PEAX Equipment

2014 MT Elk Hunt Video - Critiques Needed

mr_steve

Hey guys,

I finally finished the video from my friend Shayne's (yotkilr) 2014 MT Public Land Elk Hunt. Click here to go to the thread on that hunt. This was one of the best hunts I have been on and can't wait for our next adventure together (2015 CO High Country Mule Deer). It definitely slows down the hunt to film and makes me respect Randy even more. It took quite a bit of work but I am happy how it turned out. Someday I hope to do filming/editing full-time!

My goal this year was to make an enjoyable video that represented public land elk hunting. I have been working hard to get better at filming/video editing and made improvement this year but have room for improvement. I would like to submit this video for either the Outdoor Film Festival or the Badlands Film Festival and they both require an 8-10 minute video. Currently it is 18 minutes so I need to shorten it up quite a bit.

This is where I need your help: If you get a moment to watch it let me know what you like and what you don't like! That will help greatly as I decide how to shorten the video. Thanks in advance and I hope you enjoy.

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE VIDEO ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zakNntcEE

Steve

Great Video Steve!!

A few thoughts. You can probably cut out the black screens with day1, day2 and such. In the interview following each you say what day it is.

To me, the interviews felt a touch long. there tends to be a line at the end of each interview like "We'll see how it goes" that could probably go for the sake of time.

Really cool bull, and I like how much lead up you have filmed up to both shots, though that may be something that has to pare down for the sake of time. If you have to cut 8-10 minutes off the video, day 3 could probably go.

Just a few thoughts. Hope it helps.

Anyhow, Really cool bull and a great video!!

Sweet. I barely have enough patience to take pictures. That takes dedication what you are doing.

Thanks for taking us along.

Sweet video!

Here is my 2 cents:
I would cut the separation between day 1, day 2, and so forth and just have the better sequences leading up to the kill, while it sucks to leave out the whole story, it would be hard to fit it in that time slot without confusing the viewer by shoving all that content in a short period of time. I would focus on cutting whole clips rather than trying to shorten them for that reason as well.

You can also put the narration over the top of some of your clips as well. We don't need to see the hunter the whole time he is talking.

Just a few ideas.

Great video and congrats on a fine elk. I agree with above suggestions on how to trim it down to make the requirements. You could maybe shave a bit off the intro (gas pumping and some driving) if you still need to find more to trim off, although that won't get you too much.

how did the meat turn out? as there is so much debate on leaving elk overnight, I'm curious if you lost any meat and what parts (if so). Those one-lung or liver hits with no or minimal blood are so tough to decide on when its pitch dark.

Great video! I agree with the above comments. Congrats!

Good video, I would just shorten each one of your clips, take 10-15 seconds off the front and back of them, and take more out of the camp shot's, camp shot's aren't all that important....
Matt

Great job Steve and Shayne both on the bull and the video! Steve, you did a great job on getting shots that tell a compelling story. I like your choice of music, it went well with the mood of your shots and your story line.
I agree with most of the comments already mentioned. I do like the day 1,day 2, day 3, screens but they could be shortened a bit. Also when Shayne is doing his updates if you show him talking just a few seconds before bringing other shots that support what he is saying into the video and using his audio as voice- over. I like the narration, but you really need to cut the end sentence on most of the interview, the "wish us luck, or we'll see how it goes" lines. Not trying to be too critical to Shayne here because I do the same thing and never know what to say when the camera is in my face. There was one shot of the magpies on the carcass that doesn't make sense chronologically, it was a great shot and needs to be included, but possibly at the end as you guys are getting ready to pack out???
I noticed a few other spots where the editing was a tiny bit rough. I'll watch it again later and see if I can put up the timecodes where I saw it.
I think if you shorten slightly or even speed up your camp shots and trim the narration down to essential information you'll get closer to your projected time, and will actually flow much better.
All in all, it was a great video. I know how much effort you guys put into this and with a little tweaking it will be world class. Well done! Oh, one more thing. I would really reccomend that you edit out the unit number at the end of the video. You may find yourself facing a lot more competition in your area next year and for the sake of others who also hunt the unit, they might not appreciate it. :) On the other hand, maybe everybody will be in your unit, instead of mine. :)

Excellent video, really enjoyed it. My 7 year old son said it was "good' and that's praise indeed!

