Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

9 Wyo Elk Points, What to do?

Jimmy G

I have 9 elk points for Wyoming that i would like to burn this coming year. I mostly hunt alone and would prefer to stay out of Grizz country. I would love to hunt a unit that i can archery hunt first and be able to head back with a rifle if I am not able to arrow one, but i know that may make it harder to draw the tag.

I also wouldn't be opposed to putting in with another person who may have knowledge or access to some good elk country.

Thanks for any input!

You have a decision to make. Drop down and grab a unit that could have 100% been drawn with 6 or 7 points last year then is likely you get that tag or apply for a unit that took 8 points last year and may get blocked by point creep and increased applications at your point level.

If want to hunt, drop down then go hunt. If are hearing the call of the best elk units then drawing a tag is much less than a sure thing next year or even the next few years. Several of the better elk units are not even 100% draw if had max points.

There is your quandary.

If I had that many I would hunt the Bighorns, not sure what unit exactly, but between the terrain/scenery and the elk I think that's where I'd try for.

I am in the same boat. Have 10 points and want to burn them. If someone want to team up. I am solo also. Burnt my deer points up this year. Time to search hard ............BOB!

With point creep in most western states, it makes total sense. Myself for example: our group has been buying points for several states and species, but we only have time to do about one out of state hunt per year. We know we want to hunt elk in Wyoming but don't know where yet or what year it will work best. For $60 a year for a point, it seems pretty reasonable to keep up with point creep to some degree until we can go. I do a ton of research and try to stay up to date on different units we might be able to draw. Point creep, a terrible winter, the unit you want bring featured in a hunting magazine, etc., can change the unit you want to hunt or are able to hunt on a given year. I have a gohunt.com membership and they have good info on units and members seem pretty helpful too. I will say after we burn our points in a few years, its onto hunting general units every couple years and learning an area. Good luck to ya.

You have a good problem. Can't have too many points. I don't know if I have the will power to get to 9 points. On second thoughts, I definitely couldn't make it to 9 points. I like to hunt too much!!!

As a group we accumulated 8.2 as an average. We drew our type 1 tags and had a bang up shootem up good trip, killing four bulls.

I'm baffled that someone would save for 9-10 years for a hunt and have no plan on the hunt itself.

Geez, just because a guy has a question doesn’t mean he has no clue. I’ve got 10-20 points all over the west for everything you can imagine and I still click on posts like this looking for information and things I’ve not thought of. I can only go on one or two hunts per year and it all depends on what I draw. This year I drew Utah Mountain Goat and Alaska Musk Ox and they were great DIY adventures all because I asked a few questions and did have a clue...

Good luck in you quest Jimmy G.

Thanks for the input....

Of course I have some sort of a plan, haha. I have been hunting elk in Idaho and Montana and just putting in for Wyoming points knowing one year, i would hopefully have some points to draw a tag and have a good time chasing bulls.

Just thought i would reach out and see if anyone had any insight that may be different than what i was thinking.

Anyone know when we may know for sure when the wyoming applications and draw will be this year? I heard that it was moving later for sure, but then i heard that wasn't finalized or official.

Last edited:
This just me because I am flexiable year to year. I am more likely to put in a one up unit then the point total I have they put in for a sure bet one point down unit. So if unit 100% with and 30% with 9 points I would take the shot on that vs a 8 point unit that’s a sure thing.

I'm not Baffled. I have 10 points and will find a Good unit. In the mean time I killed a couple great Bulls here in AZ. Boy i'm Baffled...LOL..............BOB!

Back