Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

300 prc for baited bear

king13

I’m curious what everyone thinks of a 300 prc for a bear over bait. Is that a little to close for any reason?

Very hard to be over gunned on a bear. People do not give them credit.

Its the bait thing for me.

I shot a little bear with a 300 WSM at 30 yards this year. I felt a bit over gunned. Dead is dead I guess, and bears are in fact VERY tough.

Not over gunned in my opinion. Certain parts of certain states, you're only allowed to use slugs for deer. Most slugs are like 1oz which is 437 grains...

You can't over kill a bear, unless you're blowing a hole in it with a cannon. Just make a good shot and avoid the shoulder, and you won't make a mess of it.

Alberta bear guide:

"Lung shot equals dead bear. Shoulder shot might equal dead bear, after a long difficult tracking job. Don't shoot one in the shoulder!"

1705331443374.jpeg

Attachments

• 1705331534210.jpeg
    1705331534210.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 36
  • 1705331603658.jpeg
    1705331603658.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 32
My favourite shot on a bear is quartering too or away where you can break one of the shoulders. This usually causes them to drop and roll around so you have time to get ready for a second shot as they get back up. Almost any gun will kill a bear over bait you’ll probably be shooting 30 yards. Bears I find die quicker with a lung shot then deer do

Im no expert but have taken 3 in Pa with a bow and helped several guys track them you want to take out the lungs for sure they don't go to far with a dbl lung shot all mine were within 50 yrds but the lungs are back further than a deer.
It seems like they run until they die and don't stop they can't run far with no air

Hairiest situation I've been in while tracking a bear involved a guy shooting one from 20 yards away. He was sitting on a 5 gallon bucket and shot it with a 30-06. That track job ended with a wounded bear charging us and being shot with handguns...

Easiest one was one shot with a bow. Double lung, went about 50 yards. So just make a good shot and you'll be golden!

300 prc is a lot of gun for bait, I would use something else if I had an option too.
How so? Is a .300 WM too much? How about a .338? Is a 7 RM too much gun?

I think bullet construction and placement matter way more than headstamp.

To the OP, let ‘er rip tater chip. Put a good bullet in the moneymaker and make it happen! You’ll be fine if you do.

How so? Is a .300 WM too much? How about a .338? Is a 7 RM too much gun?

I think bullet construction and placement matter way more than headstamp.

To the OP, let ‘er rip tater chip. Put a good bullet in the moneymaker and make it happen! You’ll be fine if you do.
Fair i guess. Its not like it wont work.

300 prc (212 eldxs) blew a major 4" exit in deer, antelope, and bear i shot with it at 250 ish. I would use a 190 cx or other tough bullet to not ruin the hide.

To quote a poetic friend, no matter what they say I done, I ain't never brought too much gun

I also have a hunt coming up for baited bear and I hear aim for middle of the middle? Is thier lungs smaller than a whitetail?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back