2016 Gear Review. One thing that worked for you, and one that disappointed.

Not much new this year other than the used Nissan Titan I bought. Performed excellent on the trip to Colorado and back.

I'm pretty sure he tried the one labeled "Colon Blow"

Actually if yiou get the food down the pipe you will be just fine. The website says she has a degree in food nutrition and some digestive problems of her own which led to her coming up with her own meals while backpacking. Everyone apparently liked what she brot along which spurred the company. It just seems
to me she like a LOT of spice.

This is an interesting post!

Worked: ONX Hunt app. I got a new I phone SE this summer and have been using the gps App. Was skeptical of relying on my phone (besides maps and compass of course), but it performed very well with saved maps, airplane mode, and lifeproof case.

Fail: Cabela's MT050 Gore tex rain gear.
I moved to the Olympic Peninsula of WA state this spring and tried to hunt Roosevelt elk and blacktails in the coastal rain forests of the west side of the peninsula in my Cabela's raingear. To say I got wet is an understatement. I got soaked to the bone... every time I went out. Granted, this set is about 7 years old, but hoped for a little better. I have since done some research and think I am going to try Helly Hansen rain coat with hip waders for next season.

Fail: Base Camp out of the topper of my truck bed.

This could have worked better if my raingear wasn't soaking wet along with all of my layers underneath. made it impossible to dry out, and ended up making more trips back home to dry my gear than I would have liked. Would like to upgrade to a wall tent with wood stove

Actually if yiou get the food down the pipe you will be just fine. The website says she has a degree in food nutrition and some digestive problems of her own which led to her coming up with her own meals while backpacking. Everyone apparently liked what she brot along which spurred the company. It just seems
to me she like a LOT of spice.

Maybe the spice helps with getting the stuff to clear the tailpipe? Google "Havana Omlet"

What worked, gear category-

This palace on wheels-

20161103_163503_zpspcjtfaxg.jpg

Call me a wuss if you must, but it makes it a lot easier on a 7+ day hunt when you've got heat, water, shelter, and a mattresd with a couple flips of switches at the end of the day.

Non-gear category-

Having amazing friends-

14494830_10208962342868512_1709452372777781453_n_zpsi1rzzocl.jpg

What didn't work, gear category-

My 10+ year old Nikon Monarchs. I've been looking through too many good sets of friends binoculars, and these need upgraded badly.

Non-gear category-

My body. If you don't take care of the meat wagon, it won't take care of you. I hit a major wall half way through November this year, and it cost me a very good Wyoming elk tag, as well as causing me to eat my Montana buck tag for the first time in 15 years.

For me it was the outdoor edge unzipper knife (no other blade on it) that makes skinning so damn easy. I still cut with havalon.

I liked my savage lightweight hunter after I swapped out the stupid plastic trigger guard. I spent a lot of time developing a really good load for it only to shoot my Muley at 20 yards.

The biggest miss was the havalon replaceable gut blade. Not good for skinning IMO.

hit: Jetboil Genesis ll stove. great for truck camp. PoWERFUL stove.

Hit: Delorme Inreach SE and free Earthmate app that comes with.

Hit: Stone Glacier Skyarcher 6200 pack.

Hit: Schnees Beartooth Boots. Wow. After hard days elk hunting, I had no feet soreness or fatigue at all. Loved them.
Hit: Sitka Timberline pants
Miss: OnXMaps. It crapped out before we left, had to reload everything, then crapped out midway through the hunt for me and 2 of my buddies.

Last edited:
Good stuff guys. I tried to keep it short and sweet hence "ONE" item but that is tough to do with a bunch of hardcore western hunters haha. As I originally stated, I love reading about gear reviews from others that are out in the field. It's kind of black and white. It either works or it doesn't and most of us spend too much time, energy, and money each fall to have gear fail us when we need it most. Lots of good info on this thread. Looking forward to trying some new stuff out in 2017

I like hearing ALL of it, the good and the bad, and the why it did or did not. Even stuff that is not new but works well.

Hits:

- Smartphone maps of all kinds (Namely OnX, Avenza and the SoDak GFP app). I've used Avenza and OnX in the past, but this year they really got a workout. I'm still perplexed with OnX at times when trying to dial in one thing or another, but as others have mentioned, it's getting better and is now a 'can not leave truck without it' item
- Harris Bipod. Can't believe it took me so long to add this sucker.
- Prairie Storm 3" shells - I've used them since they came out, and either I got a lot better (doubtful) or they've tinkered with something. Much better pheasant performance than ever.
- JetBoil w/Coffee Press attachment. Combined with Mountain House Biscuits&Gravy and some Taco Bell Hot packets, this has made my hunting life 100% better and weighs virtually nothing relatively speaking.

