PEAX Equipment

16C 2nd Archery

rogadoga

Hey all NM elk hunters,
I drew a 16c NM 2nd season elk tag. I've been scouring maps, Google Earth, Gohunt, anything else I can find that will help with preparing for this hunt. Planning on a couple scouting trips and hunting the entire season if needed. I've spoken with a few guys that have archery hunted this unit and some NMFG people gathering as much info as possible. Sounds like the most popular place to be is in the southern part of the unit. Anyone out there archery hunted here? Would love to hear any stories about anyone's hunt. Not looking for your secret spots, just some info on what to expect as far as terrain, elk #'s, bull quality, hunter #'s etc.
The northern section of the unit looks like it has plenty of access. Does the easy terrain lend itself to heavy hunting pressure?
Please PM me if you can help me out. Really appreciate it!

I've hunted there, no longer apply there.

Watch Randy's youtube on how he selects areas to hunt and you'll be just fine.

Have hunted that unit several times on bow hunts. Have had some decent chances but was unable to get a shot off. Have been on rifle hunts the past 2 yrs. and again this year with friends. 2 yrs ago my friends son took a nice 6x6 45 mins into his hunt. Guess would be a 320 bull. Last year was hot and same hunter only had 1 day to hunt due to school. Went driving around after dark and had plenty of nice bulls out, but could not find them during the day. That unit does carry some big bulls, but can be hard to find. It will be a great hunt and you will have a great time.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back