Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2016 Gear Review. One thing that worked for you, and one that disappointed.

Worked well; Hanwag Alaskas, $30 Core4 190/250 merino base layer tops

Getting tossed; KUIU bino Harnes, FHF Gear bino harness.

Adding to the lineup in the Spring; Marsupial Gear Bino harness.

FHF Bino harness, Kuiu Attack pants, merino base layers, and the Leupold VX3i CDS with the 1200TBR rangefinder combo. All these have worked like advertised and have either increased my comfort level or capabilities in the field.

Hot: Kenetrek Bridget mid and high's hikers. Love em! Outdoor edge folding knife with replacement blades! Alaskan bino harness, holds all my junk I need!

Not: Kifaru gun bearer (might be user error) but I can't get it to work right, rifle like to flip over 108 degrees, and then the bolt digs into my hip/thigh.

Middle of the road: Easton Fullbore 5600 pack, it works, not enough pockets for me, and the frame is a bit more flimsy then I'd like.

My only new gear this year was swapping out my Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker with Nikon Monarch scope to a Kimber Montana with leupold vx-3i scope. Saved 2 pounds and shots better.

Not: Kifaru gun bearer (might be user error) but I can't get it to work right, rifle like to flip over 108 degrees, and then the bolt digs into my hip/thigh.

Once you get it figured out, you'll love it. I would add that to my list of favorite new gear. That thing is the bee's knees.

Although I had a ton of new gear this year to try out, most all good stuff, I'd have to say that the best thing was a new hunting partner.
Way back in March I made a post about looking for someone to go elk hunting with. Mike answered my call and after talking on the phone a couple times and meeting each other over a couple steaks we'd hashed out a plan. Long story short, we had a great time hunting some awsome public land. We laughed, we cussed, and I do believe we both found good friends that'll certainly spend another hunting camp together. Thanks a lot Mike.
Yup, best new piece of equipment I got.

Hot: Kenetrek Bridget mid and high's hikers. Love em!

I'm there with ya. Bought the Kenetrek Bridger Ridge hikers as an early season shoe. Wore them July - September. They're great. Had one of the fabric lace loops break, sent back to Kenetrek and they repaired them no questions asked. They're as light as my Merrills I wear everyday as well.

I'm there with ya. Bought the Kenetrek Bridger Ridge hikers as an early season shoe. Wore them July - September. They're great. Had one of the fabric lace loops break, sent back to Kenetrek and they repaired them no questions asked. They're as light as my Merrills I wear everyday as well.

I got mine off camofire for 40ish bucks, these were the mids, the instep areas blew out during archery season. As I drove thru Bozeman I stopped in and told the lady all that and with out questioning anything she replaced them with the new better High's!

Customer for life now!

Winner: Delorme Inreach SE joined my gear this year. I was able to check in with the home base whenever I pleased. The extra peace of mind is worth every penny.

Loser: Barnes TTSX bullets out of my 280. Accuracy is awesome, but terminally seemed to not perform as they should...put 3 in the boiler maker on a mule deer and it still wanted to hump the doe he was after. He finally died, but not with the effectiveness as advertised. Am I alone here?

Liked:
1. My InReach unit, thankfully didn't need to use for an emergency, but used it to reach Gerald's wife to tell her he and the boys wouldn't be home as expected, staying another night on the mountain, we were just having to much fun chasing elk during archery season. Also used it one night late moving hunt locations, unfortunately I hit a deer with my vehicle and was able to text friends notifying them I'd be coming to their house.
2. Kuiu mnt star 2p tent, no complaints.

Dislike:
1. Although I've had a couple seasons, I'm really disliking the zipper function on the waist pockets of my Kuiu ultra pack. No complaints with the pack otherwise.

The new gear I've tried in the past year or two:
The recommended by me list:
Changed to lightweight rifle. I didn't realize how much my shoulders were suffering from packing heavy rifles all day. Tried a Kimber this year and I was surprised how much more comfortable I felt at the end of the day. Unfortunately, the Kimber is a 325wsm so its too expensive to become my primary shooter. Switching to a Tikka superlite in .308 for next year.
Exped syncel pad. More comfortable than my mattress at home.
Nemo Blaze. The 2 person tent is lighter than any 1 man tent I previously owned and it has plenty of room for me and my gear. I'm concerned about how long it will hold up, but so far so good.
Hornady ammunition.
SealSkinz socks.

The POS list:
Havalon Edge multi-tool. What a POS. I like to cut through joints, so this thing is worse than useless. I also use ribs to guide my knife when cutting the diaphragm and I ended up with a broken blade lost in the guts both times I tried it. The gut hook is probably good for gopher hunters, but too small to work on a mule deer.
Winchester and Remington ammunition.

Liked:
Seek Outside tipi and stove - lightweight and great to have a warm tent. Best investment of the year
Pocket rocket- simple and effective. Hot meals make hunts better
Starbucks Via packets - those will get things movin in the morning.
Kuiu superdown vest - man that thing packs a lot of heat in a small package
Kuiu Chinooks - the price was right so I gave 'em a try. I enjoyed the vented legs for a nice cooling sensation on the chode. Knee pads weren't too bad either. Still not sure that these are as good as Sitkas though.

