500 yard scope for $300

----

I'm trying to get a "long range" setup on the cheap. I already have a rifle that shoots way better than I do, and need to get a scope to hopefully get me straight out to 500 yards. If you had 300 bucks to make this happen, what would your choice be?

This is what I've got eye balled now, but I'm open for anything.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006P...5_QL70#ref=mp_s_a_1_10&qid=1391619375&sr=8-10

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001E...4fX27kq/NA6QGkbIYJSx9ZO7fnezoPRoPoP1JREH/2Q==

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000M...165_QL70#ref=mp_s_a_1_5&qid=1391620044&sr=8-5

What do you have right now?

For starters, I'd stay right the hell away from any multiplex type scopes. Nothing worse than a cluttered up scope, and I've yet to see one "work" that well.

I won a nikon BDC a few years back...tried it on several rifles and it sucks some major azz.

Last edited:
Good advice...but if you're sending the scope in, forget the cds and go M1...dual erector spring as well.

A bushnell 3200 3-9. The glass is acceptable but the reticle is not what I want at all. I'm also a scope short so it's either upgrade this gun or buy a different one for my wife.

I have a vortex diamondback 4-12 with their BDC without AO. If you go that route, DEFINITELY spend the extra $99 and get the parallax adjustment. I regretted not getting it. It got pretty blurry past 300 yards. Great scope for the money.

I also have a Vortex Viper HS 4-16 with AO and their traditional crosshairs (V-Plex). This scope has my vote, but you will be looking at closer to $480 brand new. I don't like a cluttered field of view, I used the wrong drop line once in a rushed situation, like an idiot, so I like the traditional crosshairs. If your wanting to start shooting further your obviously going to be dialing anyways.

If you are dead set on $300 go with that Diamondback or look at some of the Leupolds. I have heard good things about them as well.

I have pushed a VX-II 3-9X40 to 600yds. As far as a scope for 500yds goes... If you're not going to dial turrets, just about anything will work well. For hunting and Target shooting, I consider a minimum of 1X/100yds. IE a 3-9X magnification wise is solid to about 900yds. If you have the choice, drop to a 3-9 for 500yds and bump up a grade in glass if you can. I have shot coyotes out to 500yds on a 3-9 and Prairie dogs out past 400 with the same magnification.

If you can, most ballistic reticules will work well enough at 500yds that you can avoid clicking dials out.

Just my $.02

I'd strongly suggest getting in touch with Schmalts regarding a leupold, and maybe bump your budget by $75-$100. Think 3-9x40 and VXII...and a quick trip to leupold.

You'd be pretty happy with something like this, and you'd fly past 500 yards...with ease.

IMG_4958.JPG

Last edited:
What Buzz said, as usual. I'd save up the extra cash for the VX-2 in 4.5x12.

I've got the VXI 4-12 and love it. It's been on a .300 wm and a 338 wm and has had enough rounds pass under it to know that it would give up the ghost under recoil. It's performed well.

I also have the diamondback and wouldn't buy one. There is a lot of chromatic aberration and like others have said, it gets blurry. Mine is the 6-25x50 w/ the Adjustable Objective. I'm not impressed. Maybe it's just that magnification, but I'd go with the Leupold first and the Burris second.

I also think you can get away with a used VX3 in 3/5x10. Spend the extra money on the M1 turrets or ammo for practice.

I have a Bushnell Trophy XLT 6-18x50 scope on my 25-06. It's got the adjustable objective. I have no problem reaching out to 500 yards with it. I'm happy with the glass quality and light transmission at low light.

Last edited:
I bought a demo 3-9x40 Zeiss with hunting turrets from Cameraland last year for under $300.

I haven't tried it at 500 yards yet, but it does well at 300.

If you plan on hunting with this rig then I'd suggest keeping you max magnification to 14X or 15X only because I find myself hunting and shooting at animals on the lowest setting of my scope. Too much magnification at a short range can ruin an otherwise easy shot.

Punching paper, I'd opt for a 20-24X max zoom. $300 likely won't get you what you really want in terms of optic clarity.

Randy,

If all you want to do is upgrade your scope...then there are many options, these guys are giving great advice.

But, if your goal is to stretch your effective range to 500+...a new scope without an elevation turret is only going to gain you some clarity and a different reticle. A multiplex scope is going to make you put the bushnell back on...and find some sucker to sell it to.

Take it from someone thats been down the road of "kentucky windage" and the hold-over game....its for amateurs and folk that dont know any better.

There is NO substitute, nor better way, to get you to 500+ than with a turret. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING trumps being able to spin your chit, and hold dead on the target.

Anything else, you're "guessing" during crunch time and thats a sure loser...nearly every time.

I prefer to control the things I can, and not using the holdover method is one of those things. Its easy and cheap to get there...

Last edited:
I bought a demo 3-9x40 Zeiss with hunting turrets from Cameraland last year for under $300.

I haven't tried it at 500 yards yet, but it does well at 300.

I'm a liar. For some reason $275 was stuck in my head, but I paid $429.

Must have told the old lady it was $275...

So ballpark, what does Leupold get for adding a turret? I've got an older VX-II I would like to get one added too. I've looked at some of the aftermarket ones too, but I like the idea of having one factory installed by Leupold.

I have the Leupold 4-12 boone & crockett scope and it has been a great scope. It's on my 338 ultra mag and I'm dialed in out to 550 yards.

Back