other agenda topics at the Commission meeting next week.

I've read a lot of comments on this thread and the CBA thread about what people wish staff would have recommended. It's all still on the table. Comment.
Thanks, @Oak. Commented via email already. to leave more airtime for those who need it.

Reactions: Oak
Due to inclement weather forecasted for this week, Director Davis has made the decision that the March Commission Meeting will be completely virtual. This means there is no option to attend the meeting in person, and all business will be conducted virtually. The agenda and reference materials for March PWC meeting have been posted and can be viewed online on the Commission meeting page. And when the meeting is live you can view it on YouTube.

With this change from a hybrid meeting format to a virtual format, we are opening another opportunity to sign up for public comment. Pre-registration for public comment is required. The sign up for virtual public comment can be found here and the deadline to pre-register is Tuesday, March 12 at 4 pm MT.

As always, you may send comments to the Commission email address at [email protected]. Please note that written comments will be provided to Commissioners in advance of their May meeting.

I would think you could get to the 10% number by making OTC units a draw for non-residents (similar to other western states). Alternatively, OTC with Caps vs. eliminating OTC all together for both residents and non-residents alike. Also, this does nothing for overcrowding during 2nd and 3rd rifle pumpkin patch.
Otc rifle tag sales have decreased by about 11-12% since 2002. It's better now than previously, and there really are quite a fee spots you can hunt without running into many other hunters. I feel like archery is way more crowded in the otc units, but that may be due to bowhunters willingness to hike in a ways more so than rifle hunters

I have hunted both rifle and archery OTC units over the years. It depends on the unit and where you hunt in a given unit. I have seen archery OTC units with a ton of hunters and spend 2 weeks in a different unit and only run across one or two other hunters. I have been in rifle OTC units and had the same experience, some crowded, some not.

The percentage of rifle hunters declined in 2002 but over the past several years, since 2009 and more recently, the numbers for rifle hunters have been increasing +10% (see link from CPW). Additionally, the overall total number of rifle hunters exceeds the total number of archery hunters by 61+% from the most recent data point.

From a pressure perspective, rifle hunters are compressed into two week-long seasons, where as archery pressure gets spread over a full month.

I think the perception that there are more archery hunters is the rapid growth of archery hunting since 2002, nearly doubled in the past 20 years, although only a 6% increase since 2009. An interesting data point is that since 2014 resident OTC archery tag sales have gone down by 20% and non-resident tag sales have increased by 28%. This would indicate that OTC with caps or non-resident draw would be an effective way to reduce hunter numbers and pressure for OTC units that CPW is choosing to ignore.

If CPW is really concerned about hunting pressure and hunter numbers in OTC units, they should apply the same considerations to both archery and rifle. Unfortunately, OTC archery going to draw is just foreshadowing what may eventually happen to OTC rifle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back