Caribou Gear

2012 Broadhead Review

What brand of broadhead are using this year?

• Total voters
I shot these bucks with grim reapers out of 53# bows @27" draw and arrows around 300 gr total
Shot this one opening day this year 52 yds quarterd away hit the shoulder on the other side and stoped buck went 30yd and died dead
006.jpg

shot this one last year at 42 yds made a hell of an entrance hole
DSC01430.jpg

070.jpg

complet passthrough on this buck at 7yds big bodied deer he went about 100yds actually the furthest of anything I shot with a grim reaper
09bowbuck.jpg

pass through on this deer through both shoulder blades at 25 yds he went about 50yds and died
septbuck.jpg

Shuttle -T's! Only broadhead I've paid for out of my own pocket in over 10 years.

Killed these 3 critters with the SAME HEAD. Just washed off the blood and put in replacement blades - although the blades were just fine to sharpen and shoot again.
Bull was 14 yards - complete pass through with a couple broken ribs. Antelope was 21 yards with a broken shoulder blade and 10 yard pass through. Muley was a shank and hit spine where it stopped, but broke the spine at 41 yards.......
Cade2011.jpg
cade2010-1.jpg
Goat 1.jpg

Killed a muley this fall. Hit a little forward and it penetrated the shoulder blade, broke an opposite side rib and was lying 5 yards on the other side of my buck who was a touch over 50 yards when I released.
cadedeer3.jpg

Exit wound on my brothers Idaho muley from this fall.
Jake2012Idaho1.jpg

I gave him a couple packs this fall and he was amazed. He's had success with Montecs the last few years but said they don't even compare. I've got a toolbox full of muzzy, phantoms, innerloc, thunderheads, etc. that I just need to discard of...........
-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

My buddy shot a spike elk in the shoulder this year using a 125 grain shwacker, it got 3 inches of penetration. Hes shooting an 80 pound omen pro at 29 inches flinging a 460 grain arrow around 330 fps? The broad head broke off in the insert with no damage done to the arrow it self. We think it was just too much energy hitting a solid target for the head to take. Not saying it was great shot placement but I cant help but think the situation may of been better with a solid fixed blade.
Ill stick to my shuttle t's.

I am a HUGE Slick Trick fan. But.... I am always tinkering and trying new stuff. So the next time I am able to head back home to WA to hunt elk I will be using the new Shuttle T Black Ops. Those things sound and look way too awesome not to try out. Plus Dan Evans seems like a really stand up giy and the kind of person I like giving my business too.

Until then I will be using the Swhackers in my tree stand for Whitetails up here at Ft. Drum, NY.

Used Muzzy MX3 for years but switching to the Exodus. Love the idea can't wait to try them out.

125 gr. 3-blade Wensel Woodsman

They're a fixed, glue-on head that I mount on wood arrows.

Fixed blade for me. And I still use the old Thunderheads. I bought tons of them a bit ago on clearance. I think they're awesome and never had a problem with them.

this is a subject I feel very strongly about when it comes to broadhead selection for large, tough, animals like Elk. IMO the only way to go is with a fixed blade with a hardened tip for penetration, and bone breaking to get to the vitals. Muzzy, Thunderheads, G5s to name a few all work great.
for deer size game any broadhead that you shoot best out of your set-up will work, but please consider a fixed blade for Elk and larger game.

One question to consider. have you personally witnessed or seen one TV a expandable broadhead do a complete pass-thru on an Elk or Moose???

My brother knocked down his bull with a muzzy fixed blade with replaceable blades. The arrow hit a rib on the entry and somehow took a 90 degree turn and came out the back of the stomach cavity sticking into the inside of one of the hind quarters. The bull was 30 yards out perfectly broadside. Fell in less than 100 yards.

this is a subject I feel very strongly about when it comes to broadhead selection for large, tough, animals like Elk. IMO the only way to go is with a fixed blade with a hardened tip for penetration, and bone breaking to get to the vitals. Muzzy, Thunderheads, G5s to name a few all work great.
for deer size game any broadhead that you shoot best out of your set-up will work, but please consider a fixed blade for Elk and larger game.

One question to consider. have you personally witnessed or seen one TV a expandable broadhead do a complete pass-thru on an Elk or Moose???

Watch a Primos Big Bulls video and you will see pass throughs on elk A LOT!!!!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back