500 yard scope for $300

Where would I find an aftermarket turret?

Kenton Industries sells them and they are supposed to be pretty good, but they are pricey. I guess I'd rather put that money towards a new scope with turrets than an after market turret. Stony Point sells some also for the coin slot adjustments on the VX-II but the reviews aren't very good.

So ballpark, what does Leupold get for adding a turret? I've got an older VX-II I would like to get one added too. I've looked at some of the aftermarket ones too, but I like the idea of having one factory installed by Leupold.

$60 each for elevation and windage is what I paid last time.

For a hunting rifle, I'd go with the elevation turret only, skip the windage turret.

IIRC, the dual erector spring assembly was $25.

Call Leupold...they're very helpful, prompt, and flat get it done.

Turrets are $100 from most everybody.
You can buy stickers from custom turret systems for $20
You can have a neighbor kid with a cad program make one for the same money.

I bought the cts labels, then made my own.
I prefer to range, dial, shoot vs range, get out the phone and push buttons, then dial and shoot. Turrets are the way to go as Buzz has mentioned.

Last edited:
I prefer to range, dial, shoot vs range, get out the phone and push buttons, then dial and shoot. Turrets are the way to go as Buzz has mentioned.

Me too...and no phone required.;)

IMG_4869.JPG

I don't disagree with dialing for range. On a VX-II Leupold. Like Buzz said. Its probably best to have Leupold put in the upgraded springs. The dual erector spring set will help insure reliability and accuracy in the elevation turret. There would be nothing more frustrating on your hunt that inaccurate turrets.

Whatever you decide to do, Shoot it on paper at 500yds and make 100% certain that it works the way you think it will before your hunt. Verify if the turrets are calibrated for .25MOA or .25"/Hundred yards (they are not necessarily interchangeable). And use it to help build a true 500 yard dope for the rifle.

I don't disagree with dialing for range. On a VX-II Leupold. Like Buzz said. Its probably best to have Leupold put in the upgraded springs. The dual erector spring set will help insure reliability and accuracy in the elevation turret. There would be nothing more frustrating on your hunt that inaccurate turrets.

Whatever you decide to do, Shoot it on paper at 500yds and make 100% certain that it works the way you think it will before your hunt. Verify if the turrets are calibrated for .25MOA or .25"/Hundred yards (they are not necessarily interchangeable). And use it to help build a true 500 yard dope for the rifle.

If you dont shoot the rifle at all ranges, while dialing your adjusments, you shouldnt be allowed to own a scope with a turret, or a rifle.

Making sure they track is an absolute must.

Lots of great information on here guys, I appreciate it.

This is a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 that I got when camerlandny had them for $249 (normally $400+). Rather than pay $100 to have a turret made, I did this myself. This way, if I ever change my load, I don't have to get a brand new turret...just make a new tape. It's good out to 725...could go farther if I raised the scope up 10-20 MOA.

Attachments

• IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 286
All this hate on multi-plex. I rather enjoy mine, but I do wish the crosshairs were a little finer.

Zeiss-Conquest-4.5-14x44-RapidZ800Reticle.jpg

Buzz- what does the dual erector spring due for the scope?

More rugged, prevents system backlash, better tracking control, and increases holding force on the erector...

I have 2 without and 1 with the dual erector. I've had no problem with either, but if/when I send in any more leupolds, for the 25 extra clams...its really a no brainer.

Buzz- what does the dual erector spring due for the scope?
The short version as I understand it is... It adds an additional spring to help tension and balance the tension applied to the erector tube to help promote smooth, consistent, accurate, and repeatable performance on the turrets. Especially helpful when regularly using the top or bottom 10-15% of turret travel. Helps prevent the elevation dial from randomly adding windage at the extreme top and bottom of the turret.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my understanding...

I went through the same thing last year Randy. I bought a 3-9 VX-II from Schmalts and then sent it right in to Leupold to get the M1 elevation turret and dual erector springs. It was $90 for the turret and 40 (I think) for the erector spring. All total I had $470 into the scope.

Back