Caribou Gear Tarp

2024 Turkey Season!

Did not draw a tag, nor did my kids. Hope to make a silk purse out of some crappy late season leftover tags. And the cherry on top is my sister in law scheduling her kid’s birthday party during youth season.

Good luck to all!

Mississippi, NC, VA, MD.
Can’t afford to shoot too much TSS at paper. Licenses and gas cost too much. Did plenty of paper shooting a couple of years ago. If the sub gauges fail me I’ll put them back on the shelf. I was gifted a pile of 3 1/2” 12 ga lead a year ago from a buddy who’s Dad who had passed away. And my cache of 10 gauge #5’s are holding strong…wish the damn gun was lighter!

I’ve bought my permethrin and some new Kluk diaphragms. The Lite Boots from last year will be in the line up as well as a new pair of brown Xtratuffs. New pair of bibs inbound from Mossy Oak.

Ready.

With the mild winter The turkeys have been scattered and not nearly as grouped up. We are still seeing flocks of 10-12 birds but not 30-40 birds per flock as some years. I’ve begun my spring scouting which includes listening for gobbles, and noting when and where I see birds. Our first season is early this year April 8-11. I’ve been wanting to pull the trigger on a .410 but the fact that my 12 gauge kills birds just fine, I have enough turkey loads for a few years, the price of the .410 ammo and I need to save my money for a big fall have kept me from buying one.
A few pictures from last year
1709123831245.jpeg

I've got 3 tags in Illinois. One I will hunt with a buddy and one I will hunt with my dad and one I will hunt by myself. I'd love to go 3 for 3, but I'll be honest, I just want to be involved in at least 1 turkey flopping. It seems like I go about 4-5 years between harvesting a turkey.

At $50/# I put about $5 of shot into each 20ga shell. .410 is half that. The solid brass shells and loading tool were around $100, but they're reusable indefinitely. Buying wads, etc was a lifetime supply in one go. So, startup was high. I only ever need to buy shot, primers and powder from now on.

First year for a one bird only season for all of Kansas. I’m really looking forward to be mentoring with Outdoor Mentors (https://outdoormentors.org/) getting some youth out for gobbling adventures. We are active in Kansas, Wisconsin and Iowa for outdoors activities with plans for more states to be added soon.

Being the trigger man is not really important to me. Hearing and watching turkeys, and getting to hunt turkeys for the first time in the eyes and ears of young/rookie hunters is where I find fulfillment afield.

Boring 12 gauge pump gun with Winchester XX and for the kids a bantam size Mossberg 20/Winchester XX.

First year for a one bird only season for all of Kansas. I’m really looking forward to be mentoring with Outdoor Mentors (https://outdoormentors.org/) getting some youth out for gobbling adventures. We are active in Kansas, Wisconsin and Iowa for outdoors activities with plans for more states to be added soon.

Being the trigger man is not really important to me. Hearing and watching turkeys, and getting to hunt turkeys for the first time in the eyes and ears of young/rookie hunters is where I find fulfillment afield.

Boring 12 gauge pump gun with Winchester XX and for the kids a bantam size Mossberg 20/Winchester XX.
A man of my own heart. I’ll def kill some birds but mentoring especially kids is near and dear to me. Nothing better. I’ve been filming the hunts for years now. I’m no expert on professional type video but I’ve got a few cameras w WiFi and often can get a rough copy into their phone as we’re still on the mountain. Something you may wanna consider. Adds to it all and filming turkey hunts is pretty easy

I’ll be starting in my home state than NY. First full week of May headed to New England starting in one state with the possibility of bouncing up others.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back