Half and Half

- FHF Bino/Rangefinder harness. I LOVE the Bino harness. The Rangefinder attachment felt very weird on my ribs. Luckily my buddy is something of an expert on Jury-Rigging, so a little paracord and it's now installed below the Binos and is about damn perfect.
- Sitka Merino liner gloves. I LOVE them. But they aren't durable in any sense of the word. I'm on my 3rd pair in 2.5 years. 4 of the 6 gloves have a hole in a finger or two.
- Cabelas Upland Extreme Pants: Great fit and function, but after 84.8 miles of pheasant and prairie grouse walks this year (number courtesy of Smart Phone apps, as above), they are already splitting at the crotch. That's only 12.5 days, which is way too short. I will be sending them back for a replace/repair. Hopefully it's an anomaly.

Fail:

Nothing that completely exploded/imploded/tore/broke when it shouldn't have, so I'll count that as a success.

I'll echo Randy's Failure of non-gear post about keeping care of your body...this year wasn't as active throughout the year (2015 I had logged over 500 miles on the trails vs 2016 probably 50 miles) and I crashed hard while elk hunting with a few other HuntTalkers and it was embarrassing.

Last edited:
Worked:

-Avenza. No longer free ($30 annual charge) but still worth it. Love the simple interface, efficiency in terms of battery depletion on my iPhone, and nothing beats making my own maps for usage in the field.

- 10 ply truck tires. I got 2 flats during bow season on some POS summer tires. Forked out $900 for good tires and quit worrying about it.

Not good:

- Any defogger for eyeglasses. I've tried them all. None of them work.

Hit: My cheap Bushnell backtracker. Don't get me wrong, I love a good GPS unit. But those short day trips when you want to go light as possible and already know your way around for the most part. These work great.

Miss: Havalon knives. These were probably a hit for me last year, but I'm no longer a fan of changing blades in the field.

My hunting kit is getting pretty well tuned, so nothing really stood out this year for me. Trying to play along though - because I have been trolling through here looking for gear that I "need" for next year.

Great: While not gear, I used it all season and have really been using Hank Shaw's "Buck, Buck, Moose" since the General Season ended. Been liking it so much that I have gifted 4 copies for the Holidays. I made the Icelandic Venison with Blueberry sauce last night for dinner, and the kids ate it all up.

Not so great: This canopy did not fare well in Eastern MT storms this year:
[URL=http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/msvee308/media/WP_20161003_19_34_07_Pro.jpg.html][/URL]

I don't remember the make / model, etc. The good news is that I couldn't save it.

Hit: DeLorme InReach satellite communicator. I think, as I have got older/wiser, I quit hunting as much by myself, and in sketchy places, just out of my fear of dying a horrible death of some imaginary cause. But, with the DeLorme InReach, I found myself enjoying hunting by myself again, leaving other people, friend and foe, behind, and just going where the game and mountains lead me.

It is a permanent fixture in my pack.

Miss: Can't think of anything that totally sucked, that I added this year. I tend not to buy cheap crap anymore, so the few items I do buy are generally well researched. I guess the Model 1911 .45cal that I bought because I thought Hillary would win and outlaw all of our guns was a miss...

Hits: RCBS rock chucker supreme master reloading kit, allowed for a lot more rifle range practice, and alot of satisfaction when you take game knowing you loaded the round. Camper shell for my truck don't know what I did before I had one, its great to store stuff out of the weather and sight.
Fist lite springer vest and labrador jacket and mountain athlete triad socks, and kanab 2.0 pants. Vortex tripod with bino adapter, never knew how much you really wiggle the glass when looking through them until I put them on the tripod. Badlands 2200 love it. Nosler bullets need I say more.
Miss: Badlands bino mag bino harness lifetime warrany is great but it bounced open when it hit the saddle horn and lost my wind checker and almost lost binos it they hadn't hit in my hand, didn't have them tethered b/c of tripod but after that I did and just took harness off. Meindel ultra light hunter hunter boots, great until you put a load on then serious hot spots.
Same problem as randy11 my nikon monarchs are great but being 10 years old they could use upgrading. Especially after looking through much better glass.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back