I can't really offer advice to shorten the video sorry, it seemed like the perfect length.

Pity it has to be shortened but needs must, and i agree with the suggestions above.
Good choice of music as well.
Great job.
Cheers
Richard

I had watched this video yesterday while on the treadmill (elk vids get me motivate) before I seen that you posted on here, and really enjoyed it. Music went perfect with everything. I liked everything about it. I have to say, I'm mostly impressed with your trailer. Nice setup!
Anyway, I wouldn't change a thing, even the length.

Great video and congrats on a fine elk. I agree with above suggestions on how to trim it down to make the requirements. You could maybe shave a bit off the intro (gas pumping and some driving) if you still need to find more to trim off, although that won't get you too much.

how did the meat turn out? as there is so much debate on leaving elk overnight, I'm curious if you lost any meat and what parts (if so). Those one-lung or liver hits with no or minimal blood are so tough to decide on when its pitch dark.

Thanks! I think I will trim some of the intro. The meat turned out fine. We left a good portion of the neck due to a greenish tint but that was it. It was a super tough decision to wait overnight. The video doesn't portray it as well because after we did the interview where it was getting dark we continued looking for blood but never found any. With not knowing that it knicked a lung we felt we could have walked up and bumped it and then never found it.

I had watched this video yesterday while on the treadmill (elk vids get me motivate) before I seen that you posted on here, and really enjoyed it. Music went perfect with everything. I liked everything about it. I have to say, I'm mostly impressed with your trailer. Nice setup!
Anyway, I wouldn't change a thing, even the length.

Thanks for the kind words and glad you enjoyed it! It is tough to cut as all the shots were part of the hunt and hunters like us appreciate seeing it all. It will be difficult to cut but some of the interviews can go.

Great job Steve and Shayne both on the bull and the video! Steve, you did a great job on getting shots that tell a compelling story. I like your choice of music, it went well with the mood of your shots and your story line.
I agree with most of the comments already mentioned. I do like the day 1,day 2, day 3, screens but they could be shortened a bit. Also when Shayne is doing his updates if you show him talking just a few seconds before bringing other shots that support what he is saying into the video and using his audio as voice- over. I like the narration, but you really need to cut the end sentence on most of the interview, the "wish us luck, or we'll see how it goes" lines. Not trying to be too critical to Shayne here because I do the same thing and never know what to say when the camera is in my face. There was one shot of the magpies on the carcass that doesn't make sense chronologically, it was a great shot and needs to be included, but possibly at the end as you guys are getting ready to pack out???
I noticed a few other spots where the editing was a tiny bit rough. I'll watch it again later and see if I can put up the timecodes where I saw it.
I think if you shorten slightly or even speed up your camp shots and trim the narration down to essential information you'll get closer to your projected time, and will actually flow much better.
All in all, it was a great video. I know how much effort you guys put into this and with a little tweaking it will be world class. Well done! Oh, one more thing. I would really reccomend that you edit out the unit number at the end of the video. You may find yourself facing a lot more competition in your area next year and for the sake of others who also hunt the unit, they might not appreciate it. :) On the other hand, maybe everybody will be in your unit, instead of mine. :)

This is the great, honest feedback that I need.Thanks to MKotur325 and MHMT as well for great feedback that I can use to shorten it. I will post it on this thread once changes have been made. I will remove the unit # for the film festival submission and replace with the Region. The magpie shot was actually from an elk someone else harvested prior to us being there. We hiked past it a few times and I thought it was interesting but you are right it doesn't fit. Thanks again Gerald for the feedback! It is very much appreciated.

Very cool video. I'm sure that took a lot of work. Well done!
I would have a hard time shortening it, but sounds like you got some good advice.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back