Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

30-06 for elk

Great caliber, lots of great ammo available, easily out to 300 yards...more with practice! I know lots of guys who hunt with them, including my son with his Tikka. Plan a trip to Colorado now! ;)

I own a Ruger 30-06 and have taken a number of Antelope, Deer, and Elk with it. As sbhooper stated, "It will kill them as far as you can ethically shoot one with the right bullet". I personally prefer to sight my gun in 2 inches high at 100 yards with a 180 grain bullet. Over the years I have considered purchasing a new gun (300), but I just know where and how to shoot this gun. Can't explain it, I just know in my mind where to hold on an animal at various distances.

If shooting a 30-06, I would just choose one grain weight and stick with it. I know a friend who prefers 165 grain. I prefer 180 grain.

Good luck, you won't be disappointed.

I have shot an 06' since I was 14, so 28 years. I've always been a gun junky and have thought hundreds of times about getting a different caliber... but just never do. For quite a while now I've been shooting 168 gr Barnes and haven't had any animal think they were tougher than it.

With a good bullet, and a straight shooter, it will kill elk at any range you can hit them in the lungs at.

A big magnum, with like 200+ grain, well constructed bullets, would be the cats ass, cause you could drive a barnes TSX clean through an elk at any angle... but I've just never made the move.

My Son and I both use 30-06 so we will have the same ammo. His favors Federal Premium 165 gr Partition and mine favors 165 gr Nosler Accubonds, but both will shoot either. I killed my bull this year with the Accubond.

wbvurq.jpg

The left was the killing shot, the right was an insurance finisher.

hey man, the .06 is a slayin machine and great weapon to have in your arsenal. Range = 300 yds.
I have a Ruger in stainless / sythentic. I shoot 180 grain Nosler P's.

Taking a 30-06 hunting is always a righteous decision.

I feel perfectly comfortable with a 30-06 and elk, or anything in North America.

That chambering has killed about a bajillion elk in the last 106 years.

My son tipped his first elk over this year with a down-loaded 30-06 and a 150 grain partition at 2700 fps muzzle velocity. One shot through the chest = dead elk.

DSCF0708.jpg

Last edited:
This years elk was my first rifle elk not using my 06. Up to that point 12 have died using it and with great results only a couple took multiple shots. I shoot the 165 core lokts out of it and have had great results. Many will say you need a bigger caliber or this bullet or that but find one that shoots well and you will kill elk with it. It will kill elk out to as far as you are acccurate plenty of poop as long as you hit them in right spot.
The nice thing is that you can get bullets anywhere and try many options if you like.

The only thing I have shot with a 30-06 is my bear I got this year and it worked great.The -06 has got to be one of the best most versital calibers out there.People shoot a long ways with 308 s so the 06 with more powder cap should do even better.I dont think 400yds is out of the question.

I love my 30-06. It has killed elk and deer and antelope. My buddy loads bullets for me and with Hornady Superformance powder we're getting 300 win mag ballistics out of it without killing my shoulder. I tip them with 180 grain Hornady SST's. My cow elk was killed at 375ish yards and she tipped over dead in her tracks.

I love the 30-06. I bought one for my wife, and load it with 150 grain Barnes X. Oftentimes I steal it from the gun cabinet. Great caliber.

.30-06 has been killing herds of elk for years.

Its ethical range depends more on the gun, load, and shooter than anything.

Your garden variety '06 is fully capable out to 400 yards or so. After that the bullets start dropping so fast you need some turrets. A ballistic reticle properly matched to the load could get you to 500.

A tuned up, tactical/long range style '06 can double that distance.

Sadly, most shooters are only good to about 250-300.

.30-06 has been killing herds of elk for years.

Its ethical range depends more on the gun, load, and shooter than anything.

Your garden variety '06 is fully capable out to 400 yards or so. After that the bullets start dropping so fast you need some turrets. A ballistic reticle properly matched to the load could get you to 500.

A tuned up, tactical/long range style '06 can double that distance.

Sadly, most shooters are only good to about 250-300.

Why do you say "sadly"? That is called "ethical" when you get within a decent range of the animal you are after.

Why do you say "sadly"? That is called "ethical" when you get within a decent range of the animal you are after.

Because they all seem to think their effective range is 500 yards

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back