1st Whitetail

MLaird

My son got his first WT buck this morning. We went and helped a rancher with his branding last spring and in return he gave us permission to come hunt.

We were out yesterday and the bucks were rutting hard. We were watching a nice 5x4 pushing does most of the morning. He finally started working our way and buck fever started to set in(even for me!) Finally, it stopped broadside at 150 yds. And buck fever completed its task, my son had a clean miss laying prone. Needless to say we were bummed.

We only had half a day to hunt today. So when I saw a doe in the river bottom I decided to fill my general tag. As soon I shot 10 WTs that were bedded and unseen jumped up. One of them was this buck. So I rolled off the gun, he rolled on and made a nice, quick shot that double lunged it. It took us about 45 min to track it down in the brush, it died about 100 yards from were he shot it. Not a huge rack but one of the biggest bodies on a WT that I’ve ever seen. Game check station biologist said he is 4 1/2 years old.

IMG_5731.jpeg

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back