Caribou Gear Tarp

2018 Wyoming Non-resident Application Booklet now online

Thanks for the reminder. I really, really want to hunt a bull for the first time so I am up for $707 but I'd take any input on a place to put in for with only 1 PP. Next year is my 40th and time's ticking!

I'll just assume that my $1057 includes a written trophy bull guarantee and a $500 credit voucher to the taxidermist of my choice.

So I'm always wondering... why does Wyoming make bear hunting so hard to figure out? It's not on the hunt planner nor in this booklet telling us when we need to apply and how much it costs; it has it's own weird, random, outdated site within the Fish and Game website. It's like they don't really want people to be figuring it out or something... what's the deal with that?

Well, for starters, the app booklet is primarily for the nr Elk draw since all other species dates and quotas haven't been set by the time that draw closes. If you want to understand a particular species, go to the regulations section of the web site. It's populated with the current info, will be updated with tentative info, then populated with new info after it's signed off early May.

ps; chapter 3 is the Bear section,, they're "trophy game"

Last edited:
I'm torn on my plans for next year. I think I'll hold off on elk in Wyo for another couple years as I have some others options for elk hunts. Mule deer is the one that's really tugging on my strings. Last winter concerns me, and I'm pretty sure the hunting won't be great in G/H for a few years. So.....I have no idea what to do.....

Yep, like $226 more than that with the fee increase for 2018 plus the $15 nonrefundable application fee!
At this point what does it matter, I'll just send em a blank check. Or would electronic access to my checking account be easier?

I'm torn on my plans for next year. I think I'll hold off on elk in Wyo for another couple years as I have some others options for elk hunts. Mule deer is the one that's really tugging on my strings. Last winter concerns me, and I'm pretty sure the hunting won't be great in G/H for a few years. So.....I have no idea what to do.....

Wait until you see how this winter is down in G and if it's not a bad one I'd apply for G in late May before the 5/31 deadline if you have enough PPs. From all indications from the guys that scouted G and hunted it last year there are still plenty of good bucks to be had and the longer you wait another bad winter could hit and really knock them for a loop.

Wait until you see how this winter is down in G and if it's not a bad one I'd apply for G in late May before the 5/31 deadline if you have enough PPs. From all indications from the guys that scouted G and hunted it last year there are still plenty of good bucks to be had and the longer you wait another bad winter could hit and really knock them for a loop.

Good to hear. I definitely have enough points to draw G unless it takes a major jump. Thanks for the advice!

Can't speak for the "golden years" of G or H, but what I saw last year and this year, you'd be a fool to think the quality took a downward twist. Quantity? Saw a lot less than usual, but there is certainly still a solid age class to be found.

So I'm always wondering... why does Wyoming make bear hunting so hard to figure out? It's not on the hunt planner nor in this booklet telling us when we need to apply and how much it costs; it has it's own weird, random, outdated site within the Fish and Game website. It's like they don't really want people to be figuring it out or something... what's the deal with that?

What is difficult about purchasing a license over the counter and go black bear hunting? There is no application and draw for black bear licenses in Wyoming, nor is there a quota for residents and nonresidents.

Black bear hunt areas are managed with a female mortality limit. The black bear season begins with an opening date in both spring and fall, and the season continues until either the female mortality limit is reached or the season closing date arrives, whichever comes first.

Sounds like you are making it way more difficult than it is.

ClearCreek

What is difficult about purchasing a license over the counter and go black bear hunting? There is no application and draw for black bear licenses in Wyoming, nor is there a quota for residents and nonresidents.

Black bear hunt areas are managed with a female mortality limit. The black bear season begins with an opening date in both spring and fall, and the season continues until either the female mortality limit is reached or the season closing date arrives, whichever comes first.

Sounds like you are making it way more difficult than it is.

ClearCreek

Making it more difficult? See I didn't even realize it was OTC. I just find it odd how obscure the info for bear hunting in Wyoming is. Particularly with how exceptional their website is.

Take this link for example: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunting-Guide

ctrl f and search bear on that page, not there. That's one of the first pages to go to on the site to start figuring out hunting species in Wyoming and bear aren't even mentioned. Does nobody else find that odd? Nor is it even mentioned in the application deadline guide posted in the OP, which maybe makes sense if you don't have to apply for most tags. But, I'm simply commenting on that as interesting.

Whether or not actually getting the tag and doing the hunt is difficult or not, or you feel I'm making it more difficult than it is is irrelevant. It's simply on oddity to me that that information is more obscure.

Last edited:
Togiegoat:

I think the reason that black bear hunting is not front and center on the website is that for most bear hunters, Wyoming is not a bear hunt destination. Wyoming seems to be an elk, antelope, deer, bighorn sheep, Shiras moose state and black bears are down the list a ways. In some areas in Wyoming, black bear hunting is improving and more and more black bears are being killed, but Wyoming will never compete with Canada or Alaska for hunters that want to take a large, trophy black bear.

When I referred to making it more difficult I meant the "getting a license" process. You can just go buy a license OTC, as you now know.

ClearCreek

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360inthe406
Back