Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Region 7 mule deer does in Montana

mtnman375

Me and some friends got some b tags and we are going to make a trip in the next few weeks and just wanted to see if any one knows any one we could help out or we are off to blm and state ground

Also any tips on where to find good numbers of deer would be outstanding

This post illustrates what is wrong with the Region 7 doe tags. Too many hunters buy these tags and do not have access to property where doe numbers could use a little thinning. The truth is that on most of the bigger blocks of Public deer numbers have yet to recover from past winters. The blanket doe tags are part of the problem.
Mtnaman375, I don't blame you for wanting to fill your tags. If you are listening to FWP you could easily get the impression that deer are over running Region 7. There are some private lands that have and abundance of deer, Not so much for the public land.
If you have to fill the tags on public, Looks for small bits of public that is close to agriculture fields. There may be a good population of deer in the area. The big blocks of Public are over harvested.

Me and some friends got some b tags and we are going to make a trip in the next few weeks and just wanted to see if any one knows any one we could help out or we are off to blm and state ground

You had to be half tuned when you put this out there right?

South of Miles City there are a lot of farms along the Tongue River. Many of them are in the Block Management Program. The deer come in to the alfalfa fields in the morning and evening from miles around .not the place to find a trophy but a doe should be somewhat easy.

Hard to fault hunters for wanting to fill tags that Montana gives out but sad to see in the same sense for sportsmen that care about a resource. As for getting on private land more and more landowners are seeing hunters as more of a nuisance than the does on their field.

It amazes me that MT doesn’t turn a portion of those B tags into private land only tags especially in region 7. WY does a great job in many areas with such type tags.

Last edited:
It amazes me that MT doesn’t turn a portion of those B tags into private land only tags especially in region 7. WY does a great job in many areas with such type tags.

They should but they won't cuz they don't get it obviously

I'd suggest bloom creek road. If there's not a coffee stand on Diamond Butte, there's plenty of camps along the road that might have coffee. I run a French press in that country, but I don't share my excellent coffee with doe-killers. You won't have any troubles finding hunters to ask for help in person in that area.

Seems like you got a little bit of good info - I would give the Block Management employees a call. They have been very helpful in planning our hunt out there mid-november. Shouldn't be hard to find the phone numbers on any of the r7 #2 block management info pamphlets.

I'd suggest bloom creek road. If there's not a coffee stand on Diamond Butte, there's plenty of camps along the road that might have coffee. I run a French press in that country, but I don't share my excellent coffee with doe-killers. You won't have any troubles finding hunters to ask for help in person in that area.

Why go gravel road? You can drive the highway between Miles City and Broadus and do just fine without risking rock chips, dust, or wash board roads.

Stainless steel, dented. Last thing I'd want would be to lose my coffee press on the side of the road.

EDF5033B-729A-4F0C-A371-2AB4259142BC.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back