Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2017 idaho otc archery units

Wapitiwarrior

Hey guys just looking for some pointers for some deasent otc elk hunting units in idaho. I'm looking at packing in 6-7 miles and hunting out of a base camp. I realize the best way is to get boots on the ground and scout areas out, but that's not possible for me, so it's kinda a gamble. I don't expect anyone to give away there spots, just looking for any pointers I can get. Thanks.

Here's a question...just curious and wondering for my own situation.
How do you pack in 6 or 7 miles...hunt another 2 miles deeper in and then pack a whole bull...4-5 round trips...back to your rig? That's almost 100 miles if'n it takes you 5 trips, and it ain't flat. Also it could be 95 degree days in September.

PS: I'm genuinely curious as I find that realistically miles from kill the truck is my #1 limiting factor when planning a hunt strategy

How do you pack in 6 or 7 miles...hunt another 2 miles deeper in and then pack a whole bull...4-5 round trips...back to your rig? That's almost 100 miles if'n it takes you 5 trips, and it ain't flat. Also it could be 95 degree days in September.

PS: I'm genuinely curious as I find that realistically miles from kill the truck is my #1 limiting factor when planning a hunt strategy

+1

I guess I'm lucky but I have yet to kill an elk more than 4 miles from the trailhead...and not one of those packouts were an easy task. 7 mountain miles by foot 4-5 trips would be rough.

Yeah thats defiantly somthing to consider, im hoping to find someone who has horses to pack it out for some cash. But this is all in the planning stage so thats stuff ill have to check into.

Anyone packing for cash in Idaho would have to be a licensed outfitter. Something to keep in mind.

I had pack goats and it took me a bit too do a full size 6x6 bull, Took 7 hrs w goats, 4 miles 1 way, 18 miles in 7 hrs. too get the bull out(including boning), image if you had too do that by yourself, it would easily take you 2+ days, that's a rough couple of days,
Matt

If that whats you are really looking for, there's only a few units in ID where you can get that far in and not be closer to a road on the other side. Should narrow it down a bunch.

Mike

Anyone packing for cash in Idaho would have to be a licensed outfitter. Something to keep in mind.
Guys in an elk spot I've hunted no longer hunt there as the guy packing them in wasn't. Next year I'm pretty sure the guys that rode in, stayed for one night and then left were undercover folks checking to see if he was still operating...

Say you had two weeks maximum for the round trip and planned for eight days in base camp. On the last day of planned hunting you harvest and animal that ends up in a deep rough drainage, what will you do then? I have witnessed two strong me take two days packing just to reach the top of a 400 yard deep one.

Forget about hiring someone to pack it out for reasons stated above.

Good stuff above. You don't need to get that far from the truck unless you really really want the solitude and a backcountry experience. Which is great, but for elk it's a tall order, unless you can hire a horse packer to come get it or if you have access to horses yourself. I haven't killed a bull more than 4 miles from the truck either. I reserve my further backpack hunts for mule deer, which is always a great time.

This leaves you 2 options.

1. Find a respectable licensed horse packer that you can perhaps call on a satellite phone if you kill one.
2. Rent pack goats. I own 3 pack goats. You will need 5 or more for a trip like that, preferably 6 or 7. The problem is most goat rentals run $25ish per goat per day. So if you rent 6 goats for a 7 day trip your $1,050.

But don't be discouraged either. The logistics add to the fun and it just depends on what you want and how bad you want it.

Thanks for all the input guys. But In all reality those were just figures. I'm just hoping to be pointed in the right direction as far as units go.

Thanks for all the input guys. But In all reality those were just figures. I'm just hoping to be pointed in the right direction as far as units go.
Oh I gotcha. In Idaho I'd stick to the units in the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's...but that's just one mans opinion.

Choosing a unit in Idaho is largely about choosing what kind of terrain and vegetative cover you want to hunt. Vast lodgepole forests, go to Island Park. Doug fir mountains w/ sagebrush, go to many of the central ranges. Steeper than a cow's face, go to the Salmon or the Selway. Jungle, go to the panhandle. Lots of diversity.

So does anybody have any experience with units 28 or 29? Is there deasent elk numbers there? What about hunting presure, can u get away from the crowds?

Yes, yes and yes are the answers you're looking for. Those are also the answers that you'll get when askin about most units in idaho.
The IDFG website has got awesome info. Have you spent 5 or 6 hours on there yet?

Yeah the results from last year should be up soon, if not already. Then you can see which unit had the most success with hunter to harvest percentages for each season.

Get away from hunters in 28 or 29 ??????? GOOD LUCK! And 29 is a controlled hunt via drawing!

Yes I have spent a ton of time on idaho fish an game. But statistics can make me go crazy an they don't tell me stuff like what bill zent said.

Back