PEAX Equipment

30-06 for elk

My cousin shoots a 06 with 150 grain nozzler ballistic tips and has killed elk out to 330 yards

The .30-06 is still my favorite. At 5' 4", I'm not a big guy but I can comfortably shoot the .30-06 in hours long sessions without flinching. I keep several thousand rounds in many different loadings for different purposes from target to varmints, medium and big game.

For elk, I like heavy bullets. The Nosler 220 grain round nose in .30-06 works like a medicine ball on elk. At the relatively short ranges I usually shoot, they are consistent bone crushers with near perfect mushrooming and retention. My second favorite is the 200 gr. Nosler round nose. I know, spitzer-spire points are favored for long range, but from what I've seen, the RN's work beautifully for one shot kills in the timber.

I've also taken many elk with 180 and 200 grain Nosler Partition handloads, both with excellent results. But, from what I've seen, the Partitions are more prone to coming apart than the Nosler round nose.

For deer and pronghorn I've used Nosler 125 BT, 150 BT, 180BT, and 150, 165 and 180 Partition. I prefer the Partitions as they produce less meat damage and usually pass through leaving a blood trail. The 110 gr. roundnose would probably work well on medium game too. Good shot placement is key, of course. It's hard to beat .30-06 for economy, availability, and versatility.

Two elk this year at about 320 yards. 165 GR Acubond out of the a .308. Bull took one behind the shoulder, cow took hers at the base of the skull (looking away). Bull took a couple steps, cow dropped in her tracks. No reason an '06 shooting the same bullet wouldn't do the same or better.

30-06

I'm a gun junkie. This year my '06 was in rotation.
Speedgoat @ 300 yards
Elk @ 360 yards.

Dink are you sure you don't have any kids. :D That's just par for the course. That really happens with them. Imagine dad,dad,dad,dad,dad,dad,dad, until you finally say what!

Sorry to get off subject back to " the bigger the better" caliber advice.

I've hunted with my RUM for 12 years now, and I don't have either of the things elkwhisper mentioned. Hunted with an '06 before that though. Maybe guys with little peckers just can't shoot a RUM. mtmuley

The 415 yards shot that I made on a doe antelope with 165 grain core lokts is my longest shot that I have made with any caliber, I use the 165 because it shoots well in my rifle and I see no need in shooting any other grain bullet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back