MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2023 wheels up in 5,4,3,2,1....

44hunter45

Who is going where and when?

I have a shakedown backpack trip this weekend in Washington's Alpine Lakes Wilderness with my middle son. Rumor is the rainbows will fight over your flies.

Coming home I will make some gear adjustments and then take a week looking for a farm fed cow elk in Idaho.

August 26 I get on the big plane to SEAK for a week in the alpine and another week chasing Silvers with my youngest son. Its a long overdue father son trip.

Starting with the Idaho October rifle deer opener, I will be out with my granddaughter, Miss T.
New rifle, new attitude, she will punch that first tag this year! She says if she punches her deer tag, she will think about a B Elk tag.

Anticipating a good grouse year starting in September. I haven't shot my bow much this year, but will get in a half dozen arrows a night until I'm good for Archery elk. After my target time, I take off all but one pin and that's my range limit. 30 yards or less. I hope to get a couple of buddy hunts in with my calling partner.

Work will limit me to tree stands behind the house after Halloween. Me and Miss T up in the double wide.

Still have turkey tags...

The year finishes out with evening muzzle loader elk hunts after work in December.

1. Sheep hunt #1 fly out Aug 8th, no high hopes of seeing many sheep. Population is down considerably, likely just a camping trip.
  2. A "caribou" hunt with the kids, end of August has turned into a bear and grouse hunt. Caribou was closed by emergency order due to lack of caribou...
  3. Sheep hunt #2, wife has a great tag here close to town. Walking in first week of of September, have a spot figured and a back up spot lined up. Have high hopes for a whopper, but will earn it.
  4. Taking the kids on a moose hunt in late September.
  5. A couple short bear hunts Sept/Oct
  6. Keeping my options open for a quick deer hunt in SE in October/November

Archery antelope with my cousin and a couple buddies mid August.

Chasing Silvers third week of September on POW.

A week on the Middle Fork in the Frank Church mid October fishing, chasing chuckar, and most importantly trying to find a good ram for my buddy to shoot.

End of October first of November shooting pheasants in South Dakota.

November rifle bull tag on the "48 parallel" with same buddies I hunted antelope with.

Mid November mule deer hunt with my 12 yr old daughter for her first big game hunt.

Hoping to find another decent WT buck here in North Idaho late November.

Chasing birds with the dog every chance I get between everything else until the end of January.

sept 2-4 MT elk hunting
sept 6-10 alaska fishing trip with BIL, not sure exactly what all we're fishing for, i think halibut...
sept 15-17 chasing elk - follow up on first weekend plans
sept 21-24 chasing elk and/or MOOSE
sept 30- oct 3 - idaho rifle elk hunt
oct 6 - last chance elk hunt either idaho or MT
oct 7-9 MT moose hunt
oct 12-15 - MT moose hunt still
oct 21-22 - kids deer hunt
oct 25-29 - Mt moose or ID moose w/ different buddy, or other plans.
Nov. - find a muley buck, ease back into the real world

I think these dates are planned as worst case. ideally we're done hunting MT elk by the 21st and can start scouting/hunting for my buddy's MT moose. Idaho, i'm confident in finding a 6-pt bull in 3 hunting days, but here's what will most likely happen -
sept 2-4 MT elk hunting "didn't see anything but it's ok, we have plenty of time"
sept 6-10 alaska fishing trip with BIL, regret signing up and just daydream about elk/moose
sept 15-17 chasing elk beating my head against a tree feeling the pressure...
sept 21-24 pure panic get overly aggressive screw everything up
sept 30- oct 3 - idaho rifle elk hunt - see nothing curl into a ball and cry
oct 6 - work
oct 7-9 MT moose hunt while thinking about going to idaho
oct 12-15 - MT moose hunt still stop buddy from shooting a 2yo bull
oct 21-22 - kids deer hunt turns to chaos, get out to forsyth and girls decide they don't want to kill any deeries. buddy kills aforementioned 2you bull moose, antelope party all kill monster antelope
oct 25-29 - run through the pumkin patch ducking bullets trying to panic find elk miss out on other buddies idaho moose hunt because i need meat in the freezer
Nov. - get on anti-depressants to cope with the shit-show season.

sept 2-4 MT elk hunting
sept 6-10 alaska fishing trip with BIL, not sure exactly what all we're fishing for, i think halibut...
sept 15-17 chasing elk - follow up on first weekend plans
sept 21-24 chasing elk and/or MOOSE
sept 30- oct 3 - idaho rifle elk hunt
oct 6 - last chance elk hunt either idaho or MT
oct 7-9 MT moose hunt
oct 12-15 - MT moose hunt still
oct 21-22 - kids deer hunt
oct 25-29 - Mt moose or ID moose w/ different buddy, or other plans.
Nov. - find a muley buck, ease back into the real world

I think these dates are planned as worst case. ideally we're done hunting MT elk by the 21st and can start scouting/hunting for my buddy's MT moose. Idaho, i'm confident in finding a 6-pt bull in 3 hunting days, but here's what will most likely happen -
sept 2-4 MT elk hunting "didn't see anything but it's ok, we have plenty of time"
sept 6-10 alaska fishing trip with BIL, regret signing up and just daydream about elk/moose
sept 15-17 chasing elk beating my head against a tree feeling the pressure...
sept 21-24 pure panic get overly aggressive screw everything up
sept 30- oct 3 - idaho rifle elk hunt - see nothing curl into a ball and cry
oct 6 - work
oct 7-9 MT moose hunt while thinking about going to idaho
oct 12-15 - MT moose hunt still stop buddy from shooting a 2yo bull
oct 21-22 - kids deer hunt turns to chaos, get out to forsyth and girls decide they don't want to kill any deeries. buddy kills aforementioned 2you bull moose, antelope party all kill monster antelope
oct 25-29 - run through the pumkin patch ducking bullets trying to panic find elk miss out on other buddies idaho moose hunt because i need meat in the freezer
Nov. - get on anti-depressants to cope with the shit-show season.
I nearly had a panic attack reading this

1. Sheep hunt #1 fly out Aug 8th, no high hopes of seeing many sheep. Population is down considerably, likely just a camping trip.
  2. A "caribou" hunt with the kids, end of August has turned into a bear and grouse hunt. Caribou was closed by emergency order due to lack of caribou...
  3. Sheep hunt #2, wife has a great tag here close to town. Walking in first week of of September, have a spot figured and a back up spot lined up. Have high hopes for a whopper, but will earn it.
  4. Taking the kids on a moose hunt in late September.
  5. A couple short bear hunts Sept/Oct
  6. Keeping my options open for a quick deer hunt in SE in October/November
Your wife isn't going to attempt to fill that elk tag?

I'm taking a leave of absence from work and have two solid months of shenanigans including archery elk, rock climbing, surfing, more rock climbing, and pheasant hunting. Probably lots of tasty grouse in there as well.

View attachment 286319
View attachment 286320
I like this schedule even more when I imagine that it's your own wedding, in Aspen. Honeymoon in the timber?! 😅

Hanging right here in MT for me. Big one is trying to find those elusive round horned animals in the big country of the Beartooths. Other than that, I’ll probably fish a bunch after work in September when the crowds dwindle and the fishing gets good again. I’ll devote at least a few days of trying to call in elk with a bow in hand. Plenty of after work grouse to be had at a specific spot that only works until the berries drop. Would like to finally shoot a nice whitetail during rifle season this fall. Also hoping to get an early 2024 AZ javelina tag this year for my first real out of state NR hunting experience. I think it’d be a fun break from the winter blues. Neither my GF or I have points so I doubt we’ll be booking flights to Tucson though.

Back