NEW SITKA Ambient 75

2015 Fresh Tracks whiteboard

Randy I really think you should try the grouse hunt in Big Falls. I think everyone would enjoy seeing where you came from.It may not be for everyone but it would continue your tradition of doing things your way. I have room at my house or hunting shack for you and all your crew and I guarantee you will enjoy the hunting and story telling of days gone by.

Since my brother vowed that he would never again subject himself to the indignity of being filmed, I guess I would have to impose on you to be the focus of this episode. People knowing where I came from, or maybe better put, the stock from which I came, could be a risky proposition for what little public image I might have. I can't imagine the stories that would be told during an "open mic" session at the Powerhouse.

If nothing else, I am sure some of the folks at the Ruffed Grouse Society would blow a gasket when they saw me lining up on a partridge atop a stump, drawing a bead with my 28" full choke 12 gauge, decapitating the bird at 45 yards with a tight pattern of #5 lead, and causing the bird to spin in fast circles with his last gasp of air. Though that would imply I am worried about folks who get worked up over hunting the way I grew up doing it - Not.

I'll give it some more thought. The first week of October is open on the schedule, at least as of now. That would be the best time to chase partridge, assuming a cold frost has removed some of the leaves by then. Not sure what the populations are in the cycle of birds at this time, though wet/dry cold/warm spring will have a big influence on that.

If we film it and we sloosh limits of birds, I hope the boys don't get mad at me for showing the world some of the best grouse hunting in all of North America. You will be inundated by the grouse junkies, following such a display on TV. The only saving grace is that the type of facilities the grouse nuts of the world expect are in short supply in the vicinity of central Kooch County. Such dearth of refined establishments could keep them at bay, and is exactly what makes it such a cool place to call "home."

Grouse hunt = Bass fishing = boring! JMO.

I don't see another wolf hunt on the board, that was a great show. Predators, trapping, lions, something different.

How about a real challenge?
They have something in Scotland called a 'Macnab' it is very, very difficult to achieve, let alone film (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z888vycb5FE) you have to catch a Salmon on the fly, shoot a brace of Grouse, and kill a Red Stag, a Royal Macnab is in addition to make love to a virgin, but as most of us are married and too old (speaking for myself of course!) forget that part!
So Idaho comes to mind, catch a Steelhead, shoot the grouse and kill an Elk, all within 24 hours, now that would be worth filming!
Just an idea.
Cheers
Richard

I appreciate the behind the scenes info, really I do! My oldest son loves to watch hunting shows, unfortunately we don't get your channel, and he's asked why don't we do a show? That has caused me to be interested in the logistics/cost.

Good luck on your "investment", I hope it grows more than you ever thought possible.

We did it ourselves when this thing first started. Notice that beyond the standard hunting costs (lodging, tags, etc) almost everything else is production related. If you have your own camera and do all the recording, footage logging, and editing yourself, that will save you a bunch of money at the cost of your own time. We found that this was fine (good, even) for sharing hunts with the family and friends but you'd never see a hunt that we put together on a televised network. Some snippets of the footage maybe, but not much beyond that.

Don't get me wrong, it was a ton of fun to do. Our (my) camera and editing skills were just not up to par with a production company that does it professionally. I'd suggest giving it a go "On Your Own" before you dive headfirst into something more serious.

Maybe I'll see you on POW.I'm thinking hard at early August for some alpine bucks.I even found a good mountain you don't have to brush hog thru to get to alpine.Can't imagine how it would be to get all the camera stuff up on some of those peaks and the wall of brush you have to navigate
Nickster,you up for round 2????

We did it ourselves when this thing first started. Notice that beyond the standard hunting costs (lodging, tags, etc) almost everything else is production related. If you have your own camera and do all the recording, footage logging, and editing yourself, that will save you a bunch of money at the cost of your own time. We found that this was fine (good, even) for sharing hunts with the family and friends but you'd never see a hunt that we put together on a televised network. Some snippets of the footage maybe, but not much beyond that.

