Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2024 Turkey Season!

Our first period opened yesterday. It was very windy and rainy. All I saw was one hen who came into my decoys three times about 30 min apart and she would cluck like crazy like she was wondering what are these other birds doing out in the field when the weather is so poor, trying to tell them they need to get back to cover.

Nice, quiet, and overcast this morning. I walked under a few roosted on my way in, and as the sun came up a single hen came into my decoys then she hung around on my right side at 5 yards. Then two hens came in from my left location. All three started clucking like mad at each other. Then the tom came in from the left, all fanned out looking for trouble. Not a single gobble out of him, but he came in close. It was hard to move and not get busted by the bird on my right. I was fortunate enough to take him home with me and I was back to work before most of people I work with started their day. He had a 12" beard and 1.5" spurs. Perfect way to start the WI season off.

20240418_063438.jpg20240418_064602.jpg

Our first period opened yesterday. It was very windy and rainy. All I saw was one hen who came into my decoys three times about 30 min apart and she would cluck like crazy like she was wondering what are these other birds doing out in the field when the weather is so poor, trying to tell them they need to get back to cover.

Nice, quiet, and overcast this morning. I walked under a few roosted on my way in, and as the sun came up a single hen came into my decoys then she hung around on my right side at 5 yards. Then two hens came in from my left location. All three started clucking like mad at each other. Then the tom came in from the left, all fanned out looking for trouble. Not a single gobble out of him, but he came in close. It was hard to move and not get busted by the bird on my right. I was fortunate enough to take him home with me and I was back to work before most of people I work with started their day. He had a 12" beard and 1.5" spurs. Perfect way to start the WI season off.

View attachment 323327View attachment 323328
Thats awesome.
How about a picture of the beard and spurs?

Going out tomorrow morning,a spot on the property and know where they are coming from.Did my scouting last weekend.I usually get 2 a year and my husband is happy with that

Been out once; things were very quiet and the birds I did hear seemed uninterested in responding. Lots of people out also; people tracks everywhere I tried which used to not be the norm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back