A timely lament . . .

exactly. and at the risk of turning the thread politically divisive, trump perfected and super charged the approach. and holy shit it works.
The left carefully crafted total domination of thinking in the education system over the course of 6 decades and Trump blew it all up in a New York minute. People are amazing animals to watch.

He and I agree on very very little, but wow is he a polished speaker when allowed to bath in his own facts. If you just accept his public words he is all things to all people. Just saw him on Bill Mahr's HBO show. I would guess his Cali credentials will kill him in swing states - but he is a slick talker - much more so than Biden, Kamala, Kloubachar, Warren, etc.
You said a mouthful. Saw him with DeSantis and he just ignored factual questions, such as why is the crime rate up, twisting into answering a different question; hardly a new tactic for politicians, but he was very facile.

How can anyone support a party or people who thinks (votes) that it is ok for boys to go into a women's bathroom or allow boys to play in girls' sports? Thats a sickness that needs professional correction.

both sides of the political coin have some agenda ideals that i feel basically warrant targeted mental therapy. but even then, often they're sort of fringe ideals the core probably doesn't feel as passionate about anyway but they get way blown up and the social media machine churns them into bigger problems than they are.

One of my favorite political jokes "politicians should wear their sponsors on their jackets like NASCAR drivers do"
I have a long acquainted political "friend". I asked him if he was going to run for governor when newsome leaves office. His quick reply was that it takes a minimum of 30 million just to get a campaign off the ground. No matter what his qualifications may or may not be, he can't afford to buy his attempt at the office.

I think that people are really "feeling" some of these policies and it scares the heck out of them. The natural reaction is to get pissed and fight. I can't blame them one bit.

I have thought a lot about this topic in the last few years and my thesis centers around 3 dynamics that seem to have sent us on this downward spiral.

1. back in the mid-1990s the media was leaning left creating a space/[perceived need for balance, and Fox News was born. This allowed for the left leaning media to lean further and Fox to lean even further to balance, and over time the media has largely devolved into the informal information wings of each party no longer striving to be the check and balance of government as a whole, but just to fight the opposing side.

2. Social media has made it possible to create your own echo chamber to the point where critical thinking skills have atrophied to the point where the average person hasn't reasoned their way to their opinions anymore, so when confronted with a differing opinion they aren't able to engage in meaningful dialogue and are left with defensiveness.

3. We have gotten to a point in our society where the government and average people are not driven by necessity, and has too much free time to worry about shit that doesn't matter or is none of their business, and just become political footballs for people to fight over. We come together when we have a common enemy or cause. When that goes away we let ourselves be convinced that other peoples issues are ours. I also believe that there are internal and external entities that want the American people to remain distracted, because if we understood their agendas they would be in trouble....

Here's a copy paste of an email from a friend.

Like many citizens, I've wondered and tried hard to understand why Trump has such a remarkable following. (It's obvious why he probably should not!) Then a friend sent me this raccoon story. It makes no difference about your political leanings; this is just a good explanation of WHY... (or it's as good as any I can come up with).

If you really want to know how the majority of people feel? This applies to both Democrats and Republicans; read below, it says it all.

You've been on vacation for two weeks, you come home, and your basement is infested with raccoons. Hundreds of rabid, messy, mean raccoons have overtaken your basement. You want them gone immediately. You call the city, 4 different exterminators, but nobody can handle the job. But there is this one guy and he guarantees you to get rid of them, so you hire him. You don't care if the guy smells, you don't care if the guy swears, you don't care if he's an alcoholic, you don't care how many times he's been married, you don't care if he voted for Obama, you don't care if he has a plumber's crack, you simply want those raccoons gone! You want your problem fixed! He's the guy. He's the best. Period!

Here's why we want Trump, yes, he's a bit of an ass, yes, he's an egomaniac, but we don't care. The country is a mess because politicians suck, the Republicans and Democrats can be two-faced & gutless, and illegals are everywhere. We want it all fixed! We don't care that Trump is crude, we don't care that he insults people, we don't care that he once was friendly with Hillary, we don't care that he has changed positions, we don't care that he's been married 3 times, we don't care that he fights with Megyn Kelly and Rosie O'Donnell, we don't care that he doesn't know the name of some Muslin terrorist, and we don’t care if he sends mean tweets.

This country is weak, bankrupt, our enemies are making fun of us, we are being invaded by illegals, we are becoming a nation of victims where every Tom, Ricardo, and Hasid is a special group with special rights to a point where we don't even recognize the country we were born and raised in; "AND WE JUST WANT IT FIXED" and Trump is the only guy who seems to understand what the people want.

We're sick of politicians, sick of the Democratic Party, Republican Party, and sick of illegals. We just want this thing fixed. Trump may not be a saint, but he doesn't have lobbyist money holding him, he doesn't have political correctness restraining him, all you know is that he has been very successful, a good negotiator, he has built a lot of things, and he's also not a politician, he's not a cowardly politician. And he says he'll fix it.

And, we believe him because he is too much of an egotist to be proven wrong or looked at and called a liar. Also, we don't care if the guy has bad hair. We just want those raccoons gone, out of our house, NOW.

You are welcome to pass this on. I feel this is why thousands of people who haven't voted in 25 years are getting involved.

The raccoons have got to go.

exactly. and at the risk of turning the thread politically divisive, trump perfected and super charged the approach. and holy shit it works.
I still don't get how it's T v. B

I feel like in previous generations we would be looking at a Paul Ryan v. Mayor Pete... or folks like that.

The two incumbents have the two lowest approval ratings of any modern Presidents, I really hope no one loses friends over this vote.