Don't get me wrong, it was a ton of fun to do. Our (my) camera and editing skills were just not up to par with a production company that does it professionally. I'd suggest giving it a go "On Your Own" before you dive headfirst into something more serious.
I remember those days and remember Dad making you not shoot a good bull because of filming issues. :eek: I really am thinking about getting a good camera and trying to film some of my kids hunts. They're young enough that I'm with them anyway and the hunt is about/for them.

I doubt I'd ever get it past the home movie step. My pocket book is way too small and my budgeting skills way too conservative to do anything more. That said, there's already a bunch of really fat, bald guys on hunting shows... ;)

I'm sure your way more versed in what's out there for video camera equipment than I. Any recommendations you'd make for someone looking to do a good quality home video?

I really am thinking about getting a good camera and trying to film some of my kids hunts. They're young enough that I'm with them anyway and the hunt is about/for them.

I doubt I'd ever get it past the home movie step. My pocket book is way too small and my budgeting skills way too conservative to do anything more. That said, there's already a bunch of really fat, bald guys on hunting shows... ;)

I'm sure your way more versed in what's out there for video camera equipment than I. Any recommendations you'd make for someone looking to do a good quality home video?
Why not buy a digital camera with a video capability?
You then have a great camera for stills that you buy additional lenses for, and still get top quality HD video from.
Just an idea.
Cheers
Richard

Here is another vote for a MN grouse episode. I would love it! One thing that comes to mind is that I have never seen a grouse hunting show. Not many hunts out there that haven't been shown a gazillion times. Of course I do see a potential snag....what if said grouse actually flies? Are you gonna put footage of yourself whiffing time and time again on TV?:D Yes, that is my way of prodding ya! Oh, one last thing....not many hunting shows are filmed in MN, so again, that is something different when you are listing the pros/cons.

Montana Lion

Fin---
any chance of a Montana lion hunt ever being on Fresh Tracks?? Love that idea, i would love to see you and your guys/friends/crew put your personal touch on a Montana DIY Lion Hunt in the winter. I have never been lion hunting and may try to tag along with a friend soon.

Fin---
any chance of a Montana lion hunt ever being on Fresh Tracks?? Love that idea, i would love to see you and your guys/friends/crew put your personal touch on a Montana DIY Lion Hunt in the winter. I have never been lion hunting and may try to tag along with a friend soon.

Not sure. To me, lion hunting is about the dogs and the handler-dog relationship. I am still trying to figure out how a guy who doesn't have dogs, me, can be part of a compelling story about the dogs.

I did apply for a limited entry lion tag this year in MT, but did not draw. The person who encouraged me to do so understands the storytelling aspects of TV. I think with him, we could pull off a good story. Other than that, I am still trying to get my head around what the story would be with Randy just showing up and shooting a lion treed by another person's dogs. I wouldn't hesitate at all to accept such an invite if provided, just probably wouldn't bring cameras along unless I knew a good story could be told.

Add another vote for a AZ Coues deer hunt - but, given enough AZ deer points, I'd opt for a late December hunt - much more active bucks and a great time to be in southcentral AZ.

Not sure. To me, lion hunting is about the dogs and the handler-dog relationship. I am still trying to figure out how a guy who doesn't have dogs, me, can be part of a compelling story about the dogs.

I did apply for a limited entry lion tag this year in MT, but did not draw. The person who encouraged me to do so understands the storytelling aspects of TV. I think with him, we could pull off a good story. Other than that, I am still trying to get my head around what the story would be with Randy just showing up and shooting a lion treed by another person's dogs. I wouldn't hesitate at all to accept such an invite if provided, just probably wouldn't bring cameras along unless I knew a good story could be told.

I agree with this. Its not the same unless you have a dog in the race. I recently got back into running hounds and its personally not much fun to hunt over someone else's hound or bird dog.
Sounds like some great hunts. Really enjoyed the recent Wyoming hunts.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
240shooter
Back