Caribou Gear Tarp

26 Nosler

Not as much when you can just dial it in before you leave the trailhead with an exposed turret, which I'm guessing is what pointer is getting at. If I want to zero my rifles at 300 at any moment, I just dial to 1.1 mils and presto.
This! With a non-exposed turret it makes a bit more sense to me. But, an exposed turret, coupled with me not being all that comfortable with a roughly 3.5" high mid range high point, I'm just curious.

Congrats! Curious as to why such a long zero range since you have an exposed elevation turreted scope?

Like Muley said, the 300 zero with this cartridge basically gives me point blank from 50 to 450 for medium to large game, with just very slight holds over or under. The HSLR has Vortex's super simple dead hold BDC as an option to the turret for elevation in those circumstances. Gives me plenty of flexibility under hunting pressure. The exposed turret will come into play on longer or more precise shots.

Like Muley said, the 300 zero with this cartridge basically gives me point blank from 50 to 450 for medium to large game, with just very slight holds over or under. The HSLR has Vortex's super simple dead hold BDC as an option to the turret for elevation in those circumstances. Gives me plenty of flexibility under hunting pressure. The exposed turret will come into play on longer or more precise shots.

Yep. I don't have to dial till yardages pass 500 or so. The benefit of a flat shooter. mtmuley

Yep. I don't have to dial till yardages pass 500 or so. The benefit of a flat shooter. mtmuley
But you did dial to 300, you just did it before capping the turret, then called it zero. Hence the question of why someone would set up a 300 yd zero on a scope with an exposed turret and limit flexibility. It's not crazy by any means, it's just not the common method for that equipment.

But you did dial to 300, you just did it before capping the turret, then called it zero. Hence the question of why someone would set up a 300 yd zero on a scope with an exposed turret and limit flexibility. It's not crazy by any means, it's just not the common method for that equipment.

I don't see it as limiting flexibility at all. In fact, I see it as increasing it by a wide margin. Plus increasing shot confidence and decreasing adjustments pressure in the field. I have really no adjustments to make whatsoever until I'm past 450. If I engage past 450 I have some very simple turret dope to do it. I don't know what's more flexible than that.....

I don't see it as limiting flexibility at all. In fact, I see it as increasing it by a wide margin. Plus increasing shot confidence and decreasing adjustments pressure in the field. I have really no adjustments to make whatsoever until I'm past 450. If I engage past 450 I have some very simple turret dope to do it. I don't know what's more flexible than that.....

Exactly. I've been doing it this way for years. If I used a cartridge that had more drop, I'd probably do it differently. Not having to touch a turret until yardages really stretch is extremely flexible. mtmuley

I can see your point, sounds like it will work well for you.

I can understand that rationale. But, not saying I'd follow that practice... ;) But, if it works for you keep rocking on. I was just curious about it.

I can understand that rationale. But, not saying I'd follow that practice... ;) But, if it works for you keep rocking on. I was just curious about it.

It works well providing you know your rifle's ballistics inside and out. I have a drop chart on my stock with corrections based on my zero just like if I was zeroed at 100. I just get a head start. As I said, it works well for me and the cartridge I hunt most with. I've killed critters out there a ways. mtmuley

I agree with MT especially with a flat shooting rifle like the 26 Nosler. I tend to run a 250 yard zero though.

I agree with MT especially with a flat shooting rifle like the 26 Nosler. I tend to run a 250 yard zero though.

And from what I can gather on a few hunting sites, the majority of hunters aren't comfy with shooting game beyond about 300 to 350 yards. Easily done without a turret using popular cartridges. mtmuley

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back