110BA Stealth ???

Mark S

Good morning to everyone. Im looking for a new rifle and think I have found it but there isn't much info and feed back on it. Wondering if anyone has any info or reviews ?
Savage 110 BA Stealth 300 Win Mag

These are good rifles. Depends on your purpose for owning it. I've not shot the 300 Win version, just the Lapua. Accurate, good trigger, effective brake, good fit for me using a Harris bipod rest. You can change out the buttstock with most any AR15 stock, which is nice if you need a specific fit or cheekpiece. Took a little while to find a load it liked, but we got it under 1/2MOA with 280gr Barnes TTSX bullets, and with 300gr SMK's.

Negatives: The safety isn't positioned well for this style stock. Heavy, plus the weight of a good scope. If you are OK with a 13 pound rifle, then this isn't an issue. I draw the line at 10 pounds for any hunting rifle and prefer 8 pounds in everything but the largest cartridges. They are not easy to carry with anything other than a sling.

If you want a long range rifle or a fun paper puncher, these are solid and priced well. For a hunting arm, note the tradeoffs above.

Jeremy

Looks like they shaved off a few pounds. Not sure about a 24" for the 338LM, you will be losing velocity. It is still not a hunting weight rifle. I would look for the original 110BA 338LM. If you by the original, the first thing to do is remove the stupid picatinny three sided rail. It serves no function and only adds weight. Add a 30-40 MOA base and with the right load workup, you will easily have a mile plus steel banger.

These are good rifles. Depends on your purpose for owning it. I've not shot the 300 Win version, just the Lapua. Accurate, good trigger, effective brake, good fit for me using a Harris bipod rest. You can change out the buttstock with most any AR15 stock, which is nice if you need a specific fit or cheekpiece. Took a little while to find a load it liked, but we got it under 1/2MOA with 280gr Barnes TTSX bullets, and with 300gr SMK's.

Negatives: The safety isn't positioned well for this style stock. Heavy, plus the weight of a good scope. If you are OK with a 13 pound rifle, then this isn't an issue. I draw the line at 10 pounds for any hunting rifle and prefer 8 pounds in everything but the largest cartridges. They are not easy to carry with anything other than a sling.

If you want a long range rifle or a fun paper puncher, these are solid and priced well. For a hunting arm, note the tradeoffs above.

Jeremy

The weight is not an issue for me not that im a super mountain hiker man I just have always preferred a heavier rifle so its one of those things a heavier rifle packing through the woods and hills or a light rifle that for some reason doesn't feel right at the shoulder. Plus I still have my old patrol sling which makes the carry a bit nicer. Thanks for the info and your thoughts on this rifle !

Fair Chase,

We got 2680fps out of the 24" barrel with the 300SMK and Retumbo. That was fast enough for our purposes. The rifle should be about perfect with the .300 Win in terms of low recoil, and decent velocity. With the 1:9.3 twist it will handle even some of the long monometal bullets like the Cutting Edge offerings. If you don't mind the price tag, the Cutting Edge bullets are impressive in accuracy, quality and terminal performance.

I agree with the comment on the scope base. Replace the factory with a 20MOA or more base to get the most out of this rifle.

Jeremy

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back