Sorta liked:
Kuiu zip off long johns - felt like the waistband was always being dug into my sides by my pack. Got annoying BUT it's nice to be able to peel them off without removing my boots
Kuiu Attack pants - Jury is still out on the Attacks. I think I liked my Sitka Ascents more before I wore them out. I'm pretty hard on my pants and noticed more damage to the Kuiu's in less time than it took to wreck my Sitkas.
Gerber replaceable blade knife - felt like it got dull too quickly. When sharp, I really enjoyed it.

Gotta think a little longer about the gear I didn't like.

HITS: KUIU Chugach raingear combined with their Yukon gaiters. It's the first time I've been comfortable hiking in sleet with a heavy pack and stayed dry from the inside and out.
Lowa Tibet Insulated. I damaged my circulation in my left foot while duck hunting with a leaky wader in high school and have struggled with it ever since. These are the first boots I've found that kept me warm in snowy conditions and were still comfortable to hike in all day with a pack.

MISSES: Vortex Optics. I missed a 202" buck on Day 4 of my hunt after I tried to turn up the zoom on my rifle scope to maximum (which would align the reticle with the correct yardage). All my Leupold scopes require much less manual rotation to go from min zoom to max zoom and I wasn't used to the Vortex and messed up and didn't get the two cranks in due to buck fever (I say two cranks because the barrel and scope require exerting as much turn as possible, then lifting off the scope and repeating). This mistake on my part, plus what I feel is poor scope design, caused me to shoot a few feet over the bucks back. Luckily he wasn't too spooked and came back the next day and I got him. After getting home and comparing my Vortex Rangefinder to a new Leica, I found the Vortex was overestimating range by over 10%. I'm not sure if the miss was me not getting the scope turned, a bad Rangefinder, or a combination of both, but I wasn't happy about either product. I know Vortex would fix the rangefinder but it's not worth it to me if mechanical error makes me miss maybe the biggest buck of my life. I'm snake bit with Vortex now.

Last edited:
Good: Kuiu Attack Pants; Patagonia Nano Puff Jacket

Bad: Delorme inReach. I went through two of them this fall - defective units. Even worse was Delorme customer service. I ended up going back to SPOT. It lacks the ability to text back and forth, but at least it is reliable. I'd rather have a more basic unit that I can trust. I also like having an emergency unit that uses replaceable batteries rather than a charger.

HITS: KUIU Chugach raingear combined with their Yukon gaiters. It's the first time I've been comfortable hiking in sleet with a heavy pack and stayed dry from the inside and out.
Lowa Tibet Insulated. I damaged my circulation in my left foot while duck hunting with a leaky wader in high school and have struggled with it ever since. These are the first boots I've found that kept me warm in snowy conditions and were still comfortable to hike in all day with a pack.

MISSES: Vortex Optics. I missed a 202" buck on Day 4 of my hunt after I tried to turn up the zoom on my rifle scope to maximum (which would align the reticle with the correct yardage). All my Leupold scopes require much less manual rotation to go from min zoom to max zoom and I wasn't used to the Vortex and messed up and didn't get the two cranks in due to buck fever (I say two cranks because the barrel and scope require exerting as much turn as possible, then lifting off the scope and repeating). This mistake on my part, plus what I feel is poor scope design, caused me to shoot a few feet over the bucks back. Luckily he wasn't too spooked and came back the next day and I got him. After getting home and comparing my Vortex Rangefinder to a new Leica, I found the Vortex was overestimating range by over 10%. I'm not sure if the miss was me not getting the scope turned, a bad Rangefinder, or a combination of both, but I wasn't happy about either product. I know Vortex would fix the rangefinder but it's not worth it to me if mechanical error makes me miss maybe the biggest buck of my life. I'm snake bit with Vortex now.

How far away was the buck?

Good: AGC KISS bino harness, EE Revelation 10F Quilt, Jimmy Tarp Granite Mountain, Tikka T3 30-06 with Leupold VX-3i, Leupold 1200i TBR rangefinder, First Lite Aerowool Minaret Crew

Meh: Sawyer Mini: Just kind of a PITA to fill a bottle and very slow. It is very light though so I'll still keep it in my pack.
First Lite Boundary Stormtight pants: never really got to put these to the test but I wear a Medium in other FL bottoms and these fit like skinny jeans. Other than fit they seem like good shell pants.

RIP: Leki Makalu trekking poles. Had these since the late 90's and are finally needing replacement. The grips have been nearly chewed off by a packrat (two separate incidents in the same campsite 10 years apart). Probably get some flick lock poles next.

Whew! Invested in a lot of new gear this year and I finally feel like my kit is pretty dang tuned for what I like and what works.

disliked: Heather's choice. Like Josh's post above. I liked her story of building the co and really wanted to like the food but. Wow. camping 5 miles out, low a water and dug into one of the "highly recommended, popular choices'. It was so spicy my lips burned the rest of the night and I used up a lot of water trying to remedy it. who puts a ton of hot spice in camping food?. the 2nd one I tried only mildly better. Ate alot of bars and nuts the rest of the trip.

Too spicy? Time to man up.

All kidding aside, which meals did you try? I've been wanting to order some of her items.

Back