2016 Colorado 3rd Season Elk Hunt Photos

Madman

Elk hunting has been tough in much of Colorado this year as temps were a touch higher than average. Here are a few photos of my adventure, which it was my pleasure to introduce my best friend Zak to elk hunting.
k1.jpg
z3.jpg
Not only did I get to show him the hunt, we also took on field dressing, a really long drag, and butchering!
4.jpg
7.jpg
10.jpg
12.jpg

Cool. Someday I'll figure out how to get one out as a full carcass. Congrats.

Wow!

A "really long drag" with a Colorado legal bull is about 25 yards, right? Super to bring your buddy into the fold of elk hunting. Congratulations

Congrats!! What elevation were you seeing them? I'm headed out for 4th season.

A "long drag" was about 1.5 miles. Working against us was zero snow, working for us was the fact that we were up hill and I actually took the shot from the top of a13er on the continental divide. We just grabbed an antler on each side and pulled like hell for a long time. I'll add a photo to put it in perspective!

drag.jpg
If we had done anything other than drag the entire thing in one shot then we would have had to climb the hill again, which was an ass kicker. The shot took place from the upper rock cluster on the upper left of the mountain. You can see the drag mark if you look closely. He dropped in the top of the buck brush.

Two buddies and I drug one that far last year in the snow...that will not be happening again. You are a madman!! I figured we would be looking high this year

Holy crap! You two are animals. That is a long drag. I did that 30years ago but not any more, This old man has to bone out and divvy up the weight.
Your Friend is now hooked. what a great adventure. Congratulations!

Holy crap! You two are animals. That is a long drag. I did that 30years ago but not any more, This old man has to bone out and divvy up the weight.
Your Friend is now hooked. what a great adventure. Congratulations!

Yup, he was already counting the days until next season!

Congrats on the bull!

My buddy shot an elk on Tuesday, we were on the side of a steep hill and were going to 'drag' it down a bit, one little shift and the whole thing turned into a furry toboggan and went on it's own for about 50yds, glad I wasn't standing downhill from it...

Congrats on the bull!

My buddy shot an elk on Tuesday, we were on the side of a steep hill and were going to 'drag' it down a bit, one little shift and the whole thing turned into a furry toboggan and went on it's own for about 50yds, glad I wasn't standing downhill from it...

Yeah, they get a lot of momentum, and it can be down right scary in snow and ice.....but it makes for a helluva story!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcat1984
Back