I feel like in previous generations we would be looking at a Paul Ryan v. Mayor Pete... or folks like that.

The two incumbents have the two lowest approval ratings of any modern Presidents, I really hope no one loses friends over this vote.

it's impossible to understand.

i think, quite honestly, more friends will be made over this election than lost. it feels like it's hard to meet a person anymore of any persuasion that just can't believe and is borderline disgusted that these are our two options.

edit: i know technically it's not decided yet who the two are gonna be. but i kinda am at the point it's a foregone clonclusion.

Oh bloody hell... / ,,, / --- and whatever else waste people's time to discuss. ;) Politics. I'll start and end with the last quoted portion:

When we don't share our opinions with our fellow friends and those who seek to dip into internet forum discussions, many whom I've had the opportunity to meet in person, it is the same as a conservation issue. Don't speak... and @Moserkr concludes my thoughts on this topic.

When you dont discuss politics [conservation], you let other people speak for you.

We are at the divisive mercy of two financial machines some like to call political parties. 5 years ago I would've told you which representative of either I preferred, and why. I really no longer do.

Once I started to believe that though the difference between either are very different trails through very different philosophical geographies, and yet in their present state will actually arrive at the same destination - that being chaos - a kind of grace was incorporated into my political views. When faced with two decisions, both of which are deeply unacceptable, we shouldn't hold it against our fellow Americans for their choices as it serves little purpose.

Again, @Nameless Range always holds a professional and pragmatic approach to subjects he keys for us to read. I've said it before and because I can, I'll share it again... Theodore Roosevelt summed the Republican and Democrat - machine, "Boss Party Politics". The rise of the Bull Moose Party and the Boss Party political machine made sure to quash the threat of a third party.

i'm not sure anyone is "trying" to tear it apart. most everyone believes fully in their heart they are trying to save and restore it and "know" they are right.

Agree: One party is always trying to fix the other's fk-ups. Or so their propaga declares to maintain and boost their constituent voting base.

One thing i have come to have no tolerance for is extreme wokism or q anonism. Not sure what soceity will ever be able to do about those extremists - but its not trending well for the sane majority.

If this isn't the truth - God strike me down in the next five seconds! Well I declare to all - I'm stil aliv --- ,,, ... e. Truth it is.

Re: ellipsis / commas ... (pun intended) ..., ...
I suppose we all have a line to draw ;)

We, who join this arena of "debate" call this, "Grammar Nazi-ism". Added the hyphen for the pun of pundits.

The left carefully crafted total domination of thinking in the education system over the course of 6 decades and Trump blew it all up in a New York minute. People are amazing animals to watch.

Always takes two. We look at Trump and we have to wonder WHY did he gain sooo much support to become the President of the United States. Democrats choice failed to represent the interest.
Actually, this began when Republicans were not excited about an uncontrollable puppet! Democrats demonized every Trump-ism possible and what occurred? The magnets turned upon themselves and Trump seperated himself from the Republicans who reluctantly had to identify him as their Candidate and Democrats chit their pants when their candidate LOST to a ...

No - I did NOT vote for either R or D. I couldn't believe those were the choices our Boss Party Political machine provided us. I wrote in for te first time and I never even considered a write in before.
Second round? I voted for the sect celebrity turd over the questionably challenged turd.

1. 3 little words: "I respectfully disagree."
2. When the power of the middle reclaims our 2 party system from the tyranny of either extreme, we will again feel our greatness. Our Machiavellis were elected by voters who can replace them with bipartisans.

THIS as it relates to Hunt Talk: There are a couple VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE HT members here though they get stroked sooo darn quick by their following minions they blow their mental load and present their arrogant @#)(# for minions to praise them with thumbs up to wizz on others. It's classic grade school bully mentality that many here have yet to identify.

"And that's the way it is" - RIP, Walter Cronkite.

And yes, I respectfully disagree in advance. ;)

Last edited:
I think the trans/gender conversation has gotten squirrely for sure, but going to all unisex bathroom stalls like many other countries have had for years and I would prefer (I don't need to see the ankles of the guy next to me expelling yesterday's chili) is hardly reason to lose family. And for kids sports, we way over think those and frankly most kids should just be in co-ed rec league and not 5am school day hockey practice. If it becomes a real problem we can solve it with height and weight categories like we have in football and wrestling for kids for decades. At the elite levels testosterone level rules probably fix it. Again, sad to lose a sister over.

As a father of three young girls, nothing scares me more than the direction we are being pushed by progressives on this issue. I've become a libertarian in my middle age and I've softened or slightly changed my stances on lots of issues, there are hills I'm just not going to die on anymore, but the gender debate has become my absolute non-negotiable as far as my vote goes, and I think many, many other people feel the same way...I don't care what party you're in or how great your other ideas may be-don't. touch. my. kids.

For sure; this is the best we can do? From the standpoint of O&G, what is your opinion of RFK Jr.?

Just saw him on Bill Mahr's HBO show. I would guess his Cali credentials will kill him in swing states - but he is a slick talker - much more so than Biden, Kamala, Kloubachar, Warren, etc.
Which also means he knows how to dodge answering questions. I think his answer to Maher asking him to stop all this almond growing (using up tons of water), was to say the state just needs to figure out how to capture more of the water runoff.

That way he didn't tick off the almond growers -- keeping those votes for 2028.

For sure; this is the best we can do? From the standpoint of O&G, what is your opinion of RFK Jr.?
Generally I don't think as far as OG goes the President makes much of a difference.

Dems tend to bump prices after elections for the same reasons that they do guns, but that's about it.

Back