MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

500 yard scope for $300

Randy,

If all you want to do is upgrade your scope...then there are many options, these guys are giving great advice.

But, if your goal is to stretch your effective range to 500+...a new scope without an elevation turret is only going to gain you some clarity and a different reticle. A multiplex scope is going to make you put the bushnell back on...and find some sucker to sell it to.

Take it from someone thats been down the road of "kentucky windage" and the hold-over game....its for amateurs and folk that dont know any better.

There is NO substitute, nor better way, to get you to 500+ than with a turret. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING trumps being able to spin your chit, and hold dead on the target.

Anything else, you're "guessing" during crunch time and thats a sure loser...nearly every time.

I prefer to control the things I can, and not using the holdover method is one of those things. Its easy and cheap to get there...

Great advice here. I do like MOA hash marks on the horizontal to compensate for wind though.
If I were you I probably raise my budget a little and get a leupold VX II.

Leupold charged $80 two years ago to install a custom yardage turret and sent a MOA turret along with it. I've since bought two scopes with MOA turrets. I print out a drop chart with the number of clicks in 25 yard increments, laminate it and put it in my rangefinder case. I used the G7 free software. You plug in the data and it generates a theoretical drop chart. You go to the range to verify and enter the variance and it generates an exact drop chart. The only estimating is on the temperature and elevation I hunt. I will be + or - 500 feet on the elevation and 10 degrees on the temperature. I have not seen a major impact on POI from elevation and temp at ranges under 750 yards.

I can get you the burris for $260.00 to your door...
And for your price range I would go with a ranging reticle over trusting the tracking of a dial. I agree with Buzz on everything but I would not trust turning any dials on scopes under $300 for the most part. I use the ranging reticle on my Sako and never had much trouble hitting long shots. I do prefere dialing in and aiming dead on but once again, only at a higher priced scope. If you ever went to the range and had to move the point of impact 2 inches and dialed in 8 clicks and the impact did not move like it was supposed to, well you know where I am going.
Give me a call and we can go over some other options.

Last edited:
My money is with Schmalts, Ben, And Buzz. . .what they say is good enough for me. Great info here guys and I'm not even in the market for a new scope!

Have you tried Predator Optics?

I did, a-hole. Bought a scope from you back in December. But last I checked you don't have your own line of LR scopes for $300. SWFA does.

I don't mind supporting your business when I can, but if you're going to jump on someone every time they mention a product you don't carry, I'll find someone else to send my money to real quick.

Bellydeep sorry if my sarcasm came out the wrong way it was not aimed at you:(. I was not jumping on anyone and was only trying to remind others to check with me on prices before shopping other outlets. You did not mention any LR products that SWFA markets in your post. Anyone who has dealt much with me would say I have often steered others to brands I do not even deal in at times if it is a better fit.

Last edited:
Me too...and no phone required.;)

IMG_4869.JPG

This is pretty much what my Mil-dot scopes look like. I just need to find a better packaging tape that keeps water out better:D I cheat too, when I get above a certain amount of clicks I then go to a lower number and then use the first Mil-dot instead of the center crosshairs.

The Leupold VX-2 scopes are a lot for the money. Especially the 4-12 AO. Mine have the CDS instead of the M1 simply because I hunt mine and like the lower profile of the CDS. Mine are also marked in MOA instead of yardage. Great setups for what they cost. As has been said, verify trajectory in the field. mtmuley

My Sierra Infinity prints a chart that is pretty small. Mine are calibrated every 25 yards out to 1000 and are smaller than what Buzz showed. I laminate then tape like jryoung posted. mtmuley

Randy, is this scope going on that $300 Ruger?

No I put a K6 on that American, and am very happy with that combo. No way I'd consider that a 500 yard gun though. This scope will go on my ruger mkII in 7mag.

I ended up getting a really good deal on a Minox ZA5.

Lots of great input in the thread, thanks guys.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back