Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2012 Broadhead Review

What brand of broadhead are using this year?

• Total voters
Broadheads

Wasp 100 gr Jak Hammers have been my go to broadhead for the last 10 yrs. Shot bears, moose, lots of deer and few antelope with them. Strong sturdy heads. Fly like darts and leave massive wound channels, large, but short blood trails!

I shoot 125gr. Muzzy 3-blades from my compound.

I shot a Rage 2-blade at a javelina last year. I missed the javi but the broadhead did a number on the barrel cactus behind it (missed high).

This year I used my recurve and shot a javi with a 125gr Magnus Stinger, got good penetration with the cut on contact broadhead/low KE bow set up.

LNGBOWFLYER...

What say you on the Swhackers?

Still no word from any Swhacker users...

I am also surprised at the anount of archers that use multiple brands of broadheads...not for different bows, but for the same one.

I use the 100gr Shuttle-T's for turkey, antelope, mule and whitetail deer, bear and elk. I also carried them on my moose and mountain goat hunts but ended up using my .300 WinMag for both.

Why different broadheads out of the same bow? Why not just tune your bow properly and use one quality head? It would seem that there could be problems using multiple broadheads. Just asking...never had or saw a need for more than one good braodhead at a time.

LNGBOWFLYER...

What say you on the Swhackers?

I am a huge Slick Trick guy. So that being said it took a lot to switch broafheads this year. In my home state of WA where I hunt elk the Slick Trick 125 g magnum is my go to head. It still is since in WA mechanicals are illegal.

This year since I'm only hunting in NY and not WA I decided I wanted to see what all thw hype about mechanicals was. So I did a lot of research and went with the 125 g Swacker.

Upon initial inspection the seem pretty rugged. The cutting blades with a 1" single hegemony blade is thick and appears to be very durable and very Sharp. The 2.25" .032" thick slicing blades are scary Sharp and look resiliant and durable. Turning your broadheads into practise blades is pretty easy and only requires a small piece of electrical tape. All 6 heads I bought spun true. I paper tuned my bow, then bare shaft tuned it and finally walk back tuned it. Then I went to broadhead tune the Swackers to my field points but.... I didn't have to change anything. The grouped with my fieldpoints out to 50yds. (Furthest I shot). So they shot very well.

Overall so far it seems to he a good broadhead. I really like the concept how the blades don't swing open until its in the vitals so this should really help penetration. As soon as Sept 27th comes around I will post a review about how well it kills.

I a reaper guy for dear, but still undecided for elk, havent drawn a tag yet so no need to rush. Any suggestions for elk?

I am a huge Slick Trick guy. So that being said it took a lot to switch broafheads this year. In my home state of WA where I hunt elk the Slick Trick 125 g magnum is my go to head. It still is since in WA mechanicals are illegal.

This year since I'm only hunting in NY and not WA I decided I wanted to see what all thw hype about mechanicals was. So I did a lot of research and went with the 125 g Swacker.

Upon initial inspection the seem pretty rugged. The cutting blades with a 1" single hegemony blade is thick and appears to be very durable and very Sharp. The 2.25" .032" thick slicing blades are scary Sharp and look resiliant and durable. Turning your broadheads into practise blades is pretty easy and only requires a small piece of electrical tape. All 6 heads I bought spun true. I paper tuned my bow, then bare shaft tuned it and finally walk back tuned it. Then I went to broadhead tune the Swackers to my field points but.... I didn't have to change anything. The grouped with my fieldpoints out to 50yds. (Furthest I shot). So they shot very well.

Overall so far it seems to he a good broadhead. I really like the concept how the blades don't swing open until its in the vitals so this should really help penetration. As soon as Sept 27th comes around I will post a review about how well it kills.

Thank you for the update, as I am very interested in seeing how they perform. I watched basically an infomercial on them and they looked stout and sharp. Please keep us informed on their performance and your luck, I'm sure there are more out there intersted besides myself. Good luck and thank you.

I a reaper guy for dear, but still undecided for elk, havent drawn a tag yet so no need to rush. Any suggestions for elk?

Thanks for visiting the poll. As far as a broadhead for elk goes, I'm not going to say which out there is the best. There are a few recent threads concerning this exact topic with some good info to help you make up your own mind.

I have killed 6 elk in the last 6 years with 100gr Shuttle-T's. Before that I used NAP and had good luck with them but they did not tune as easily. A good friend of mine swears by Muzzy and has great luck with them also, so I can't knock his choice because I've witnessed first hand how they performed. I know some guys that use the Slick Tricks and they seal the deal too. As you can see from the poll, it's all about personal preference and what works for that person. In all reality, there are probably a bunch of good broadheads out there as long as you have a well tuned bow.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply and info. I was just unsure on the reapers for elk. Hopefully next year this will be a decision I have to make....

Your Grim Reapers should be fine for elk as long as yoy have the enough horsepower. But I know alot of elk have been killed with pass throughs by the 1 3/8" razor tips. What's your set up like. As long as your making 60 ft lbs KE the razor tips should work fine.

Ive been using Slick Tricks for a few years now. The have the same point of impact as field tips for me and nothing Ive shot with them has gone far.

One reason I started this thread/poll was because I've been thinking about changing broadheads and I wanted to know what everyone thought about the different broadheads out there.

I've been using 100gr Shuttle-T Locks since '05 or '06 (when they were made by Tight Point...they are made by Trophy Taker now, right here in MT). I've had great luck with them over the years until the last couple of years, where I've had only marginal performance out of them. The blades are injection molded and they just haven't seemed as rugged or as sharp as they used to be...although they still fly great out of my bow.

Well, I didn't change before the season started. I planned on using up my remaining broadheads and then switching in the winter/spring. But now I am rethinking that decision. In the past few days, I've filled both my Deer A tag and my Elk tag, and the broadheads did a great job, like they always used to do in years past.

I'm wondering if Trophy Taker made a few bad batches and I was unfortunate enough to buy some of them, or what the deal is/was.

I guess I'll keep reviewing broadheads and see what next year brings. Now, I need to go test my remaining broadheads on an antelope.

Attachments

• DSCN0983.jpg
    DSCN0983.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 1,204
Last edited:
100 grain Thunderheads. . . .yeah kind of old school I guess, just not very trusting of the mechanicals. . .I'm sure they are awesome, but . . . . .

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back