You can’t make this up elk hunt gone wrong

Lyfter1013

Just thought I’d share my disaster of my elk hunt this year. It honestly just got comical with how much went wrong, mostly truck issues. With that said my truck has been very reliable since I bought it other than the times I did something stupid to break it so no reason to think there was an issue. Everything is kinda running together at this point but here’s a recap as best as I can remember after the heavy drinking after each failure 🤦🏼‍♂️

Left on Wednesday the 9th and the plan was to drive straight through to Montana and arrive late Wednesday night, well after 15 hours on the road and still 4 hours away (supposed to be a 14hr drive straight through) due to bad road conditions/weather we decided to get a hotel for the night and wait for weather to pass. We arrive Thursday around noon and get settled in and check in. Went out for a drive Thursday night just to Check Things out.

Friday rolls around and I go to Start the truck and truck won’t start, I had filled up with 50/50 diesel blend because it
Was getting down in the negatives overnight, but after the truck wouldn’t start I figured my fuel gelled up. So we
Walked down to the auto store and bought diesel 911 for the tank and fuel filter. After adding that truck still wouldn’t start, after investigating found the primer pump on the fuel filter housing was leaking and losing prime. Called Around and no one in town had a new housing to replace, but Orielly said they could have one next day. So I decide to wait for Saturday well at 4:59 when everyone is closing I get a call that there stock was off at the other store and they couldn’t get one until the following Wednesday 🤦🏼‍♂️.

Found a parts store in town that had a rebuild kit but was too late to walk
There so had to Wait for Saturday. I know from others these rebuild kits often don’t last but I had to try.

Saturday rebuilt the housing/primer pump in the driveway of the Airbnb I was staying at, owners were very nice and understanding and told me I could work on truck there which was very nice.

Hunted Saturday evening but made it out later than I wanted but still made it out.

Sunday hunted the morning with no luck and decided to move to a different location, got back to truck and once again truck won’t start! 🤦🏼‍♂️. Was able to hand prime and got it started, got back to
The highway and turned off truck again to see if it was a one off. Well it wasn’t wouldn’t start again but was able to hand prime. Drove back to town and found online oreilly had a new housing in Bozeman.

Monday we drive from Dillon to Bozeman to get the new housing and have it installed not wanting to work on the truck in front of the Airbnb again. That was an all day event finding a shop to get us in.

Tuesday was able to hunt without issue seen a few elk but were either too far away or just outside the BMA I was hunting

Wednesday rolls around and we finally get into elk, saw several herds but every time I would try to make a move someone in a side by side or Truck would bump the elk. Go to move locations and my girlfriend gets out to open/close a gate we had driven through and she says somethings hanging underneath the truck. Get out and find one of my shock mounts snapped off the rear end and is about an inch off the ground! 🤦🏼‍♂️ Drive back to town to get this removed. So it doesn’t damage the shock.

Thursday hunted and seen a herd that we got closer too then got out and walked with another guy I had met the day before really good guy btw. But the elk changed direction and we only seen them from about half mile away and couldn’t get around the hill to cut them Off in time.

Friday was when it really went down hill. While driving out to where I was hunting my transmission keeps shifting into Neutral and I’d let off the gas and it would go back to drive. So I turn Back And head to town not wanting to be stranded. On the way back truck would only shift from 1st to 2nd gear. 🤦🏼‍♂️ Found a shop that would hook
Up Scanner and check codes. Found it was faulting for Transmission Control Module. Of course non in stock anywhere close by.

Ended up finding a place to do a longterm
Rental car in town. Loaded as much as we could in the rental and drove back to California leaving my truck in Montana until
It can be fixed and I have a couple days to drive back up for it.

Needless to say this was the most disappointing hunting trip I’ve ever had. With that said if anyone is looking for a 2003 Chevy Duramax let me Know!!

Just thought I’d share my disaster of my elk hunt this year. It honestly just got comical with how much went wrong, mostly truck issues. With that said my truck has been very reliable since I bought it other than the times I did something stupid to break it so no reason to think there was an issue. Everything is kinda running together at this point but here’s a recap as best as I can remember after the heavy drinking after each failure 🤦🏼‍♂️

Left on Wednesday the 9th and the plan was to drive straight through to Montana and arrive late Wednesday night, well after 15 hours on the road and still 4 hours away (supposed to be a 14hr drive straight through) due to bad road conditions/weather we decided to get a hotel for the night and wait for weather to pass. We arrive Thursday around noon and get settled in and check in. Went out for a drive Thursday night just to Check Things out.

