2 Fall Trips, am I crazy? (eastern guys)

Did 2 round trips out west from Tennessee last year, about 3 weeks apart. One to Wyoming, one to SE Montana. 7000+ miles on the truck, couple tire rotations and 3 oil changes in one month. Had one other driver both times which was nice. Did an 18hr day the first day so the second wasn't so bad.

Planning on doing it again this year!

Last edited:
Yep. Just turned 50 and drove from Pittsburgh to central Wyoming for antelope in October, flew to Kodiak in November for deer, hunted my home state in December and then drove out to Wyoming again for cow elk in January. The Wyoming drive is about 26 hours for me and I usually do it solo.

No reason not to if you can. I hunted 36 days last year, scouted about 20, plus about 8 more this winter for lion. Still doesn't feel like enough. Its never enough. Do it if you can, because you're probably not going to be able to every year for ever.

Sounds like you need a fourth person to split the driving and packing meat out on that elk hunt....

Nobodies brought up this point, but I would suggest just moving to the West. To save money, of course.

Just like hunting for meat saves me money. But seriously, most definitely take 2 trips.

Absolutely do it. Then you have some flexibly for weather and so on.

Where do you live?

Do it !! I usually take two trips : Saskatchewan waterfowl - 3950miles round trip. Ontario whitetails 2800 miles round trip. Sometimes Kansas whitetails - 3000 miles or Utah elk 4600 miles. I hate flying !! Even worse this year. If I was at an airport where the liberals were protesting Trump and they caused me to miss a flight - I would need bail money !!!

I've done 3-4 trips many years. Do it, you not getting younger. Although sometimes that many trips will require some flying instead of driving.

You're crazy NOT to come hunt in the West every chance you get.

Bingo!!!
This year plan is elk in Sept and mulies in Oct, have done similar in past, you won't regret it!!!
being from east... only advice is do what you can to get in shape and/or stay that way.

Absolutely do it. Then you have some flexibly for weather and so on.

Where do you live?

Scranton, PA

lol alright well I'm doing it, I pitched it to him last night and my mom texted me thanks for that T.... apparently he got all worked up not understanding why one trip can't satisfy me. The end of the phone call I said I'm going with or without you so lemme know if you're interested, he'll come lol I just don't understand, he's retired but saying it's too much driving in 8 weeks... I'll change his mind

I've got a similar problem. Not sure if it's because he's getting old and likes to complain or simply because he's my dad. But what I've done in the past (when we draw early archery season, he goes to Alaska last week of August). Me and my buddy drive out there with all our stuff and his. We scout for a couple days and hunt until he flies in. I make the 6 hour roundtrip drive after morning hunt and am able to make it back for the afternoon hunt. I'll gladly take the 6 hour drive than hear it for the 24 all the way out there. Just gotta make sure the french vanilla coffee creamer is in camp otherwise we gotta stop and pick it up.

Might consider picking him up on the way out there if that's his only hang up.

For me personally, I'd think about doing it all in one trip, but that depends on whether you prefer archery or gun and if you want to experience both then that would be the ticket. Good luck, once the marriage thing comes along and you throw in a kid or two your priorities change in life.

Sounds perfectly sane to me...I plan on doing the same this year and if I get lucky on the antelope draw, I will do 3 trips. Can't wait. Good Luck!

I've got a similar problem. Not sure if it's because he's getting old and likes to complain or simply because he's my dad. But what I've done in the past (when we draw early archery season, he goes to Alaska last week of August). Me and my buddy drive out there with all our stuff and his. We scout for a couple days and hunt until he flies in. I make the 6 hour roundtrip drive after morning hunt and am able to make it back for the afternoon hunt. I'll gladly take the 6 hour drive than hear it for the 24 all the way out there. Just gotta make sure the french vanilla coffee creamer is in camp otherwise we gotta stop and pick it up.

Might consider picking him up on the way out there if that's his only hang up.

hahaha! i believe it's a combo of age and being the dad, he's always have to have control of the situation and if he doesn't he complains.

I believe I may get him airline tickets for his birthday if he's gonna whine loL!

Why not throw a 3rd trip in there and make a stop in the Dakotas for some waterfowl and pheasants? I know bird hunting is pretty darn good in Montana but hey why not!

I've been contemplating something similar but instead do Wyoming in October (Mule deer and Antelope) and then go to Arizona in January to chase Coues deer.

One year I did ND for waterfowl in Oct and CO for elk in Nov. One of the best years of my life.
HD

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back