Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2016 Pronghorn

maxx

This is on the list of a hunt I want to do in the near future. I am thinking Eastern WY. From the little bit of research I have done and by little I mean very little I am thinking 6, 7 or 9. That is a close drive, seems to be a good chance to get a tag, and decent access.

I really don't care what size I shoot for the first one I just want to get one. Is this a hunt I can do on my own pretty easily? My biggest concern would be safety going alone, I know my wife wont like it.

Here is one caveat I have enough vacation to do one hunt this fall. I have sent in for Kentucky Elk and New Hampshire moose. The chance of drawing these are slim to none. For the Pronghorn hunt I would have to pay for the tag before I know if I would get one of these. If by a long shot I draw one of these once in a life time hunts do you just piss the 300 bucks away on the Pronghorn tag?

The KY elk results will be out before the application deadline for Wyoming, but the NH moose draw isn't until 6/17/16. If you draw that tag, you would be out all the money you have to send WY for the pronghorn fees if you get drawn and can't go.

I'm also planning an antelope hunt, im also in the kentucky elk draw and all the new england moose draws, I won't draw any of those tags but if by some miracle i do ill eat the $300 antelope tag and be gunning for moose/ elk steaks

Hang on... I see an opportunity for a side business. For all you guys who are interested... I'll gladly insure all your pronghorn tag expenses in the event you draw a New England moose or Kentucky elk tag. $50 will get you full coverage with no deductible. :)

Here is one caveat I have enough vacation to do one hunt this fall. I have sent in for Kentucky Elk and New Hampshire moose. The chance of drawing these are slim to none. For the Pronghorn hunt I would have to pay for the tag before I know if I would get one of these. If by a long shot I draw one of these once in a life time hunts do you just piss the 300 bucks away on the Pronghorn tag?

The others have pretty much nailed the answer to 'eat the tag' if you draw the golden ticket hunts...I'll start a bidding war on insurance, though...$30 :)

I really don't care what size I shoot for the first one I just want to get one. Is this a hunt I can do on my own pretty easily? My biggest concern would be safety going alone, I know my wife wont like it.

Safety-wise, I don't think you can get much more intrinsically 'safe' than a plains antelope hunt. You'll be driving, stopping, glassing, stalking, rinse and repeat until you find the buck you're after. Much more danger of wrecking your vehicle than anything else, and it's Wyoming, so the probability of wrecking with another vehicle is really low. Getting stuck if it rains or snows is probably your biggest safety concern. Bring some tire chains and assorted other recovery gear and you should be all set.

If there's a better Western hunt to cut your teeth on, and do solo, I can't think of it. Many of the things in other western big game hunts that are problematic going solo (packing out animals, negotiating rough country, remote camps, etc) are close to non-existent for (most) antelope hunts.

6 and 9 can be drawn with a 2nd choice as Special Tag and have harvest % around 75% or better. Unless application behavior by NR change, you will draw either of those tags. Special tag is more that a Regular tag though so your potential flush amount is higher though you can keep your points if do not draw your 1st choice.

"IF" putting in for an antelope tag in Wyoming...... increases my hopes for a Kentucky elk tag... then so be it :)

good luck to all
the dog

6 and 9 can be drawn with a 2nd choice as Special Tag and have harvest % around 75% or better. Unless application behavior by NR change, you will draw either of those tags. Special tag is more that a Regular tag though so your potential flush amount is higher though you can keep your points if do not draw your 1st choice.

This is all assuming you don't already have a pp, which is probably all you need to draw. If your wife is concerned, get a delorme inreach so you can communicate with her no matter where you are. Also, these units don't put you too far away from civilization so thats a plus as far as hotels, food, etc.

Thanks for the insights. I don't have any preference points but I would really like to do this hunt. Is the thought process on the units I picked good?

I am not totally green I have elk hunted CO twice but that was with a group. I hope to learn this well so I can't take my young boys back in a few years.

I do have 8 bonus points for New Hampshire which should increase my odds to .01 percent or something like that.

My last few antelope hunts hasbeen on leftover tags and never been disappointed. I usually only hunt does.

My last few antelope hunts hasbeen on leftover tags and never been disappointed. I usually only hunt does.

I don't care if it is a big buck but I would prefer to hunt a buck. Is there a list of the last year units that had left over tags?

I want to get an idea of spots I could go if I didn't draw from the units above.

I'm in the process of planning my first Wyoming Antelope hunt as well. Thinking Unit 45 so my wife will let me go only if I "scout" out the ski resort by Centennial for our Christmas ski trip... and coming from Kansas that is only an 8.5 hour drive.

I'm with Maxx- any buck will suffice. Just want to get one.

I'll be watching this thread to learn what you all have to say and will probably start a new thread with some questions as we get closer to draw deadline

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back