Friday rolls around and I go to Start the truck and truck won’t start, I had filled up with 50/50 diesel blend because it
Was getting down in the negatives overnight, but after the truck wouldn’t start I figured my fuel gelled up. So we
Walked down to the auto store and bought diesel 911 for the tank and fuel filter. After adding that truck still wouldn’t start, after investigating found the primer pump on the fuel filter housing was leaking and losing prime. Called Around and no one in town had a new housing to replace, but Orielly said they could have one next day. So I decide to wait for Saturday well at 4:59 when everyone is closing I get a call that there stock was off at the other store and they couldn’t get one until the following Wednesday 🤦🏼‍♂️.
Had similar issue on a MD hunt in CO a few years ago. When I went to start truck to head home it was slow to fire. Chalked it up to it had been sitting idle in the cold for several days. Got to town, shut down to fuel up. It was even harder to start this time. Cracked filter housing! Never shut off truck until I got home. 2008 Duramax.

At least you didn’t shoot an elk….. 😂🤣
I actually could’ve shot a cow the day I was driving back to town to have the shock removed, but at the time wasn’t sure how big of a deal the shock would be and was trying to Focus on that, in hindsight it was good I didn’t because There’s noway I was fitting an ice chest in the Hyundai Elantra hatchback I rented haha

2003 Chevy Duramax.
My little sister had a Jeep Liberty with the 2.8 diesel, and she drove 400 miles to see us, and the thing wouldn't start. Crank, and crank, nothing. It took a long time to figure out that the spin on fuel filter right at the manual prime pump had backed off a little and the thing lost prime. Fortunately it was an easy fix, but I feel your pain on that front. I bent the crap out of my track bar on a hunt just a couple weeks ago, made the rest of the trip pretty spicy, but fortunately we were close to home.

I actually could’ve shot a cow the day I was driving back to town to have the shock removed, but at the time wasn’t sure how big of a deal the shock would be and was trying to Focus on that, in hindsight it was good I didn’t because There’s noway I was fitting an ice chest in the Hyundai Elantra hatchback I rented haha

Don’t sell yourself short, you coulda crammed it in with a little imagination
876028BB-6315-4EE8-A2F9-8F1C89806123.jpegF6C6B546-194D-4B37-A292-24247829A3B4.jpeg

Thats so frustrating - thats kinda how my sheep hunt went. I didn't get my car back from shop until midnight the day before I left, had check engine light in the middle of nowhere, got my quad so stuck I couldn't get out and had to wait for help a full day hike from where I could start hiking to start hunting.

Sorry for the rough hunt man!

I feel your pain.

Hell, keep the truck you damn near fixed everything that goes wrong.
Definitely part of the thought process but that’s what I thought after having other work done earlier this year and having my buddy do a once over.

Had similar issue on a MD hunt in CO a few years ago. When I went to start truck to head home it was slow to fire. Chalked it up to it had been sitting idle in the cold for several days. Got to town, shut down to fuel up. It was even harder to start this time. Cracked filter housing! Never shut off truck until I got home. 2008 Duramax.
I do like that you have the ability to hand prime if needed but man those units don’t seem to be as bullet proof as they should

Who was it with the Modified Artic Swamp buggies? Didn't he change a piston on one of his hunts?

Vehicle mechanical problems should be viewed outside the scope of "The Hunt". Some level of Mechanical issues associated with weather and travelling long distances is to be expected, especially with double digit age vehicles. It comes with the territory. I hope the next time you have an out of state hunt that you can do as much preventative maintenance as possible so you don't have to worry about it.

I too had a Transmission Module issue in 2014, in my 2001 Duramax. $1500 and an extra 4 days in Wyoming that year. Was not fun!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Who was it with the Modified Artic Swamp buggies? Didn't he change a piston on one of his hunts?

Vehicle mechanical problems should be viewed outside the scope of "The Hunt". Some level of Mechanical issues associated with weather and travelling long distances is to be expected, especially with double digit age vehicles. It comes with the territory. I hope the next time you have an out of state hunt that you can do as much preventative maintenance as possible so you don't have to worry about it.

I too had a Transmission Module issue in 2014, in my 2001 Duramax. $1500 and an extra 4 days in Wyoming that year. Was not fun!
Yikes

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back